Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chase Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Bottom line, he sacrificed academics to play with the highest profile program, thinking his talent will overcome pt issues and whatever caused him to not produce in his two years at Duke.
    What caused him not to produce is that he is not very good. His reputation has always been a mystery to me. Nevertheless, Cal has no one over 6'6'' who can play so he is a loss.

Sluggo

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    What caused him not to produce is that he is not very good. His reputation has always been a mystery to me. Nevertheless, Cal has no one over 6'6'' who can play so he is a loss.

Sluggo
    Once again, your optimism is overwhelming. And you are wrong. We have two guys who are taller than 6'6 who will be starting next season. I'll bet they both affect the team in a very positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    Once again, your optimism is overwhelming. And you are wrong. We have two guys who are taller than 6'6 who will be starting next season. I'll bet they both affect the team in a very positive way.
    True, I meant the year after when Jeter would be available. Lee and Okoroh are both quality players.

Sluggo

Real Bear
    Then I will add YET to your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear19 View Post
    The way players are shopping around for other college teams to play for when something goes wrong at their original school is destroying college basketball. How can you develop any sense of interest in a team with constant turnover every year with a new car of players?

This has turned into "rent a team" every year. Colleges are now nothing more than a development league for the NBA, with players switching schools to get more playing time etc.
    Your comment sparks an interesting question.
    Should the players play for our enjoyment, or their own pleasure and development?

I know what my answer is.

Quote Originally Posted by joe yaks View Post
    It wouldn't have worked out anyway. CJ was wearing cargo shorts during his visit.
    Meaning...?
    He carries lots of baggage around with him???

I don't get it.

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Meaning...?
    He carries lots of baggage around with him???

I don't get it.
    Nice kid. Fashion statement. Our loss.
    Last edited by joe yaks; 05-17-2017 at 07:35 AM.

The players that come to a school to play bb should be playing for their free education...those that want to make bb their profession should play elsewhere. Of course, some who initially start out looking for a free educational opportunity end up being good enough to also become professional athletes.

Having seen Jeter in person when he played at Bishop Gorman, I too doubt Jeter's talent...I believe and have believed since I saw him that he was over rated....great size, decent athleticism, but a rather tepid demeanor on the court...not much fire which translates to being out played by most moderately good players his size...not as much a loss as most on this board seem to think IMO....

Quote Originally Posted by bearmanpg View Post
    Having seen Jeter in person when he played at Bishop Gorman, I too doubt Jeter's talent...I believe and have believed since I saw him that he was over rated....great size, decent athleticism, but a rather tepid demeanor on the court...not much fire which translates to being out played by most moderately good players his size...not as much a loss as most on this board seem to think IMO....
    There's plenty of reason to question Jeter's talent and potential contribution. I think it's a big question mark what will happen at Arizona. I can see it going several directions.

One quibble though having watched all of Jeter's college games: I think he does play with fire and a lot of energy. I think that's actually a strength of his. He just lacks that sixth sense or intuitive basketball feel that the good ones have. He lacks real basketball skill, footwork, etc. So, his evolution has been slow and things just come a bit more slowly for him despite having a good body for hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear19 View Post
    The way players are shopping around for other college teams to play for when something goes wrong at their original school is destroying college basketball. How can you develop any sense of interest in a team with constant turnover every year with a new car of players?

This has turned into "rent a team" every year. Colleges are now nothing more than a development league for the NBA, with players switching schools to get more playing time etc.
    +1000. Years from now we will question how that could have happened to a great game. Too bad

Matching-up with Ira Lee is Tucson should be good for Jeter.

... so Jeter is off the board. Where does Wyking now turn to secure a couple of high-level bigs?

Real Bear
    Jordan Brown. Tolu Jacobs Yaffa. KJ Hymes. Warren Washington. To name a few of our targets. Also bigs who want to transfer next year.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    Jordan Brown. Tolu Jacobs Yaffa. KJ Hymes. Warren Washington. To name a few of our targets. Also bigs who want to transfer next year.
    I can't remember: Any for 2017?