Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caldwell & Pierre to be interim assistant coaches

Caldwell & Pierre to be interim assistant coaches

during Lindsay and Kai's maternity leave: http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2440

Great to hear. Loads of experience to pass on besides being two of the best dancers!

Thanks, MoragaBear, for the excellent news.

love caldwell ... great to see her back at cal
    i had heard about this a little before the announcement
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

I don't know if this applies specifically to these players but one of the major problems in women's basketball is the practice of hiring former players as coaches. You find much more of that than in the mens game. Just because some one played the game does not mean they will be good coaches. It requires specific skills to be a good coach and those do not necessarily parallel the skills of a player. Also some posters have mentioned that one of the problems with the Cal team are the assistant coaches. If that is so what makes anyone think that Gottleib has a clue as to who will make a good coach. She is off the Boyle tree and Boyle has shown herself to be clueless as to how to recruit a balance roster. Hire assistant coaches who have had experience and not just some former players. Some of the best players in the history of basketball have tried and ended up being just horrible coaches. Perhaps the problem with the Cal program is too much buddy good ol girl nepotism.
    Last edited by willtalk; 06-04-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Great people. But looks like no shake-up in our offensive concepts once again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by willtalk View Post
    I don't know if this applies specifically to these players but one of the major problems in women's basketball is the practice of hiring former players as coaches. You find much more of that than in the mens game. Just because some one played the game does not mean they will be good coaches. It requires specific skills to be a good coach and those do not necessarily parallel the skills of a player. Also some posters have mentioned that one of the problems with the Cal team are the assistant coaches. If that is so what makes anyone think that Gottleib has a clue as to who will make a good coach. She is off the Boyle tree and Boyle has shown herself to be clueless as to how to recruit a balance roster. Hire assistant coaches who have had experience and not just some former players. Some of the best players in the history of basketball have tried and ended up being just horrible coaches. Perhaps the problem with the Cal program is too much buddy good ol girl nepotism.
    These are INTERIM basis hires only while Coach G and Coach Felton are on maternity leave this summer. Please get off your soapbox with all this negativity. You jump to conclusions before even knowing all the facts. Ridiculous.

Active Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    These are INTERIM basis hires only while Coach G and Coach Felton are on maternity leave this summer. Please get off your soapbox with all this negativity. You jump to conclusions before even knowing all the facts. Ridiculous.
    +1

Until these two interim coaches, who has the Gottlieb had on her staff who was a former player? This past season two season had zero off the top of my head? Or did I miss someone?
    Nepotism is if you are actually related, but we will let that pass here. Again, some of us are looking for facts...and sorry, I think to have any kind of quality on a INTERIM basis is pretty damn good, be it alums or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mbBear View Post
    Until these two interim coaches, who has the Gottlieb had on her staff who was a former player? This past season two season had zero off the top of my head? Or did I miss someone?
    Charmin was an excellent player, though not at Cal if that's what you mean. But I don't see much of a relationship between excellence in playing and excellence in coaching.
    Last edited by stu; 06-04-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Charmin was an excellent player, though not at Cal if that's what you mean. But I don't see much of a relationship between excellence in playing and excellence in coaching.
    I meant former Cal player. I was responding to ridiculous nepotism accusation

These "coaches" will be directing the summer camp activities for the most part...this has nothing to do with coaching the actual Cal team really...except maybe on a casual basis...no real coaching is even allowed during the summer.

actually I don't like coaches who have never played the game
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by CalWBBFan View Post
    These "coaches" will be directing the summer camp activities for the most part...this has nothing to do with coaching the actual Cal team really...except maybe on a casual basis...no real coaching is even allowed during the summer.
    The quote from LG also said they would be out on the recruiting trail.. which in my mind is probably tough to send someone out to be your eyes for you.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by ricehntr5 View Post
    The quote from LG also said they would be out on the recruiting trail.. which in my mind is probably tough to send someone out to be your eyes for you.
    I believe Pierre has gone in placed of coachG with one of the other assist coaches during one of these viewing BB camps to checkout recruits. I think coachG & and coach Pierre twitted this out. BTW on the Calbears's Staff Directory it does list Caldwell & Pierre as assistant coaches.

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL (510-642-9448 / FAX: 510-643-5021)
    Head Coach Lindsay Gottlieb lgottlieb@berkeley.edu
    Associate Head Coach Charmin Smith charminsmith@berkeley.edu
    Assistant Coach Kai Felton felton@berkeley.edu
    Assistant Coach Wendale Farrow wfarrow@berkeley.edu
    Assistant Coach Talia Caldwell TBA
    Assistant Coach Eliza Pierre pierreeliza@berkeley.edu
    Director, Women's Basketball Operations Jill Culbertson jculbertson@berkeley.edu
    Assistant Director, Women's Basketball Operations Ryan Gruebel rgruebel@berkeley.edu
    Women's Basketball Operations Intern TBA