Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Evolving Roster 2017, 2018

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    If he gets a full release, he wouldn't sit as he's a hs senior right now.
    How likely is this release? If he is, is Cal THE place?

I'd think it will happen.

As for Cal, there's a natural connection there where I can see him wanting to play with his old coach, so I'd think the odds would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    I'd be surprised if Coleman didn't start at the beginning of the season. He's our only guard with both D1 experience and a D1 body.

Based on their prep reviews I expect Harris-Dyson and Sueing to be the other two starters.
    I expect Coleman may start but not at PG, which means one of either HD or Sueing comes off the bench. My best guess is that Chauce may start the season at PG with Winston possibly taking the starting gig later on, and HD and Sueing getting starts based on match-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    I expect Coleman may start but not at PG, which means one of either HD or Sueing comes off the bench. My best guess is that Chauce may start the season at PG with Winston possibly taking the starting gig later on, and HD and Sueing getting starts based on match-ups.
    IMHO we need more than one player on the court with good BBIQ, ball handling, and passing. I'm less concerned about who we label as PG. Also I think we need five on the court who can play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    IMHO we need more than one player on the court with good BBIQ, ball handling, and passing. I'm less concerned about who we label as PG. Also I think we need five on the court who can play defense.
    Given our lack of proven scorers, we also desperately need someone who can dish the rock far more than we need defense given we have rim protectors like Lee and Okoroh. Coleman is not, at present, a D1 point guard.

Biggest concern for me is not who starts or backs up at any of the guard positions (I feel good about who we've now got there!) - it's who backs up king and lee when they need a blow or more precisely get in foul trouble.
    The lack of size-depth terrifies me.

And this problem is only far worse in 2018. We need at least 3 posts, Brown would be just 1.
    Last edited by concordtom; 06-01-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Biggest concern for me is not who starts or backs up at any of the guard positions (I feel good about who we've now got there!) - it's who backs up king and lee when they need a blow or more precisely get in foul trouble.

And this problem is only far worse in 2018. We need at least 3 posts, Brown would be just 1.
    Can't disagree with you there. At this point we have to hope Anticevich, Davis and Welle can provide some serviceable minutes in the post. It's gonna be a tough year.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post

Sueing's 6'7" and long & athletic. He'll get his share of rebounds, too.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineyardview View Post
    I anticipate there is more than a reasonable chance that you will be able to add Darius McNeil to the Newcomers for 2017 list.

It would not surprise many Cal supporters to see Darius McNeil prominently figuring in the starting point guard mix this coming season
    If we do get him, we would have some serious class balance issues in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by parentswerebears View Post
    If we do get him, we would have some serious class balance issues in the future.
    Er, um, IMbalance.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
    The roster problems date back to the end of Montgomery's tenure, and Martin didn't do a thing to fix it. It'll still take a while to get some class balance to it but Jones is off to a great start on developing some quality depth if this all holds together.
    counting the number of departures this year (8).

5) Yeah, Monty had 5 guys in the class that just graduated (rooks, singer, moute, bird, mathews).
    6) Martin added to that class with the transfer of Domingo (Monty left March 31 2014, Domingo announcement was on May 5)
    7) Martin added to that class with the addition of Mullins as a 1-year grad transfer.
    8) The situation was made worse by the fact that Rabb was a 2 and done (but I'll take that any day of the week).
    9) The situation was made worse by Charlie Moore's transfer (but what are ya gonna do?)
    8) The situation was made better by Mathews leaving early (though I don't see that as better, just that we'd have otherwise had 9 leave this year, instead of 8)
    8) I'm gonna call the Rooks redshirt/injury year and then transfer early a Push. He's still part of Monty's original 5-man class, which grew to 8.

Boy Moore and Rooks on next year's roster would be a HUGE difference. With them it's probably an NCAA team, without we could be anywhere from last to 3rd in the PAC 12...most likely an NIT team at best. Future looks good though.
    ~The Bear will not quilt. The Bear will not dye.~

Quote Originally Posted by blungld View Post
    Boy Moore and Rooks on next year's roster would be a HUGE difference. With them it's probably an NCAA team, without we could be anywhere from last to 3rd in the PAC 12...most likely an NIT team at best. Future looks good though.
    With Wyking wanting to play an up-tempo style I don't think Rooks was going to make much of an impact.
    However, it seemed like the perfect style for Moore. That was a huge loss!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Very unfair to have these kinds of expectations on Winston. He shot 27% from three last year in HS. He averaged less than 4 assists a game. He's not super athletic. I would bet on Chauca beating him out handily at least to start the season.
    The only reason Chauca would beat me out is because I am 82 and have no eligibility left. I think you are dead wrong about Winston, We shall see. I have stopped sitting by the phone.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caltagjohnson View Post
    I have stopped sitting by the phone.
    Good, because everything is done by email, twitter or text these days.