Thread: One broadcaster's early take on Pac 12 next season

One broadcaster's early take on Pac 12 next season

FS and ex-Furd player Casey Jacobson sat next to me at an event and gave me his early summary:

Top 3: UofA with Trier back and despite losses in talent still is there, USC looks to be the favorite, and Oregon has a lot more left than most folks realize.

Next 3: UCLA has talent but too young, surprisingly Furd due to a couple players getting extra years (e.g., Travis would have gone early) and top 10 recruiting class, and dare I say it, Cal if their "big man lives-up to expectations or even ASU" He seemed to be aware of Cal's recent signings.

He has Utah and Colorado taking steps back, with WSU, Udub and OSU as uncertainties.

Is Lee that good?

Edit: this also may reflect that he doesn't see a huge drop off in coaching staff.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 05-18-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    FS and ex-Furd player Casey Jacobson sat next to me at an event and gave me his early summary:

Top 3: UofA with Trier back and despite losses in talent still is there, USC looks to be the favorite, and Oregon has a lot more left than most folks realize.

Next 3: UCLA has talent but too young, surprisingly Furd due to a couple players getting extra years (e.g., Travis would have gone early) and top 10 recruiting class, and dare I say it, Cal if their "big man lives-up to expectations or even ASU" He seemed to be aware of Cal's recent signings.

He has Utah and Colorado taking steps back, with WSU, Udub and OSU as uncertainties.

Is Lee that good?

Edit: this also may reflect that he doesn't see a huge drop off in coaching staff.
    The P12 looks to be down a little next season. The big boys continue to recruit well but the bottom half of the league is not that good. Stanford is improving. I think OSU could surprise. Not as high on ASU as Casey. I do see the top 5 as being UA, USC, UCLA, UO and Stanford. After that lots of things could happen. But Cal in the top half would be a big surprise. If they do finish 6th Wyking Jones will be P12 coach of the year. Not sure where the scoring will come from.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    The P12 looks to be down a little next season. The big boys continue to recruit well but the bottom half of the league is not that good. Stanford is improving. I think OSU could surprise. Not as high on ASU as Casey. I do see the top 5 as being UA, USC, UCLA, UO and Stanford. After that lots of things could happen. But Cal in the top half would be a big surprise. If they do finish 6th Wyking Jones will be P12 coach of the year. Not sure where the scoring will come from.
    Pac will have more parity this year, and be down in that regard from last year, where the three top teams clearly all had potential to go deep in the NCAAs.

In talking with Casey, he really puts a lot of emphasis on experienced bigs and points, which may be why he cuts Cal and Oregon some slack despite roster losses, he loves SC, and is down on Utah and UCLA more. ASU had a top 15 recruiting class and some transfers that will improve their talent and depth (not my words). So they are creeping upward. I think he views Lee as more of a scorer than we do, and said Cal has some shooters (after losing Bird and Moore, he must be talking about the frosh and the transfer). Casey lives in OC and gets a good look at the players coming out SoCal HS.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 05-19-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Sounds like he was being polite.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    Sounds like he was being polite.
    didn't know I was a Cal grad - it was a Furd function. Remember he saw a lot of Ayton, Ball no. 2, Okpala, Sueing, and Winston.

Is Lee that good?

Oregon's only returning rotation players are Payton Pritchard and Kavell Bigby-Williams. Other than that, they got a lot of newcomers, and of course Altman's track record of success regardless of what his roster's level of experience is.

Oregon State is returning basically everybody and getting Tres Tinkle back from injury and adding Ethan Thompson, the Mr.Basketball of state (CA) loaded with talent. I'd bet on them getting to the Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Oregon's only returning rotation players are Payton Pritchard and Kavell Bigby-Williams. Other than that, they got a lot of newcomers, and of course Altman's track record of success regardless of what his roster's level of experience is.

Oregon State is returning basically everybody and getting Tres Tinkle back from injury and adding Ethan Thompson, the Mr.Basketball of state (CA) loaded with talent. I'd bet on them getting to the Dance.
    I agree. I guess Drew Eubanks, who had preliminarily declared for the NBA draft, announced yesterday that he is withdrawing his name and returning to OSU. I was a little disappointed with them this year, even with the injuries, which were significant. I think it will be interesting to see how coach Tinkle gets them to perform next year.

Is Lee that good?

I'm wondering if he had done enough research for this to be an informed opinion or whether he was sort of winging this based on knowing SOME stuff... I agree with others about OSU. Things seem pretty known there. They have talent! Seems too optimistic about the Bears, in my opinion.

Yep Ore St should be well ahead of Cal. Ucla has a lot of talent coming in so I'd project them ahead of Oregon.

Oregon's only returning rotation players are Payton Pritchard and Kavell Bigby-Williams..
    Is Bigby-Williams coming back? He was considering transferring and was granted his release but that was a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Calfan View Post
    Is Bigby-Williams coming back? He was considering transferring and was granted his release but that was a month ago.
    I'm trying to find out more info on it, but I'd be surprised if he ended up leaving. He's the likely starter at the 5 spot.

Asu lost their top recruit. Not sure he knows that. I think they did get a good transfer

OSU has their best team in a decade

Unfortunately Stanford adds a good recruiting class to Reid. Enough said.

I wouldn't even count UW or Utah out

Only WSU is clearly sinking
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    I'm wondering if he had done enough research for this to be an informed opinion or whether he was sort of winging this based on knowing SOME stuff... I agree with others about OSU. Things seem pretty known there. They have talent! Seems too optimistic about the Bears, in my opinion.
    Well he did enough research to know Oregon has two major transfers who are big time, and are expecting a third, and Troy Brown a five star frosh will start. I thought Williams was transferring. The transfer Brown may be the best player in the conference. Two other 4 star frosh may contribute. Mater Dei center that redshirted has huge upside. I agree on Cal, but what do I know? The conference is not that good this year. As much as I like Tinkle, OSU looked awful every time I saw them play last year.