Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ivan Rabb and other NBA Draft News

Ivan Rabb and other NBA Draft News

Ivan Rabb's predicted draft position is dropping. DraftExpress has him at 29, nbadraft.net at 34, SI at 29, The Ringer at 35. So the consensus now is late first, early second. At the end of the college season he was projected in the middle of the first round. The Ringer (http://nbadraft.theringer.com/) shows his shot chart. Like 38% from midrange. Not pretty. It also compare him to Andrew Nicholson and Ed David. The former is skilled but un-athletic, while the later is athletic but unskilled. Which shows that they don't know what to make of him.

My position is that he was born in the wrong time and has no position in the NBA. Ten or twenty years ago he might have been a starting 4. Now he is a small 5 who needs to work on his body and his skill. Surprising he was only 220 at the combine. I am sure he has gotten stronger, but he did not gain weight at Cal. Maybe it was the mono. Next year he will be in the G-League or overseas. (Gatorade has branded the D-League.)

Bird is not listed in any of the mock drafts. He is the right height, the right athleticism, and when hot, has the right shooting ability. Worse players have been drafted. I assume he will be in the G-League or overseas as well.

Next year NBA teams will have two "two-way" contracts with the G-League. This means that teams can basically carry 17 players (15 regular, 2 G-League). Maybe Bird can get one of these development spots. See http://dleaguedigest.com/2017/02/24/...s-next-season/. With Adam Silver talking about eliminating the one-and-done rule, and with the expansion of the G-League, the NBA may be going after college basketball's business.

Sluggo

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    Ivan Rabb's predicted draft position is dropping. DraftExpress has him at 29, nbadraft.net at 34, SI at 29, The Ringer at 35. So the consensus now is late first, early second. At the end of the college season he was projected in the middle of the first round. The Ringer (http://nbadraft.theringer.com/) shows his shot chart. Like 38% from midrange. Not pretty. It also compare him to Andrew Nicholson and Ed David. The former is skilled but un-athletic, while the later is athletic but unskilled. Which shows that they don't know what to make of him.

My position is that he was born in the wrong time and has no position in the NBA. Ten or twenty years ago he might have been a starting 4. Now he is a small 5 who needs to work on his body and his skill. Surprising he was only 220 at the combine. I am sure he has gotten stronger, but he did not gain weight at Cal. Maybe it was the mono. Next year he will be in the G-League or overseas. (Gatorade has branded the D-League.)

Bird is not listed in any of the mock drafts. He is the right height, the right athleticism, and when hot, has the right shooting ability. Worse players have been drafted. I assume he will be in the G-League or overseas as well.

Next year NBA teams will have two "two-way" contracts with the G-League. This means that teams can basically carry 17 players (15 regular, 2 G-League). Maybe Bird can get one of these development spots. See http://dleaguedigest.com/2017/02/24/...s-next-season/. With Adam Silver talking about eliminating the one-and-done rule, and with the expansion of the G-League, the NBA may be going after college basketball's business.

Sluggo
    I think eliminating one and done rule would be great for college basketball.

Late first round might be a good thing for him. Landing on a good team with a good staff and no pressure to be a hero would give him a cushion to learn the NBA game and work on his weaknesses while still getting a guaranteed contract. I also think he can play the 4 if he gets range to his game. His rebounding will translate.

If he falls to the second round I hope the Warriors buy a pick and draft him. They know how to develop talent.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post

Sluggo

Not good enough for the Warriors.

He's better than McAdoo was as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    Not good enough for the Warriors.

He faced too many double-teams. That's why he shot 38%.

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    I don't like the one and done either but I don't like the way it was before the one and done even more....I would like to see something along these lines....all high school seniors are draft eligible unless they declare themselves ineligible (if a player definitely knows he wants to go to college)...that way, anyone not drafted can keep their amateur status and go on to college....it would cause a bit of a challenge to college coaches because an incoming freshman may be drafted after he signs a LOI and decide to go pro but most people know which HS seniors will be drafted so that would be up to them to determine....I just hated when a kid was advised that he was a pro prospect so he declared for the draft and then was not drafted...his whole life was effected by an 18 yr old kid making a decision based on some scumbag's recommendation....that system was incredibly unfair in my opinion...

ivan rabb

Quote Originally Posted by bearmanpg View Post
    I don't like the one and done either but I don't like the way it was before the one and done even more....I would like to see something along these lines....all high school seniors are draft eligible unless they declare themselves ineligible (if a player definitely knows he wants to go to college)...that way, anyone not drafted can keep their amateur status and go on to college....it would cause a bit of a challenge to college coaches because an incoming freshman may be drafted after he signs a LOI and decide to go pro but most people know which HS seniors will be drafted so that would be up to them to determine....I just hated when a kid was advised that he was a pro prospect so he declared for the draft and then was not drafted...his whole life was effected by an 18 yr old kid making a decision based on some scumbag's recommendation....that system was incredibly unfair in my opinion...
    he can play in the nba. very good rebounder

I wasn't talking about Ivan...I have been one of his biggest backers here since he signed his LOI....ask SFCity if I've backed Ivan forever....On second thought, don't ask SFCity...

Real Bear
    Martin did Ivan no favors by sitting him on the bench with a non-existent foot injury.

It sucks. Because I think thah Ivan has far more upside than a bunch of the bigs listed in front of him in the mock drafts. But as people said, an extra year gave folks an extra year to nit pick his game. Perhaps blue and gold eyes but I like Ivan's game a LOT better than Leaf's or Markkanen in the NBA but they both will go a lot higher than Ivan and that sucks.

after year 1 at Cal, Ivan was projected to be in the 12-15 range. after year 2 at Cal he slipped to the 14-18 range.

however his measurables at the NBA Combine did not impress, so he slipped further to the low to mid 20s.

after his workouts with NBA teams he slipped to late first round, early 2nd round.

I think his stock from playing at Cal stayed pretty strong, but the NBA Combine and Team workouts were what hurt him

another problem is all these GMs just got done watching the Warriors.

Nn that style, traditional bigs aren't as valued, and Rabb's elite skill (rebounding) has also lost value when teams are running and shooting threes. I read an article explaining this rethinking of the rebound (one thing they said is many teams don't even attempt to offensive board...instead all 5 players get back on defense)
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Quote Originally Posted by HoopDreams View Post
    after year 1 at Cal, Ivan was projected to be in the 12-15 range. after year 2 at Cal he slipped to the 14-18 range.

however his measurables at the NBA Combine did not impress, so he slipped further to the low to mid 20s.

after his workouts with NBA teams he slipped to late first round, early 2nd round.

I think his stock from playing at Cal stayed pretty strong, but the NBA Combine and Team workouts were what hurt him

another problem is all these GMs just got done watching the Warriors.

Nn that style, traditional bigs aren't as valued, and Rabb's elite skill (rebounding) has also lost value when teams are running and shooting threes. I read an article explaining this rethinking of the rebound (one thing they said is many teams don't even attempt to offensive board...instead all 5 players get back on defense)
    Here is the thing - Ivan can shoot threes. Possibly as well as Kevin Love could coming out of UCLA. He just wasn't asked/encouraged/allowed? to do that in the Martin offense. Maybe didn't show it in the NCAA combine. But I think you could have him on the court and get a lot of teams benefiting by him pulling the rim defender out/Ivan getting a iso mismatch on the wing.

Oh well. I hope it goes well for him.

Ivan has to master dribbling, moving with the ball and without.

Since he has, apparently, played with his back to the basket most of his life, he has not developed much in facing the basket and taking his man off the dribble. Also, he has not had to (been allowed to?) shoot from distance.

He needs substantial work on his defensive capabilities as well.

With a diligent approach to mastering these weaknesses, he can likely be a good NBA player.

Hard to know where that ranks him with NBA scouts right now.

From all appearances he is a great young man and I am rooting for him to grow as a player and have a good NBA career.