Thread: Zach Kline's first pro pass ....a touchdown!

A 90 yard TD! Hope he is as successful in the CFL as Joe Kapp was.

I tell you - that kid is going to save Tedford's career here

Loyal Bear
    Yeah, congrats to the young man. Nice throw into that busted coverage.

Wow. That's awesome.

What percentage of CFL players are Americans?

Going to the CFL after playing NCAA fb in my mind is a pretty good career/life path.

Canada is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Wow. That's awesome.

What percentage of CFL players are Americans?

Going to the CFL after playing NCAA fb in my mind is a pretty good career/life path.

Canada is awesome.
    Each team is allowed up to 20 "International" players. International typically equates to the USA of course... Just found this to make sure that has not changed:

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-ratio/

Note the 3 QB limit. Unless Zach does particularly well Thu night, he might get relegated to the practice squad. One week with the playbook is not in his favor.

Zach is close to the 2nd string QB, James Franklin (same QB coach here in the Bay Area). James by most accounts is a starting CFL QB and it's quite public that he wants to start, and should start somewhere. He is expected to be gone by next season. The starter, Mike Reilly, is generally thought of as the best or one of the best QBs in the CFL...

There are no more Edmonton preseason games on ESPN3. Radio seems to be an option, I think here, which had a nice post-game:

http://globalnews.ca/radio/630ched/player/#/

Might not have seen this from a few days ago:

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showth...otball-starved
    Last edited by Cal89; 06-13-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Is Joe Kapp still the only player to play in the Rose Bowl, the Grey Cup and the Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    Is Joe Kapp still the only player to play in the Rose Bowl, the Grey Cup and the Super Bowl?
    I have not heard otherwise, so I believe so... The key word being "play" as others have been on the rosters. The Rose Bowl qualifier certainly limits the field...

I'm going to listen to tonight's game on the "radio".
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

His first drive, 4/5 leading to a TD. The one incomplete was a "veteran" throw a way. Radio announcers quite impressed with him...

Because O'Brien holds for PATs and FGs, the announcer thinks the best Zach can hope for is to make the practice squad, which apparently he should, given his performance so far.

Oh, they fixed Zach's profile to now read "Cal".

Found this:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/12/landry...ek-pre-season/
    Last edited by Cal89; 06-15-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Good link find, '89, funny stuff.

Hey, looks like Kline was hero in his second game up there. https://www.cfl.ca/games/2367/edmont...bers/#/preview
    Last edited by BearlyClad; 06-15-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearlyClad View Post
    Hey, looks like Kline was hero in his second game up there! https://www.cfl.ca/games/2367/edmont...bers/#/preview
    The radio guys were like where did this guy come from?! The descriptives were awesome. The one used a few times - moxie. The coaches and players have seen his arm in practice, including that first pre-season game of course, but the goal this game was to see how well he could manage the offense. Major success. He led drives that put 21 points on the board, with a clutch TD pass with less than 20 seconds left.

He was interviewed again on the post-game show. One of the questions asked if he was surprised with his good performances these two games, having just arrived a little over a week ago. His answer was yes and no. He explained that although his college career was not an ideal one, he has always remained confident in his abilities, if given an opportunity.

The HC was interviewed after Zach, and he continues to be very pleasantly surprised and happy with Kline's performance. He stayed in the pocket, got nailed at least a couple times doing so, had a clutch scramble for like 17 yards, kept his eyes downfield, looked-off defenders, made big time passes...

Final cuts to be made Saturday, by 8 pm I believe. Regardless of what happens, Zach did well for himself.

I just looked up Kline's college stats. Didn't realize he had more pass attempts at Cal than at Fresno St. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBerkGrad View Post
    I just looked up Kline's college stats. Didn't realize he had more pass attempts at Cal than at Fresno St. Interesting.
    The Fresno State HC, now our DC, was quite committed to grooming a freshman QB. Zach only got a chance near the end, after Kiesau took-over as interim HC...

In case others didn't see this USA Today story from late last year:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tate/95691426/