Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ivan Rabb and other NBA Draft News

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    I get it now.

As for Ivan's ability to improve his game, we shall see. I hope he can and will.
    I hope as well. But the rap on him is that he has not improved, so I don't see how "ability to improve" will help his draft status.

The similarity to Green is that they were both thought of as tweeners coming in. But basketball changed, so Draymond is no longer a tweener. Right now Ivan does not work as a 4 or a 5. But with current trends he can be a 5, perhaps, once he gains 20 pounds.

Sluggo

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    ivan is not listed anywhere on this page of top 25 picks, and there are more than 10 people's lists.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2017/...jonathan-isaac
    Listed at #24 on NBADraft.net.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

Quote Originally Posted by gobears View Post
    My views on Lonzo Ball earlier that he should focus on preparing to enter NBA.... not to get sidetracked on
    Ball shoe..... or sucked into activities that take his focus off "job 1".

The fact he underwhelmed Magic/Lakers management in his 1st workout... due to signs he was not properly conditioned is not exactly getting out of gate on right foot.

Add to Ball's last game with UCLA was not exactly the impression one wants to give any GM.

No entitlement points, work hard and prepare /improve one's game.... Ball has no end of season injury to slow down his preparation for team workouts and/or NBA summer league games..

I like Lonzo's game, but he better recognize no substitute for hard work..

I like Ivan's no regrets approach... and stands by his decision to return for 2nd year.. Irrespective to where he ends up in draft, he wants to work hard and improve his game for team that selects him.

Ball is someone I will be rooting against no matter where he is.
    His father did a ton of damage.
    And Lonzo has a weird shot. I think he flames out when the pressure is greatest. He can't stand up to his dad, is not "alpha".

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post

Aran Smith is a Berkeley youth native. He always over-rates Cal guys.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    Ball is someone I will be rooting against no matter where he is.
    His father did a ton of damage.
    And Lonzo has a weird shot. I think he flames out when the pressure is greatest. He can't stand up to his dad, is not "alpha".
    Rooting against the kid, who seems quiet and a good teammate, because his dad is a loudmouth? Harsh.

Best is if the Ws could work some kind of deal (with some kind of luck) to get him. Because of Cuonzo's betrayal, it is easier to say that Cuonzo wasted Ivan's talents. Get Ivan the ball down low (especially in the Dubs wide open system, with everybody flying around the court like scraps of paper in a windstorm, and he'll kill, with all his moves, which almost never got to happen here. Keep him down low, and he'll inhale the rebounds. He can certainly gain 20 pounds, and more - easy. And his defensive instincts are terrific. And playing for his home town team . . . . Just because he's so intelligent and mature: All that could really happen with the Ws fast. On a more pedestrian team, all that could be wasted. It happens in sports. I'm reminded of Jim Plunkett, whom nobody had any use for in the Pros until he landed with a team that saw his potential; and they promptly won Super Bowls

Rooting against the kid, who seems quiet and a good teammate, because his dad is a loudmouth? Harsh.
    This. His father is is the worst kind of user, but Lonzo seems like a good kid. I hope he does well and tells Dad to take a hike once he's established himself.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    I hope as well. But the rap on him is that he has not improved, so I don't see how "ability to improve" will help his draft status.
    As with Jaylen Brown, I think teams will look at who was coaching him in college and project accordingly. Only a single player significantly improved under Martin and that was Okoroh, and his improvement coincided with Jones arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobodeluxe View Post
    Brown was coached by Martin. Boston knew that.
    Yep and many teams will think similarly when evaluating Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    lol
    You really believed Kevin Love was a shooter during his Frosh year at UCLA? I love his current game and he has worked REALLY hard on it (plus not nearly as ugly as he was as a Bruin - beard is a good look for him) but he wasn't a shooter in college anymore than Ivan is.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    You really believed Kevin Love was a shooter during his Frosh year at UCLA? I love his current game and he has worked REALLY hard on it (plus not nearly as ugly as he was as a Bruin - beard is a good look for him) but he wasn't a shooter in college anymore than Ivan is.
    If he was not a shooter, albeit from close to the basket, then how did he absolutely destroy our Hardin in his one year at UCLA?

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    You obviously didn't see him play. Love didn't take a lot of threes, but when he did it was in the flow of the offense and he looked good doing it. Ivan essentially shot freethrows from behind the arc. Set shots with lots of time and space. Yes, after his success on a few of those Ivan took slightly more contested shots towards the end of the year, and he missed most of them. If you've seen them both play, comparing the two from behind the arc is lol'able.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    You obviously didn't see him play. Love didn't take a lot of threes, but when he did it was in the flow of the offense and he looked good doing it. Ivan essentially shot freethrows from behind the arc. Set shots with lots of time and space. Yes, after his success on a few of those Ivan took slightly more contested shots towards the end of the year, and he missed most of them. If you've seen them both play, comparing the two from behind the arc is lol'able.
    But I would argue that Ivan's ability to make those shots when open bodes well for his ability to learn how to make them under contested conditions. We have to assume he did not spend THAT much time practicing threes last year considering his role in the offense. Lots of upside there, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearprof View Post
    But I would argue that Ivan's ability to make those shots when open bodes well for his ability to learn how to make them under contested conditions. We have to assume he did not spend THAT much time practicing threes last year considering his role in the offense. Lots of upside there, in my opinion.
    Yeah, Rabb's shot LOOKS pretty good. Okay, he's unlikely to become a Kevin Love, but he could be a decent 3-pt threat (30-35%) and a 70% guy from the line. Enough to keep him on the court, combined with his other assets.

Wow, I was just thinking, with the roster we have now, had Rabb come back, he would've had the green light to take 20 shots a game... from anywhere he chose. He could've even played a little "combo forward", all the while putting on those next ten pounds. I'm not sure his stock could've dipped any further than where it is right now, plus he'd end up being halfway close to his degree.

i remember one three that Love took and made
    a double-clutch 3 at the buzzer to beat us
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez