Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Matt Bradley!

I think there's a good argument against OAD's for Cal (not that I wouldn't take Brown in a heartbeat if we can get him!). At a place like Kentucky, Oregon, or Arizona, where the roster turns over more or less every year, OAD's are the rule. However, we're never going to do that. For one thing, it doesn't jibe with our academics, and most of them aren't likely to think of Cal as their priority. Not only that, but I don't think many Cal fans want to emulate Kentucky. What we need are multiple players who land in the 50-100 rankings (I know, rankings don't mean all that much; I'm just using that as a shorthand)--solid players, potential stars (guys like Randle, Cobbs, Jorge, etc.) who will stay 4 years. With that kind of roster and careful class balancing, you can build a consistent winner.

I would argue that with the above strategy, taking an OAD is risky. These guys usually expect the offense to run through them--or at least to feature them, and chemistry can be a major problem (think Cal with Jaylen--he was not in any way a selfish player, but the ball nevertheless got stuck in his hands way too often--with a player like him, you naturally feature him to the detriment of flow).

Of course, it's way too early, but I'm definitely down with these commitments.

Generally, I don't think this is something we'll have to worry about too much. How many OAD guys are even interested in us in a given year. I mean really truly interested. And of those, how many are we actually going to land? At best, we might be looking at whether we should take the one every 3 years or so, and that's being optimistic. I think we'll be fine taking 3, maybe 4 OAD every decade.

Tony Gonzalez

Does anyone else think of Tony Gonzalez when they see this kid?

Quote Originally Posted by grrrah76 View Post
    Does anyone else think of Tony Gonzalez when they see this kid?
    Joe Shipp comes to mind, too.
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 06-01-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Joe ship comes to mind, too.
    Yes! Was wracking my brain trying to remember who else he reminded me of. Looks like he has a decent outside shot (although obviously he hits 100% of his outside and FT shots on highlight videos).

Great get. Love the momentum. Will be the first in line to eat crow on the choice of Jones if he turns out to be the real deal. The early returns were not great but the addition of Austin and now two top 100 wings is a great sign. Long ways to go (and quite possibly an ugly 2017-18 season to survive) yet if we can land McNeil, Brown, Kelly and another big, we're off to the races.

Go Bears!

Shame on you, ursa. Never turn down a one and done caliber player.almost never.

Tougher than Joe....Tony comes to mind right away...

Quote Originally Posted by OdontoBear66 View Post
    Tougher than Joe....Tony comes to mind right away...
    Joe could shoot it, though, from deep. I'd take that any day.

Yes. The domino theory.

These are the kind of guys that Cuonzo needed to be bringing in 2-3 of each year, so we would have a complete roster. Instead, it was one-and-dones and last-minute-back-up-plans.
    There was nothing wrong with recruiting Jaylen Brown here. He was the type of student/athlete I wished we had more of. He just had too much talent.

Brian Wethers is who he reminds me of.

+1 Tom!
    It's not like they're all lining up at our door. I don't mind getting a five star player every once in a while, that would be nice. And I really like what wyking is doing and how active him and his staff have been. MB is very positive about what is happening behind the scenes... and that makes me feel great

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    Brian Wethers is who he reminds me of.
    That would be cool. I loved Wethers, especially on defense.

Hopefully more like Wethers and a little less like Carl Boyd (not to insult Boyd who played hard for Cal and was a strong athlete).

Quote Originally Posted by OneTopOneChickenApple View Post
    There was nothing wrong with recruiting Jaylen Brown here. He was the type of student/athlete I wished we had more of. He just had too much talent.
    I have absolutely no problem with Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb coming here... great players and fine individuals, to boot. The problem was, we only got three years, total, out of them, and two of those years were freshman years. The roster has been Swiss cheese for a long time now. Cuonzo needed to back up the Brown and Rabb signings with 2-3 four-star types... ones that would qualify. Preliminary indications are that Wyking Jones gets this.

I am elated to see Wyking recruiting at this level since I think he will be a lot better at X's and O's (offense) and game coaching than the previous coach.