Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Finals thread

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    Zach Lowe talked about this on his podcast recently. It's pure B.S. to say Curry didn't have a good 2015 Finals. He had two bad games, 2 and 3. In the games the Warriors won, he was good-to-great.
    At least when I say not good when I mean Curry. I mean not good for him. That was still a below average performance for him in my opinion. Still better than what 90% of players can do.

Quote Originally Posted by gobears725 View Post
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/addition-k...185539047.html

Great article on the defensive issues facing the Cavs because of Durant. Illustrates Ducky's point

"The best Golden State lineups do not have any player where you can just put Kevin Love. They don't have two guys they don't have a center and a wing that doesn't do anything where you put Kevin Love and say, 'OK, be here,' and have LeBron rest.

"When you put starters to starters, my guess is Tristan Thompson will guard Draymond Green, Kevin Love will guard Pachulia ... and it's just process of elimination. LeBron is going to have to guard Kevin Durant or Klay Thompson. There is no sitting around anymore for LeBron on defense. And when the Warriors get smaller and put Draymond Green at center, which I think they will be more aggressive doing ... then it gets even harder. Because then Kevin Love has gotta guard Iguodala, Tristan Thompson has to guard Draymond. And can you hang in that alignment?"

"Defensively, the Cavs' best option may be to remove Love from the court and go small with quicker, better defenders on James and Thompson. That still may not be the most pleasant option Love is an important offensive weapon for the team, and it doesn't pay him more than $20 million a year to sit on the bench."

It does illustrate the challenge that is facing them. Love is going to have to play some defense and Lebron is going to be tired from having to guard KD. It's really a recipe that the deeper this series goes, the more dominant the Warriors should become as Lebron gets tired.
    I'm not convinced that a smaller, quicker Cleveland lineup can play defense needed to stop the Ws. The Cavs subs are offensive minded players. The regular season stats show that D for Cleveland is not the primary focus. And if they want to try to outscore the W's in this series...well good luck, because the Warriors do play some D.

Quote Originally Posted by NVGolfingBear View Post
    I'm not convinced that a smaller, quicker Cleveland lineup can play defense needed to stop the Ws. The Cavs subs are offensive minded players. The regular season stats show that D for Cleveland is not the primary focus. And if they want to try to outscore the W's in this series...well good luck, because the Warriors do play some D.
    One thing that they could do is start or play shumpert or Jefferson instead of JR Smith. They both have a little more length than JR and have Shumpert or Jefferson guard KD and let Lebron guard Klay. It gets tiring to chase Klay around, but at least as of now while he's cold, Lebron maybe wouldnt have to guard him as close and he could rest some and also help on D. Of course you run the risk of allowing Klay to get his rhythm back and if he starts hitting, its game, set, match. This series is over.
    Last edited by gobears725; 06-02-2017 at 06:04 PM.

One thing that they could do is start or play shumpert or Jefferson instead of JR Smith. They both have a little more length than JR and have Shumpert or Jefferson guard KD and let Lebron guard Klay. It gets tiring to chase Klay around, but at least as of now while he's cold, Lebron maybe wouldnt have to guard him as close and he could rest some and also help on D. Of course you run the risk of allowing Klay to get his rhythm back and if he starts hitting, its game, set, match. This series is over.
    Probably worth a shot but Jefferson couldn't stay with KD in the first game and Lebron may have to drop down and help...then the outlet pass to Klay who is wide open and will hit some if not his usual number, or pass it to Curry who is open when his man runs at Klay...or Klay drops it back into KD while the Cavs try to figure out where the ball is...the Cavs are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    People keep looking at last year's Finals as some kind of template, but that depended on:

1. Harrison Barnes being on the team instead of Kevin Durant.
    2. Curry being hobbled and not having his usual dribble-drive quickness. You could see the difference immediately: last year Tristan Thompson and even occasionally Kevin Love could gamely stay with Curry one-on-one, but in this game they had no chance.
    3. Injuries and suspensions to key W's role players: Draymond missing a game, Bogut suffering a season-ending injury in Game 5, Iguodala's back acting up for the last two games.

Even given all of that, the series went 7 games and the Warriors were within a couple open shots of winning outright. A healthy, complete Warriors team is another matter.

The Cavs probably need to slow the game down and do more isolations, like they did in 2015. Now they see they are out-manned, it's the best chance for an underdog to win.
    MHO - FWIW: The spiritual effect of suspending Draymond (based on a Micky Mouse call) when the series was at 3-1, no less, was the real straw that stirred that witches' brew.

The first half is probably stuck in my mind. I remember seeing him something like 5-13 for 10 pts in the first half.
    not un-typical of Steph [whose blow-ups into the stratosphere in 3rd quarters (in the good-for-the-Ws sense) are notorious]

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Klay can't guard the 1, 4, or 5. He's not a better defender than LeBron, KD, or even Tristan Thompson.
    Yeah unless that 4 is Kevin love. He did much more than a "credible" job on Love. If the cavs want to go to that "mismatch" the entire game, I'd be ecstatic.

On a somewhat related note, after watching these playoffs, it's become pretty obvious (and this won't be news to anyone who follows the NBA closely) that if the old fad was stretch 4's, the new fad will be bigs who can guard perimeter players.

If you're in college, and you can demonstrate an ability to guard perimeter guys, you're stock is going to go way way up. This is going to be the key ingredient to any championship team for the foreseeable future. So like I said before, the kevin love's of the world...their time is done. With all the switching going on today, it's just too easy to isolate a big who cannot guard the perimeter.

This is why I potentially see the bucks as a team that could make some noise in a couple years (once they get fully healthy). They have a ton of long athletic 3's and 4's who can guard multiple positions.
    Last edited by ducky23; 06-02-2017 at 08:53 PM.

play of the game was when durant grabs the rebound ... runs straight down the court ... four cav defenders run away from him ... and he goes all the way to the hoop for a slam

after a couple of those plays, the cavs stay at home in the paint ... durant passes to a wide open curry ... curry 3
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Jefferson already showed he can't stay with kd. Shumpert would be ideal, but the dubs gave him the Harrison Barnes treatment and he couldn't make a shot (i think he might have made one)

This again highlights the cav's kevin love problem. I know I keep harping on this, but it's just so freaking obvious that the cavs need to get rid of him.

Imagine if you replace Love with a 3 or 4 who can credibly guard kd. It changes everything. Lebron can then go guard draymond which allows him to save energy and roam defensively which is what lebron does best.

Love is just such an awful awful matchup against the dubs. He's just way too slow to play at that pace, he's one of the worst transition defenders I've ever seen and anything he does well is completely neutralized by the dubs defense.

The cavs, if they are at all smart, should be structuring their roster for one singular purpose, and that's to beat the warriors. Love is a lovely player against the torontos of the world. He looks completely lost against a team like the warriors.

No one, including James, who got left in the dust more than a couple of times, can guard KD. Shumpert? A joke. Kevin can get any shot he wants over Shumpert and will blow past him just as he repeatedly did against James. The other subs are worse than Shumpert (who is not going to start over Smith, in any event); Williams, Korver, Jefferson are all washed up and cannot defend any of the Warriors.

In any event, Cleveland's offense is based on either Irving or James beating their man off the dribble and going to the hoop, either to score themselves or to pass the ball to a three point shooter if multiple defenders come at them. It is stone age basketball compared to the Dubs, with their quick ball movement and players cutting and screening off the ball.

KD is too wise to bellow about it, but he is focused on winning and playing the best that he can (as a team player) right now. No doubt he relishes his match up against James, which he won by a mile in the first game. Offensively, scoring and passing extremely well, and defensively bothering James repeatedly when LeBron tried to get to the hoop.

KD looked like the best player in the NBA last night. The jump up that the Dubs have made by having him replace Barnes is truly stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky23 View Post
    Imagine if you replace Love with a 3 or 4 who can credibly guard kd.
    They already have a 3 who can guard Durant. The problem is that a lot of their other players aren't good at guarding anybody, which is why they try to have Lebron roaming to cover for other's mistakes.

Maybe Lebron will want to sign with the W's this offseason so he can win some more championships.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Maybe Lebron will want to sign with the W's this offseason so he can win some more championships.
    He can come off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    The killer stats:

Warriors took 45 shots; Cavs 30

Warriors 31 assists; Cavs 15

Warriors 12 steals; Cavs 0

Warriors 4 turnovers; Cavs 20;

Warriors 27 fast break points; Cavs 9;

Warriors 56 points in paint; Cavs 30
    Another stat I found interesting:

When Lebron was on the court for his 40 minutes of play, his team was -22 in scoring.

During the 8 minutes he was on the bench, the Cav were a neutral +/- 0.

Maybe they should bench Lebron.

Thats pretty funny. They already had the calls in Game 1. And the bouncing ball favored them. The NBA wants this to be competitive w/o resorting to DQing W's players but I don't see it happening. Klay and Green had awful game 1 offenses. Not likely that both will be off again. Plus the W's bench hardly chipped in.