Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft

i said early in his cal career that ivan was the best rebounder in cal history
    not sure of the early days, but i think he's shown it
    you need to have at least one elite skill to make the nba
    i think he does
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Re: LaVar and his fat annoying mouth!

I always felt a bit guilty rooting for the lakers, but Showtime was so exciting and the warriors sucked so badly!
    These past years there's been nothing to cheer about with the lakers, except kobe's retirement.

If they draft Ball, I will swear them off entirely. I hate the balls, it's fun to cheer AGAINST them.
    Lonzo seems cool but I don't like the family.
    I would love love love it if Magic et al in LA draft someone else!!!!!! Like, go to Memphis or timberwolves, some dark hole far away with no team and no media. Pick your death destination. (Sac would get too much local coverage, otherwise qualifies).

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    i said early in his cal career that ivan was the best rebounder in cal history
    not sure of the early days, but i think he's shown it
    you need to have at least one elite skill to make the nba
    i think he does
    I agree but that is not his one elite skill....Ivan has the BEST hands of any big man in the draft (can anyone remember him ever fumbling a pass?) and he can finish with either hand (actually probably better with his left than his right)....his hands are a major reason that he is an elite rebounder...if he gets a finger on it, it's his....he also shot the 3 ball quite well with a limited sample size (8-20), but enough to show the ability and the very true possibility of improvement with the time devoted by NBA teams....
    Last edited by bearmanpg; 05-19-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Regarding Ball, Fultz, and the Celtics:

The Celtics are in a quandry. Thomas is the "heart" of the team, but he's 5-9 tops, and about to turn 30. A longterm contract (which he will want) may not make sense. Historically, short guys have short careers (good pun!) because once they lose quickness, they have nothing else to rely upon. Thus, drafting a pg makes sense, but a Fultz or Ball aren't going to want to sit on the bench for a few years waiting. Also, Ball and the Lakers both want him there. I can see Boston threatening to take Ball to force the Lakers to trade up with them, or even drafting Ball, then trading him to LA. Then they can get Fultz, someone else, and not have to deal with LaVar.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Regarding Ball, Fultz, and the Celtics:

The Celtics are in a quandry. Thomas is the "heart" of the team, but he's 5-9 tops, and about to turn 30. A longterm contract (which he will want) may not make sense. Historically, short guys have short careers (good pun!) because once they lose quickness, they have nothing else to rely upon. Thus, drafting a pg makes sense, but a Fultz or Ball aren't going to want to sit on the bench for a few years waiting. Also, Ball and the Lakers both want him there. I can see Boston threatening to take Ball to force the Lakers to trade up with them, or even drafting Ball, then trading him to LA. Then they can get Fultz, someone else, and not have to deal with LaVar.
    The Celtics would probably be wise to just trade Isaiah, because the market for him will never be higher, and he's still on a cheap deal. This series with Cleveland should also show them that, as good as he's been, they're not winning a title with him as their best player. And, as you mention, he's getting older.

If I'm the Lakers, I don't fall for the Lonzo threat. If the Celtics want to take Ball, take Fultz, who would also fit right in with the Lakers. I wouldn't give up assets to move up and take Ball, when you can simply take Fultz at #2. I've also heard rumblings of the Lakers trading #2 to Indy for Paul George. That also makes zero sense. He will opt out after next year and wants to go to L.A. So, wait a year and sign him as a FA, and keep the #2. Trading #2 for him would be a huge mistake.

Fultz is a far more versatile player. He can be a scorer which the Celtics definitely need and play with or without IT with potentially better defense than Ball- Thomas is a huge defensive liability. If the Celtics trade 1, it wouldn't be for Ball but for a Jimmy Butler type but the hope is Jaylen is on the way to that. They need elite talent and some size if they are to move up from bridesmaid

agree with all of this, although the Lakers have been known to make big mistakes...

I'm intrigued by De'Aaron Fox at #2 to the Lakers. It would also be worth it just to see LaVar Ball's reaction if the Lakers were to pass on Lonzo.

Fox has an explosive first step, mad handles, and is really fast end to end. His shooting form looks good. Super athletic kid w/ skills. very light at 6'4" 170-180, so that's a concern.

Lonzo Ball is also very intriguing.... honestly if his J didn't look so whack, it would be way easier to accept his being the #1 or #2 pick... he shot over 40% from 3 and showed deep NBA range.

Quote Originally Posted by rathokan View Post
    I'm intrigued by De'Aaron Fox at #2 to the Lakers. It would also be worth it just to see LaVar Ball's reaction if the Lakers were to pass on Lonzo.

Fox has an explosive first step, mad handles, and is really fast end to end. His shooting form looks good. Super athletic kid w/ skills. very light at 6'4" 170-180, so that's a concern.

Lonzo Ball is also very intriguing.... honestly if his J didn't look so whack, it would be way easier to accept his being the #1 or #2 pick... he shot over 40% from 3 and showed deep NBA range.
    Fox 3% is in the 20s. Who cares about his form?

Quote Originally Posted by rathokan View Post

I saw an ESPN Sports Science on Lonzo's jumper. Pretty interesting. As I recall, he still has an extremely quick release, even though the fact he brings the ball from the left side of his head forces the release to travel 20% farther than normal. I think it was a hair faster than Klay Thompson, and much faster than the the NBA league average. He does some hand rotation or something at the last second to square it up. Still, it's really bizarre. Imagine how fast his release would be if he shot from the correct side.

Quote Originally Posted by oski003 View Post
    Fox 3% is in the 20s. Who cares about his form?
    I think I read that he shot 37.5% from three the 2nd half of the season. his shooting is a big question mark, but I've read/seen reports that his numbers were skewed by a poor shooting first half of the season. I've not confirmed by digging, though.

so Fox went 10-28 3pt his last 15 games for 35.7%. only 2 attempts per game.

Fultz and Thomas are UW buddies. There's a story out there that says they'd be great together, with Thomas moving to a SG role. They've scrimmaged together last year in Seattle and commented positively them about playing together.

Fwiw.