Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caldwell & Pierre to be interim assistant coaches

Quote Originally Posted by ricehntr5 View Post
    The quote from LG also said they would be out on the recruiting trail.. which in my mind is probably tough to send someone out to be your eyes for you.
    I'm sure they'll accompany Coach Smith and/or Coach Farrow and not go out alone. It also could mean hosting recruits on campus.

I can't believe how these 'temporary assignments" have caused so much controversy and unnerved so many fans. Relax folks. It's all good.

FYI. Coach Felton had her baby early this morning. GO Bears!!
    Last edited by SFCALBear72; 06-05-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    These are INTERIM basis hires only while Coach G and Coach Felton are on maternity leave this summer. Please get off your soapbox with all this negativity. You jump to conclusions before even knowing all the facts. Ridiculous.
    You are correct that this was primarily a soap box rant. If you notice my first sentence I stated that this does not necessarily apply to Caldwell and Pierre and this hire. It was a generic rant aimed mostly at the coach G hire while not considering the other available applicants for the position. She was mostly hired because of her connection to Cal and Boyle. The term Nepotism is not just applicable to literal relatives. It can also apply to philosophic inbreeding. It might do the coach some good to step outside her comfort zone and hire some assistants that have different perspectives and skill levels than she does.

Quote Originally Posted by willtalk View Post
    You are correct that this was primarily a soap box rant. If you notice my first sentence I stated that this does not necessarily apply to Caldwell and Pierre and this hire. It was a generic rant aimed mostly at the coach G hire while not considering the other available applicants for the position. She was mostly hired because of her connection to Cal and Boyle. The term Nepotism is not just applicable to literal relatives. It can also apply to philosophic inbreeding. It might do the coach some good to step outside her comfort zone and hire some assistants that have different perspectives and skill levels than she does.
    It seemed like hiring Jeff Cammon was a little outside her comfort zone. The team did well the first year he was here then we had the 10th place finish the second year. Then he went to Colorado and they appeared to improve. Now he was just promoted to head coach of Long Beach State. He must have done well when he was there (before he came to Cal).

Wendale Farrow appears to be another hire that could be in the same category. Maybe Pat know what the UCLA fans thought of him while he was there and what he brings to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    It seemed like hiring Jeff Cammon was a little outside her comfort zone. The team did well the first year he was here then we had the 10th place finish the second year. Then he went to Colorado and they appeared to improve. Now he was just promoted to head coach of Long Beach State. He must have done well when he was there (before he came to Cal).

Wendale Farrow appears to be another hire that could be in the same category. Maybe Pat know what the UCLA fans thought of him while he was there and what he brings to the team.
    Just my observation: I attended the Pac-12 Women's Tournament this past March with my brother who is a UCLA grad. We sat in the UCLA section during the UCLA/Oregon State game. I observed Coach Farrow greeting many of the UCLA fans in the section and even sitting with them for awhile. They were all very glad to see him and expressed how much they missed him. My two cents on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by GATC View Post
    It seemed like hiring Jeff Cammon was a little outside her comfort zone ... Wendale Farrow appears to be another hire that could be in the same category.
    Just guessing - perhaps we have one slot for a male coach. We certainly need a recruiter with SoCal connections.

Why should she "step outside of her comfort zone" when they've been hired as INTERIM coaches only during the summer while she and Kai are on maternity leave? There is hardly any coaching during the summer, if any at all! Good lord. They needed people with experience working the camps mostly; I would think that Talia and EP are more than capable enough to coach kids on skills, etc. Plus they probably come cheap, since they are young and relatively inexperienced. Let's celebrate the return of 2 of the key players from the Final 4 run--2 of the hardest working, smartest players we've ever had. Why not be happy to see them get a taste of what coaching is like in a safe environment with summer duties only, instead of ranting about how Coach G needs to hire some new people. Just for a couple of months and on a shoestring budget? I hardly think so.

Bleacherbear- Read what I wrote in my first sentence and my later explanation for my post. I stated that I really did not know if what I wrote would also apply to the Pierre and Caldwell hires. I was not aware of the details so I put in an exclusionary clause.

I just used the subject of hires to address what I thought was a common policy in WCBB hires that have outlived their usefulness. In other words giving preference to ex players and people with a connection to the program instead of hiring the best available applicants. I remember the conversation on this site prior to Gottleibs hire. I have seen the same sort of conversations take place on other sites and it seems to be a pattern that more emphasis is placed on hiring coaches with a history with their respective programs than hiring the best available applicants. Now Gottleib might have been the best available hire, but if her connection with the program via Boyle gave her the leg up that would have been a mistake. Many times assistant coaches philosophies are set by the coaches they are assistants under and hiring purely because of connections would create a sort of an inbreeding that keeps the system locked in perpetuating it's weaknesses. It can work the other way around as well where an assistant learns from a master coach. But how many Geno's are there? I feel that being an assistant under Boyle hindered Gottlieb but that she could mitigate that experience by stepping outside of her experience via bringing in new blood outside of her comfort zone. Many other posters have suggested that she needs to bring in assistants who would mitigate her coaching weaknesses. I do think she is a much better coach than Boyle was and still has an upside if she takes the right steps.

It is obvious that in the case of the temp summer program hires of Pierre and Caldwell that this probably would not be the case. There are many programs that hire former players to help with their various summer programs and in this case both players are familiar with the system so it would make sense in respect to a temp hire. Now if the temp hire were to develop into an entry level position leading to a permanent position then it might indeed apply.
    Last edited by willtalk; 06-08-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willtalk View Post
    ... it seems to be a pattern that more emphasis is placed on hiring coaches with a history with their respective programs than hiring the best available applicants.
    I read a lot on our men's basketball forum about the desirability of hiring a coach with connections to our program. The upside is a coach having prior connections with the program, the University, and/or the Bay Area might better understand our situation and not be so quick to jump at other opportunities. I'm pretty sure Coach Martin's departure was related to him lacking any of those connections. I see your point but for a school with Cal's extraordinary environment I wouldn't discount the virtues of connections.

I was impressed that when the Ogwumike sisters graduated, Tara went out looking for some new offensive concepts after 20 years of using the triangle. She spent a lot of time with Mike D'Antoni. After our past two years of surprising nobody with our offense, many of us have been hoping LG would do something similar, even if only using somebody as a consultant. It does not appear that Joanne Boyle is a great offensive coach to emulate for the remainder of one's coaching career.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    I was impressed that when the Ogwumike sisters graduated, Tara went out looking for some new offensive concepts after 20 years of using the triangle. She spent a lot of time with Mike D'Antoni. After our past two years of surprising nobody with our offense, many of us have been hoping LG would do something similar, even if only using somebody as a consultant. It does not appear that Joanne Boyle is a great offensive coach to emulate for the remainder of one's coaching career.
    And you know for a fact that Coach G is not doing anything? She's been a bit busy lately with the birth of her baby and now on maternity leave. I'm guessing that time off offers considerable opportunities to review and analyze last season's statistics, etc. With added depth (and desperately needed) at the guard/wing positions this coming season, that prospect may lend itself to tinkering with the offense. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    And you know for a fact that Coach G is not doing anything? She's been a bit busy lately with the birth of her baby and now on maternity leave. I'm guessing that time off offers considerable opportunities to review and analyze last season's statistics, etc. With added depth (and desperately needed) at the guard/wing positions this coming season, that prospect may lend itself to tinkering with the offense. Just saying.
    I've renewed my season tickets for the 11th year in a row, so I am hoping you are right. But I was expecting change last year after 2015-16 and didn't see any on offense. I think we need a different system in this upgraded PAC12 coaching era, and not just minor tinkering.

I also watched numerous women's, men's, WNBA and NBA games this past year, and did not see a single other team or coach relying on passes into a triple-teamed post, or who use three point shots only when the clock is running down. So it shouldn't be too hard to find a new system just looking around.
    Last edited by annarborbear; 06-08-2017 at 08:14 PM.

This season is going to be really fun watching all of the Pac 12 competition. Everybody is building a roster and I think this year is going to be one of the toughest. We do need to switch up our plan, time for adjustments, something new... I'm excited all-around for the Pac 12, no cake walk over here!