Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA U16 Trials 37 Finalists

USA U16 Trials 37 Finalists

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...duction-3.aspx

8 California girls still in the mix. They might post the final roster later tonight actually though

Angel Jackson still alive while some but Ramani Parker 6'3" from Fresno has been all the rage on Twitter. Seen a lot of comments expecting her to make the final 12 or that she's the top power forward there. Big coming out party for the previously unranked California c/o 2019 prospect. PN's #1 ranked post from Texas ended up getting cut at this stage so a great showing for Jackson to make it.

Haley Jones getting more and more praise, might end up top 3-5 in the class nationally.

Point guard Te-Hina Paopao teammate of incoming Styles from La Jolla Country Day School one of just three 14 year old's left, so she's even young for the c/o 2020 but some think ought to be on the team. Saw comments putting her ahead of Charisma Osborne from c/o 2019 already for favorite PG's there.

The team will be announced this morning ... if you have any questions about individuals, fire away.

Haley Jones seemed on track to make the team until Sunday, when she struggled. At the same, a lot of other players did well. Jones still has a shot, though.

Angel Jackson did well but had trouble scoring against taller opposition so is a long shot. Other posts did more, I thought.
    Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

https://www.usab.com/womens/u16/roster.aspx

Right now they're at 18 finalists.

Haley Jones and Ramani Parker only two from Cali in there but sounds like both have a good shot to make the final roster. Paopao the PG is a Cali player who had a lot of buzz throughout trials but did not make it passed this round.

Fran Belibi, the dunking sensation in Colorado, is still in the mix. Though all seem to say she is a bit behind the others in her development so not top 12 at this point.

Cameron Brink, age 15, from Beaverton, Oregon also made the team. She's a member of the class of 2020.

Clay, to what degree is Cal recruiting any of the finalists, especially the west coast kids?

Any potential superstars? I guess Brink, if you say she is close to Stewert. Would you consider her the Top 2020 kid there?

Surprised Sydney Parrish got cut, I believe she nearly made it last year for the u17 team.

I have no idea who Cal is recruiting ... I would assume everyone who's any good.

Brink, barring disaster, will be a star. Consider this: She was playing in Alameda last year and Tara VanDerveer limped into the gym three days after knee surgery to watch her.

The cream of the crop, in my view:

Samantha Brunelle (2019) -- 6-2 wing who can do everything and plays the game very well
    Aliyah Boston (2019) -- 6-3 post who reminds me of Elizabeth Williams (now with Atlanta)
    Azzi Fudd (2021) -- 5-11 point guard who will be a freshman in high school; does it all, and is very smooth
    Celeste Taylor (2019) -- 5-10 high-energy wing who defends like a demon and has a legit pullup jumper

Brink was definitely the top 2020 player, but Te-Hina Paopao, seven months out from ACL surgery, looked good. She goes to La Jolla Country Day.

Sydney Parrish is a shooter who didn't make shots, and isn't all that athletic. I hadn't seen her before, and if not for her reputation, would not have even noticed her.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayK View Post
    I have no idea who Cal is recruiting ... I would assume everyone who's any good.

Brink, barring disaster, will be a star. Consider this: She was playing in Alameda last year and Tara VanDerveer limped into the gym three days after knee surgery to watch her.

Samantha Brunelle (2019) -- 6-2 wing who can do everything and plays the game very well
    Aliyah Boston (2019) -- 6-3 post who reminds me of Elizabeth Williams (now with Atlanta)
    Azzi Fudd (2021) -- 5-11 point guard who will be a freshman in high school; does it all, and is very smooth
    Celeste Taylor (2019) -- 5-10 high-energy wing who defends like a demon and has a legit pullup jumper

Brink was definitely the top 2020 player, but Te-Hina Paopao, seven months out from ACL surgery, looked good. She goes to La Jolla Country Day.

Sydney Parrish is a shooter who didn't make shots, and isn't all that athletic. I hadn't seen her before, and if not for her reputation, would not have even noticed her.
    Were the Cal coaches at the USA-16 workouts? Thought I read some might have been in Colorado.

College coaches aren't allowed -- it's not during a viewing period.

The only college coaches there are on the selection committee (DeLisha Milton-Jones of Pepperdine and Kirsten Moore of Westmont (went to Redwood High School, then Kirsten McKnight).

thanks, always look forward to your input.

No Cali kids made the final 12 -- and I was stunned Cameron Brink didn't either. They kept two posts and went with a balanced roster in terms of position.

Haley Jones and Ramani Parker were the last two California girls.

@bearinsocal- potential superstar Sam Brunelle (c/o2019) hands down! Been following her since she was in 8th grade...doubt she would consider coming to Cal (I don't see her leaving the east coast) and I don't know if LG bothered to offer...She will have all the "big name programs" knocking at her door, first in line is probably Gino (Uconn) followed by Muffet (ND) Kim (Baylor), Brenda (MD) and Karen (Tex)

@Clay-how did Fran Belibi look up close? Outside of dunking the basketball does she have game? Is she athletic like DeCosta (they are around same height but year apart)? Amazing that she began playing basketball in 2015, she can dunk and made USA team without all the experience of play.
    And what about Fudd? When is the last time an 8th grader made U16 team?! What an accomplishment for that young lady!
    Last edited by 85 Fly; 05-31-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Belibi has a very high ceiling, and can do some spectacular things -- but also disappeared for long, long stretches. She's a 6-1 wing, so the dunking is just a sideshow, but her athleticism and how quickly she's picked up the game are extremely impressive. She's a Power 5 player, no doubt, and if Colorado hasn't offered yet, J.R. is asleep at the wheel.

Belibi and DeCosta, though, are different players. DeCosta is a great athlete and a leaper, but is more a power forward -- though it's conceivable she could step outside at some point in her career.

Fudd, named for Jennifer Azzi, will be a star, barring disaster. Just plays with talent, maturity and poise that few college points can match.

^^^^^ Nice article Clay in Sports Star Magazine we got the sense of what it feels like to be a participant at the trials.

https://sportstarsmag.com/trials-usa-tryouts/

Fudd, named for Jennifer Azzi, will be a star, barring disaster. Just plays with talent, maturity and poise that few college points can match.
    With a last name of Fudd that would give South Dakota State a distinct advantage when it comes to recruiting her. She would be subconsciously drawn to that team.