Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Evolving Roster 2017, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Very unfair to have these kinds of expectations on Winston. He shot 27% from three last year in HS. He averaged less than 4 assists a game. He's not super athletic. I would bet on Chauca beating him out handily at least to start the season.
    I would expect Chauca to have a real shot at starting if Winston is the only other option. McNeill though is a far better athlete than either and I'd expect him to start if Cal can get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineyardview View Post
    I think you may be getting ahead of the curve making this prediction. Let's see him compete a bit before anointing him. He will have to show a lot more than he has to date. His high school competition has been even been equivalent to Division III let alone PAC 12. Div 1. Perhaps he becomes a serviceable pg in a couple of years. It is unrealistic to expect him to lead a competitive PAC 12 entry from the get go. Don't put a high expectation burden on him.
    It sounds like he was second string on the JV. Why are you comparing a HS team with college teams. They never play each other. Here are particukars on Winston and his HS team:

He played for Birmingham HS which won the LA City Open Div championship for the first time. Clutch points by Winston in the last minutes They were 27-4 for the year and lost in the state championship playoffs to Chino Hills (Ball Bros.), Winston was All City.as were 3 of his teammates. Winston had 19 points against Chino.

Birmingham had the Doutrive brothers, both 4 star 6-5 shooting guards.. The 2017 brother did not have grades to get into Cal. The 2018 brother does. Winston's father is their guardian. Cal will have a shot at the 2018 brother.

Birmingham played Dyson's team with Jones in attendance. Winston scored 42 points, 17-22 FGs and 5-7 threes. You are right his three point percentage Is not great. He was 76% from the free throw line. I think it is ridiculous to think he is going to sit around for 2 years before he gets a chance to play, Jones is high on him and that is the only opinion that counts.

With Gordon and Bradley committed, i'm not sure that they'll still be after Doutrive; the priority is now going to have to be frontcourt players.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Good, because everything is done by email, twitter or text these days.
    Don't you do all three of those things on your phone??

Quote Originally Posted by bearmanpg View Post
    Yes, but who uses their phone to actually call anyone anymore?

Bob,

If he is the best that Cal has at pg he'll have to start. If he claims the position it will be because he's the best of a middling pg group. At that juncture the coaching staff will attempt to prepare him to thrive without incurring embarrassment or fan vitriol in a Div 1 pg role.

Hopefully a more productive and battle test alternative shows up on campus this summer and gives Wyking additional flexibility and alternatives, Regardless of the accolades that you've cited, to my knowledge, Winston has not distinguished in the AAU circuits versus game after game with 4 and 5 star competition. He was available for California's late signing because he didn't have a better offer which is attributable to the various recruiters evaluation of his prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by caltagjohnson View Post
    It sounds like he was second string on the JV. Why are you comparing a HS team with college teams. They never play each other. Here are particukars on Winston and his HS team:

He played for Birmingham HS which won the LA City Open Div championship for the first time. Clutch points by Winston in the last minutes They were 27-4 for the year and lost in the state championship playoffs to Chino Hills (Ball Bros.), Winston was All City.as were 3 of his teammates. Winston had 19 points against Chino.

Birmingham had the Doutrive brothers, both 4 star 6-5 shooting guards.. The 2017 brother did not have grades to get into Cal. The 2018 brother does. Winston's father is their guardian. Cal will have a shot at the 2018 brother.

Birmingham played Dyson's team with Jones in attendance. Winston scored 42 points, 17-22 FGs and 5-7 threes. You are right his three point percentage Is not great. He was 76% from the free throw line. I think it is ridiculous to think he is going to sit around for 2 years before he gets a chance to play, Jones is high on him and that is the only opinion that counts.
    There's a big difference between getting a chance to play, especially on a team extremely thin at pg, and pencilling him in as the starter when he doesn't come in even with the credentials Chauca had. Hopefully his improving play of late indicates he's just recently made a jump from where he was, but there's no reason to expect him to be an immediate starter.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor View Post
    With Gordon and Bradley committed, i'm not sure that they'll still be after Doutrive; the priority is now going to have to be frontcourt players.
    And Mcneill.

While I agree that Winston is not a lock at pg, the reason for his lack of offers, at least according to the video of his signing, was his NOT playing on the shoe circuit in AAU...if you play the shoe circuit, it interferes with your academics during the April to June time slot...I feel he made the right choice for himself....

While I agree that Winston is not a lock at pg, the reason for his lack of offers, at least according to the video of his signing, was his NOT playing on the shoe circuit in AAU...if you play the shoe circuit, it interferes with your academics during the April to June time slot...I feel he made the right choice for himself....
    I think Winston is a solid get based on the program's current circumstances but I don't think not playing in one of the Big 3 shoe circuits was the primary reason for his lack of major offers. Was it "a factor"? Perhaps, but he played on a very good HS team with other D-I prospects, so it's not like he didn't get exposure.

Lonzo Ball never played on any of the 3 shoe circuits, as his AAU team, created by his dad, is independent. As are teams like Belmont Shore, run by Dinos Trigonis, who runs the Pangos Camp. There are also smaller events that take place outside of the Nike, adidas, and UA leagues. Basketball is a year-round sport these days for all intents and purposes. On days kids aren't playing AAU in the Spring, they're probably putting in hours training in the weight room or on the court.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 06-02-2017 at 04:50 PM.

tsuba....watch the video posted by MB....I don't think your comparison to Lonzo is even in the same universe as the exposure to Winston...AAU, particularly, "The Shoes Circuits", are THE route to exposure for high D1 talent whether you believe it or not....Yes, there are exceptions such as Ball but if you didn't notice, Ball played on the number 1 rated high school in the nation...they played all over the nation as a high school team, something that Birmingham High School didn't come close to...not a fair comparison at all.....please watch the video and tell me his family doesn't know anything that you don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    I would expect Chauca to have a real shot at starting if Winston is the only other option. McNeill though is a far better athlete than either and I'd expect him to start if Cal can get him.
    +1 - McNeill may not be polished as a PG or offensive QB but he has HUGE upside and instantly would make us fun to watch. Hope he comes and if he does, would expect him to get a lot of PT

Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    There's a big difference between getting a chance to play, especially on a team extremely thin at pg, and pencilling him in as the starter when he doesn't come in even with the credentials Chauca had. Hopefully his improving play of late indicates he's just recently made a jump from where he was, but there's no reason to expect him to be an immediate starter.
    Not sure why Bob and others are so down on Chauca. Brandon has solid court vision, can handle the ball and with enough minutes will be a dead eye three point shooter. Yes, defense will be a big problem and he's not the quickest PG nor one who will create the most off the bounce, but he can be a solid player IMO. There's a reason he put up big stats in HS and garnered the offers he did.

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Not sure why Bob and others are so down on Chauca. Brandon has solid court vision, can handle the ball and with enough minutes will be a dead eye three point shooter. Yes, defense will be a big problem and he's not the quickest PG nor one who will create the most off the bounce, but he can be a solid player IMO. There's a reason he put up big stats in HS and garnered the offers he did.
    Some past little guys at Cal:

Great success: Jerome Randle
    Good success: Gene Ransom
    (big gap here, as the above two had superior athleticism)
    Some success: Shantay Legans
    A little success: Michael Chavez
    Great defense, but that's it: AJ Diggs

Chauca's game looks most like Chavez, except his outside shot has, so far, been more erratic. Like you said, maybe some consistent minutes and he starts hitting more three pointers. Assessing his game thusly is not knock on him; he's a good Golden Bear and seems like a great guy (and is fifty times the ballplayer I ever was). I'm pulling for him to have a great year, but I think it's okay to keep it real.
    Last edited by Big C_Cal; 06-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.

My rotary dial phone does not allow me to do those things. I am hoping to upgrade to a push button phone so I can start making calls to commercial businesses without a live voice that answers the phone.