Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No more Chauca

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of run-offs. I can't remember the last time its happened at Cal, either. It's what made this program different from the "others". Maybe Frid and Kaleb Rodriguez? Good to Chauca with his future endeavors.
    Do we know what happened, other than that Chauca is not going to be on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    I cant remember a player on scholarship that was ever forced off the team, if this is the case. Strange.

At most colleges they call it "counceling out"....it happens all the time when a coach knows a kid isn't going to play meaningful minutes so they are honest with the player and give him a chance to transfer somewhere he can get minutes....

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    I cant remember a player on scholarship that was ever forced off the team, if this is the case. Strange.
    Especially someone who is the only returning experienced player at a crucial position with no obvious incoming starter.

OaktownBear - I absolutely agree - best for both sides to do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    Do we know what happened, other than that Chauca is not going to be on the team?
    Per NCAA guidelines - when a new head coach takes over for a departing coach, He is allowed to replace one scholarship player (without taking way the scholarship of the replaced player)
    Another words Chauca will be given the option to remain on scholarship at Cal, but not be part of the program(or simply transfer). This allows the coach to potentially upgrade the position by offering an one time
    additional scholarship.
    Chauca will be able to graduate from Cal which is the most important goal to achieve, retain one year of eligibility should he desire to play at another D-1 school, or graduate and
    then play professionally in the Philippines - which is a goal of his. Brandon is a fighter and will do fine with his chosen path, best of luck and hard work to him. Respectfully the team will benefit, in that the minutes and
    practice reps he would have had, now can go to developing freshmen and a soon to be additional player.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenCal View Post
    Per NCAA guidelines - when a new head coach takes over for a departing coach, He is allowed to replace one scholarship player (without taking way the scholarship of the replaced player)
    Another words Chauca will be given the option to remain on scholarship at Cal, but not be part of the program(or simply transfer). This allows the coach to potentially upgrade the position by offering an one time
    additional scholarship.
    Chauca will be able to graduate from Cal which is the most important goal to achieve, retain one year of eligibility should he desire to play at another D-1 school, or graduate and
    then play professionally in the Philippines - which is a goal of his. Brandon is a fighter and will do fine with his chosen path, best of luck and hard work to him. Respectfully the team will benefit, in that the minutes and
    practice reps he would have had, now can go to developing freshmen and a soon to be additional player.
    That's good info...I didn't know that and had never seen anyone use that rule....

additional scholarship.

Hmm, if true, that would indicate that another PG is coming. McNeil?

Interesting. Jones seems to be making some savvy moves.

Quote Originally Posted by orindabear74 View Post
    Brandon wants to go to law school.
    So he can sue our a**! Kidding. Seriously as an underdog I really wanted to see him play more. Best to him.

additional scholarship.
    Must that additional scholarship be used in 2017 or can it be later? Will that allow a total of 14 for just 1 year or for the duration of the new scholarship? AFAIK we'll have open scholarships for 2017 but we sure could use another for 2018 or 2019.

additional scholarship.
    Cal had 2 open scholarships even with Chauca on the roster. Whatever way you spin it, it's a run-off. Let's be real.

Cal had 2 open scholarships even with Chauca on the roster. Whatever way you spin it, it's a run-off. Let's be real.
    Sure looks that way. I am conflicted in my thoughts. Cal does not really do these sort of things, yet it is common practice. It is clear that Wyking has a plan for replacing him and wants those practice minutes devoted to that individual. Likely it is McNeil and he will be the starter the day he steps on campus since Austin has to sit this season. From a basketball perspective it makes sense. I do think he could have been allowed to practice but with 2 years of eligibility remaining Jones likely believed he needed to do this now when he has the option to keep Brandon on scholarship and add another player without penalty.

Big time sports is a business. This was a business decision. Good luck to Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    Sure looks that way. I am conflicted in my thoughts. Cal does not really do these sort of things, yet it is common practice. It is clear that Wyking has a plan for replacing him and wants those practice minutes devoted to that individual. Likely it is McNeil and he will be the starter the day he steps on campus since Austin has to sit this season. From a basketball perspective it makes sense. I do think he could have been allowed to practice but with 2 years of eligibility remaining Jones likely believed he needed to do this now when he has the option to keep Brandon on scholarship and add another player without penalty.

Big time sports is a business. This was a business decision. Good luck to Brandon.
    This. I was looking forward to seeing Brandon on the courts, but when you are competing at the highest level, if you don't have it, the coach and the player should make the best of the situation. Brandon has been a big part of the team and I am sure will find success in life and will always be a golden bear.

Sure seems like it, though most run-offs don't give the kid of staying on scholarship. At least he has more options than the usual run-off but it's still discomforting.

Quote Originally Posted by SFBear2012 View Post
    Interesting. Jones seems to be making some savvy moves.
    He's already having a better first year then Martin, who lost out on all of Monty's recruits and only brought in a single (eventual) rotation player his first year.