Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Austin McCullough

The thing I'll add is the competition he was playing against was not high level

But the reason I'm high on him is because of the array of shots he has, all with pretty good technique
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    Jorge.
    Knew his name would come up. Jorge played a national schedule at Findlay Prep and had HM's on him other than Cal. Jorge also led his Colorado HS team to a state title. Heck, Greg Hicks had him on his top 10 SG's list in the West Coast Class of 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Knew his name would come up. Jorge played a national schedule at Findlay Prep and had HM's on him other than Cal. Jorge also led his Colorado HS team to a state title. Heck, Greg Hicks had him on his top 10 SG's list in the West Coast Class of 2008.
    Did he have any offers from HM's? I kind of remember Cal being his only P5 offer, and Rivals only shows offers from Northern Colorado, UCSB & UTEP.

Quote Originally Posted by LOUMFSG2 View Post
    Did he have any offers from HM's? I kind of remember Cal being his only P5 offer, and Rivals only shows offers from Northern Colorado, UCSB & UTEP.
    This is an excerpt from a Scout.com article from Evan Daniels on February 14, 2008:

Among the schools that have shown interest are UTEP, Purdue, Minnesota, West Virginia, Murray State, Pepperdine, Northeastern, Miami (OH), SMU, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Providence, South Carolina, St. Louis and UNLV.

"Jorge indicated to me this morning that he's still wide open," Simon said. "He's interested to see what new is going to come down the pipe after the way he's played since he returned from his concussion."
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 05-19-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    In the Monty/Martin era, the only one I can remember who worked out was Kravish.
    Jorge

That's nice, but he was lightly recruited and available in the spring, which is what the criteria was

This is an excerpt from a Scout.com article from Evan Daniels on February 14, 2008:

Among the schools that have shown interest are UTEP, Purdue, Minnesota, West Virginia, Murray State, Pepperdine, Northeastern, Miami (OH), SMU, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Providence, South Carolina, St. Louis and UNLV.

"Jorge indicated to me this morning that he's still wide open," Simon said. "He's interested to see what new is going to come down the pipe after the way he's played since he returned from his concussion."
    We all know that getting interest from is not the same as getting offers from.

Jorge had no options even in the vicinity of Cal's.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Brandon Chauca was a zero star, unranked player with a couple of mid major offers. It was pretty clear the odds of how they would project
    Not true re. Chauca's offers. Besides Cal, he got late offers from Missouri, Virginia Tech and WSU.

That said, the list of people thinking he'd make waves was pretty slim.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    We all know that getting interest from is not the same as getting offers from.

Jorge had no options even in the vicinity of Cal's.
    The main reason for the lack of HM offers likely had more to do with the uncertainty of whether he'd get past the clearinghouse than his ability (starter for a team loaded with D-1 prospects that finished 2nd in the National Prep School Invitational). Many HM's were looking at him. He wasn't a guy Gregg Gottlieb pulled out from under a rock.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 05-20-2017 at 06:14 AM.

The main reason for the lack of HM offers likely had more to do with the uncertainty of whether he'd get past the clearinghouse than his ability (starter for a team loaded with D-1 prospects that finished 2nd in the National Prep School Invitational). Many HM's were looking at him. He wasn't a guy Gregg Gottlieb pulled out from under a rock.
    so looking > offers in the spring?

Quote Originally Posted by petalumabear View Post
    so looking > offers in the spring?
    Nope.

There are lots of programs that will roll the dice with barely literate players and still somehow get them in. Same with foreign players, multiple transfer, etc.

Jorge was a glue guy on some good teams. Tons of guys just like him barely get a look by D1 programs. But what they couldn't account for was his heart and tenacity, which drove his game.

Trying to make him out to be a recruit that multiple D1 programs seriously recruited in order to subtly denigrate a current recruit in comparison is a head-scratcher, though.

Memories dim with time and sometimes attempts are made to rewrite history.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    Nope.

There are lots of programs that will roll the dice with barely literate players and still somehow get them in. Same with foreign players, multiple transfer, etc.

Jorge was a glue guy on some good teams. Tons of guys just like him barely get a look by D1 programs. But what they couldn't account for was his heart and tenacity, which drove his game.

Trying to make him out to be a recruit that multiple D1 programs seriously recruited in order to subtly denigrate a current recruit in comparison is a head-scratcher, though.
    Where did I say "seriously recruited"? Or imply that? HM programs were looking at Jorge. That's a fact.

A couple of posters in here putting Jorge's name in this thread and attempting to compare him to the new signee is much more of a head scratcher. That's not fair to Jorge or McCullough.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    At this point, I just don't understand the negabears. If Cal is such a mess and you are so jaded and fed up with the AD and sports at Cal, why expend the effort to show up at all. Life is too short and there are so many things that you could do instead.

I am a pollyanna, and I just have hope. And I love Cal. I think everything is moving up. Progress forever (even if there are setbacks)!

Sorry to drop that rant in this thread, Austin.
    Put me down as a Pollyanna too. Go Bears!