Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OT - Good Books to Read

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    Most of us here, including me, tend to gravitate to the same genres. For me, I tend to get in such a rut that I must say I have only read a few novels over the past decade.

Anybody have any semi-easy-reading-but-still-great novels to recommend? Especially if they are NOT the typical novels that a Cal Football fan might select? (Or even if they are, because I probably haven't read it. Even if it's a classic that you've always loved, there's more of a chance that I've read it, but still, I possibly haven't.)
    I was a Vince Flynn reader. He has passed, and I have read all he has written. Recently re-read Jeffrey Archers "Kane and Abel", which I read years ago. Enjoyed it so I followed up with his Harry Clifden series of seven books. Fun, low key read.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    I'm a sucker for Civil War history and biographies and Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy and Battle Cry of Freedom-James McPherson are the two best comprehensive accounts.

Sadly always searching for great/creative/imaginative fiction from any era/genre.
    Your comic sensibility would appreciate Gary Shtengyart. I'd also recommend Hillary Mantel's books on Cromwell which are historic and eeringly modern.

"The Perils of Privilige" is pretty solid. Details the problems with the extreme PC/ "privilege" obsessed factions of modern culture.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDevil View Post
    I'm a sucker for Civil War history and biographies and Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy and Battle Cry of Freedom-James McPherson are the two best comprehensive accounts.

Sadly always searching for great/creative/imaginative fiction from any era/genre.
    I slogged through Foote's trilogy about five years ago (great, but loong), and recently decided that it was time to revisit it.

Quote Originally Posted by 71Bear View Post
    Wallender! One of my three favorite fictional dectectives (along with Endeavor Morse and Franco Soneri).

Although I have not read the The Dogs of Riga, I did see the Swedish television version on MHZ. The Swedish actor, Kristen Henriksson, is outstanding in the role.
    Have to agree with the detectives. I'm also a Harry Bosch (the CM books, as opposed to the TV series), and Elvis Cole/Joe Pike fan.

[QUOTE=okaydo;842846168][QUOTE=bearister;842846042]

It's amazing that T.J. Stiles, winner of 2 Pulitzers for biography, a midwesterner who can live in any city he wants, has chosen to live in the city that every on this board hates so passionately.
    Doesn't Michael Lewis (whose books I find terrific) live in Bezerekley? I probably would chose to live in wine country if I was to live in the Bay Area, but I'm not sure either I or everyone on this board hates Berkeley (probably a lot people don't like the city government). Pick another city in the US that has better eats per capita (notice you New Orleans and Chicago people I said per capita). Berkley has its issues, but also has many great and unique qualities.
    Last edited by wifeisafurd; 06-17-2017 at 09:35 PM.

[QUOTE=wifeisafurd;842847263][QUOTE=okaydo;842846168]
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post

Doesn't Michael Lewis (whose books I find terrific) live in Bezerekley? I probably would chose to live in wine country if I was to live in the Bay Area, but I'm not sure either I or everyone on this board hates Berkeley (probably a lot people don't like the city government). Pick another city in the US that has better eats per capita (notice you New Orleans and Chicago people I said per capita). Berkley has its issues, but also has many great and unique qualities.

Yes, and so does 2001 Pulitzer Prize winner for literature Michael Chabon and his wife, the author Ayelet Waldman.

Several of Chabon's books have become movies (Wonder Boys, Mysteries of Pittsburgh) and he also co-wrote SpiderMan 2.

Chabon is also the author of this book:

Chabon's wife received some attention earlier this year with this book:

[QUOTE=wifeisafurd;842847263][QUOTE=okaydo;842846168]
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post

Also, Chancellor Dirks' bought a home from a famous Berkeley author:

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Have to agree with the detectives. I'm also a Harry Bosch (the CM books, as opposed to the TV series), and Elvis Cole/Joe Pike fan.
    Agree, agree and agree! Connelly and Crais are great! Love Lehane and Burke also. If someone likes Bernard Conwell, then try Sharon Kay Penman.

Ace Atkins, a former SEC player with a short NFL career, is easy reading and depicts the South really well. He develops his characters so that they are engaging makes you feel the southern background. His Quinn Colson series of books is what got me started. He also has written several books recreating the Robert B. Parker series...............

Quote Originally Posted by kelly09 View Post
    Agree, agree and agree! Connelly and Crais are great! Love Lehane and Burke also. If someone likes Bernard Conwell, then try Sharon Kay Penman.
    Agree on Lehane. Have to give Burke a try as well Conwell and Penman. I really do like these threads.

Add (name aside) Ace Atkins, who has taken on the Spenser franchise in addition to his own growing portfolio.
    Access is better than ownership!