Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more Chauca

No more Chauca

According to Twitter, Brandon Chauca is no longer on the squad. He can still get his degree should he want to. Chauca seemed like a great kid with a great attitude, although it seems like Wyking might have had a heart to heart talk with Brandon about where he stood on the roster. No inside info obviously, just reading between the tea leaves. A pretty bad Cuonzo miss on the recruiting front.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlebear02 View Post
    According to Twitter, Brandon Chauca is no longer on the squad. He can still get his degree should he want to. Chauca seemed like a great kid with a great attitude, although it seems like Wyking might have had a heart to heart talk with Brandon about where he stood on the roster. No inside info obviously, just reading between the tea leaves. A pretty bad Cuonzo miss on the recruiting front.
    Is he transferring to Gonzaga?

Quote Originally Posted by ccajon View Post
    Is he transferring to Gonzaga?
    Missouri

Perhaps this just means McNeill is coming but haven't read the insider boards.

There must be something more to this. They aren't taking away his scholarship (and they don't need one this year anyway). They could have kept him on the team for the year and just never played him. Then let him know that after the season, he won't be renewed for a 5th year.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    There must be something more to this. They aren't taking away his scholarship (and they don't need one this year anyway). They could have kept him on the team for the year and just never played him. Then let him know that after the season, he won't be renewed for a 5th year.
    My guess is Coach didn't want to squander practice resources on someone that's not likely to contribute.

I don't know what went down but my opinion is bad news is better delivered sooner than later. I hope Chauca stays and finishes his degree at Cal, then gets a scholarship somewhere else to play as a grad student. He could end up with a masters degree and no student loans.

Brandon wants to go to law school.

Why does there have to be more to this than he isn't expected to have an impact? If he wants to get on with his education, freeing up the massive hours that are spent training and practicing for a DI sport makes sense. If he wants to play basketball, giving him the opportunity to transfer a year earlier makes sense. You seem to be only looking at it from Cal's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    Why does there have to be more to this than he isn't expected to have an impact? If he wants to get on with his education, freeing up the massive hours that are spent training and practicing for a DI sport makes sense. If he wants to play basketball, giving him the opportunity to transfer a year earlier makes sense. You seem to be only looking at it from Cal's point of view.
    That could certainly be true, but the implication from a story on another site is that it was not his decision.

Given that the only other true PG currently on the roster is an incoming freshman, I would think Jones would keep him around if only for practice purposes unless he thinks that a) McNeil is a done deal or b) that someone else on the roster (Coleman maybe?) can play PG better.

I'd say it had better be both.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    Given that the only other true PG currently on the roster is an incoming freshman, I would think Jones would keep him around if only for practice purposes unless he thinks that a) McNeil is a done deal or b) that someone else on the roster (Coleman maybe?) can play PG better.

I cant remember a player on scholarship that was ever forced off the team, if this is the case. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    I cant remember a player on scholarship that was ever forced off the team, if this is the case. Strange.
    I'm not a big fan of run-offs. I can't remember the last time its happened at Cal, either. It's what made this program different from the "others". Maybe Frid and Kaleb Rodriguez? Good to Chauca with his future endeavors.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by orindabear74 View Post
    Brandon wants to go to law school.
    This makes sense.