Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did we schedule both UNC and Ole Miss?

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Sagarin:

UNC avg 49th
    Old Miss avg 42nd

2015: Old Miss 6th
    2014: UNC 77th, Old Miss 8th
    2013: UNC 45th, Old Miss 27th
    2012: UNC 43th, Old Miss 24th
    2011: UNC 54th, Old Miss 103rd
    2010: UNC 41st, Old Miss 84th
    2009: UNC 33rd

Maybe Old Miss ranks an A spot when scheduled. But given there are about 5 higher "A" level teams in the SEC what constitutes a B from the SEC? Vandy? Kentucky? Those are C level.

For the record, our other "A" level games (as I would judge them)
    Texas (2016/15) (Averaged about 18th over previous 6 years when we scheduled them).
    (none in 2014)
    Ohio State (2013/12) (Averaged about 7th over previous 6 years when we scheduled them)
    (non in 2011-08)
    Tennessee in (2007/06) (Averaged about 18th over previous 6 years when we scheduled them)

IMO, lower tier is a team that is consistently in the bottom half of their conference or a decent mid major. A probable win. A team you SHOULD beat, because they are in the lower tier of the sport. A "C." Something Old Miss has flirted with during their recent history.

B teams would be Old miss of late (excluding 2016) and UNC. A team that is middle of their conference. A team that should give average teams a good game. Beat C teams and lose to A teams.

An A team is a team that you beat if you are doing VERY well. It is a recent history over achiever. A consistently top performing team (and because of that has a currently strong name, or over the long term develops a historically strong name).

I see how people could call Old Miss an A team this year, along the lines of Texas, Tennessee and Ohio State. I was excited when I saw their name on the schedule as though they were. But realistically, they are not. They are inconsistent. They typically dont leave their immediate region. They fall into the bottom third of the conference pretty regularly. They have had a good run as of when we scheduled them, and that name recognition... sure.

But complaining about freaking UNC as though they were even a B+? Are you kidding? They were the epitome of a B/B- when we scheduled them. No question. They also have flirted with being a C, but we definitely scheduled them as our B.

So, we effectively scheduled as soft as an A as we could with Old Miss, UNC as a B, and Weber State as our D(1AA). Saying our schedule is too good team heavy is absurd. UNC just wasnt good when we scheduled them. Old Miss was all over the place and looked like a great draw. It is similar to how most team (outside of the SEC) schedule. Of course we could stack Davis with SJSU, Idaho and UNLV every year like every team in the SEC, but ABC/D or BBC/D is typical scheduling.

My argument is that Old Miss as a team was really a B (coming off a C), UNC was really a B-.

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    History does not even matter. Down the road beating North Carolina will not have the same effect as beating a Florida State, and beating Ole Miss will not have the same effect as beating an Alabama or Florida. Even if we beat these teams when they are in the Top 5, that will not matter like beating Texas like we did the last 2 years. Name recognition matters, not records! To recruits, anyway.
    I agree with that, but this thread is SOS and you HAVE to take into account SOS when we sceduled them for that.

Michigan State (x2) was also a great non A level win, I think.

FCS opponents are C games. FBS schools, even Rutgers and Hawaii should be at least B.

Unlike us, USC guys never ***** about their schedule.
    We're not USC. Probably never will be. So it's comparing Cal to USC is comparing apples to oranges. Cal is trying to re-build their program. So at this point I would try to schedule softer non conference opponents. It's not as much about creating excitement with fans as much as it is about players gaining confidence and momentum.

We scheduled these two because Alabama and Clemson were not available in 2017!
    Go Bears!

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by AEM80 View Post
    We're not USC. Probably never will be. So it's comparing Cal to USC is comparing apples to oranges. Cal is trying to re-build their program. So at this point I would try to schedule softer non conference opponents. It's not as much about creating excitement with fans as much as it is about players gaining confidence and momentum.
    Well said. I know that games have to be set years in advance, but this schedule is not what our team needs in 2017. Not that there is ever a good time for a reboot, but this transition is particularly challenging.
    Last edited by chazzed; 05-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Possibly true. But at least some of the posts here, like I hope you can see mine, aren't complaining about the schedule, just thinking about the statement, made earlier, that USC has a tougher schedule. It's an interesting question, open to debate.

My main point is that UNC and Ole Miss are not C teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
    That is absolutely the wrong way to view this, no offense.

We scheduled Ol Miss in 2015. UNC in 2014. UNC's recent success (and Old Miss's failure in 2016) are irrelevant to their scheduling.

I would agree that NOW UNC would be a solid B or higher, and Old Miss would be a marquee name B+/A- (Ignoring 2016).

When we scheduled them, BOTH were consistently at or below .500 in conference, UNC was kicking around .500+ while old Miss was all over the place. Old Miss's great records are produced through playing 3-4 C level teams a year. That does not make you an A level. Their finish in 2015 (when we announced) pushed them to an A-, but since they played 2016, I would say easily a B.

Again, the point is Old Miss (if scheduled as an "A" team) was name only. Not performance. UNC was NEVER what the OP is claiming before we scheduled them. They were ABSOLUTELY unequivocally a B team (a C team with a good name from another sport, and a known conference pushing them to B).

And yes, Cal is lower tier. Obviously. Playing teams that would be comparably lower than us would be difficult.
    My main argument was with the characterization of UNC and Ole Miss as C teams. I stand by that argument, whether looking at Sagarin records now or in 2015/2014 when we scheduled them. They are not C teams. Hawai'i was a C team, as are FCS opponents. I think if the statement that UNC and Ole Miss are B teams rather than "B or C" teams, I would not have disagreed really.

To be clear, I am not in the camp that is complaining that our OOC schedule is too hard, as perhaps the OP was. I'm good with our schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by OneKeg View Post
    Possibly true. But at least some of the posts here, like I hope you can see mine, aren't complaining about the schedule, just thinking about the statement, made earlier, that USC has a tougher schedule. It's an interesting question, open to debate.
    I have been seeing this **** on the forums for probably the last 5-6 seasons, every pre-season we get the "our schedule is fucking tough" bitching and moaning. Fucking done with it. If we play Alabama and get pasted, that tells us what we need to improve upon. Do we want to compete with top teams or not, you don't get there by playing soft competition. If we cruise through a cupcake OOC schedule, how does that prepare us for the conference schedule? Making a run for Pasadena? Unless we start pulling miracles like Bill Snyder at Kansas State, this nonsense gets us nowhere.

And anybody who thinks North Carolina and Ole Miss are "C" teams, grow a fucking brain. FCS and Sun Belt teams are C teams. Or maybe an awful power-5 team like Rutgers or Kansas.
    Last edited by Strykur; 05-19-2017 at 10:25 PM.

I agree with where you were going with this. However, we do complain about playing teams like Idaho, SJSU, etc...

I have been seeing this **** on the forums for probably the last 5-6 seasons, every pre-season we get the "our schedule is fucking tough" bitching and moaning. Fucking done with it. If we play Alabama and get pasted, that tells us what we need to improve upon. Do we want to compete with top teams or not, you don't get there by playing soft competition. If we cruise through a cupcake OOC schedule, how does that prepare us for the conference schedule? Making a run for Pasadena? Unless we start pulling miracles like Bill Snyder at Kansas State, this nonsense gets us nowhere.

And anybody who thinks North Carolina and Ole Miss are "C" teams, grow a fucking brain. FCS and Sun Belt teams are C teams. Or maybe an awful power-5 team like Rutgers or Kansas.
    Gets it! ^^^^

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Warrior View Post
    I agree with where you were going with this. However, we do complain about playing teams like Idaho, SJSU, etc...

Gets it! ^^^^
    Well, he loves Trump too.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Well, he loves Trump too.
    I'm just drawing a red line in the sand while surrounded by a sea of blue.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Warrior View Post
    I'm just drawing a red line in the sand while surrounded by a sea of blue.
    The best thing about sand is that it is typically surrounded by blue.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    The best thing about sand is that it is typically surrounded by blue.
    oh yeah
    3-9 and a 95% graduation rate trump a Rose Bowl

Worth mentioning that aside from the game, Ole Miss is the best road trip in college football, so that is worth something, OP.
    How so?