Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 95

Thread: mcneill

  1. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    I wouldn't say solid as it is a very poor offensive group. Even if Dyson and Sueing contribute immediately this is a lower tier conference team.
    Good athleticism, bad passing, no shooting. Tough season. But the recruiting plan does seem to be working.

    Sluggo

  2. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    Looks really good. Would be an excellent pickup, if he comes.
    McNeill
    Coleman
    Lee
    King

    That's a solid group for next year. If Lee can be a stud or above average player the team might be sneaky good with really solid coaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I disagree. There is nothing solid about a group that...
    Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    I would agree that that's not a group to be excited about...
    I agree, but only because there's only 4 players in that group, and unless one of them is named Curry, Durant, or Lebron, we'd be getting blown out.

    Come on, cheer up, guys!

  3. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Very quick and has great speed; he's one of the fastest players in the class. So he would thrive in an uptempo system.
    Why only 3 stars?

  4. #49
    He didn't play the higher profile AAU circuits as a lot of players.

    ESPN has him at 4.

    Regardless, he's not a 3 star caliber playrr and he had solid offers.

  5. #50
    Real Bear BeachedBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Havering at Manny's
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    Good athleticism, bad passing, no shooting. .....
    Sounds like me.... except I'm not very athletic

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    He didn't play the higher profile AAU circuits as a lot of players.

    ESPN has him at 4.

    Regardless, he's not a 3 star caliber playrr and he had solid offers.
    He does have a solid offer list. You'd think that would help with his rating.

    Just wondering why it is a forgone conclusion that he will beat out Winston at PG who is rated similarly. I haven't seen him play, so I really have no idea.

  7. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    He does have a solid offer list. You'd think that would help with his rating.

    Just wondering why it is a forgone conclusion that he will beat out Winston at PG who is rated similarly. I haven't seen him play, so I really have no idea.
    What is said (or shown in video) about Winston's passing and floor generalship? I have no idea.

  8. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    Good athleticism, bad passing, no shooting. Tough season. But the recruiting plan does seem to be working.

    Sluggo
    The issue, for me, and I imagine for all, should be the trajectory and the spirit with which the players deal with the learning curve.

    With joyfulness, strength, camaraderie and growing vision(s - about a lot of things), the season could be great, regardless of the record -- although I would expect that, if the coaches could provide that to the guys (as all say Kerr does for the Ws - which of course is not un-related to the mental and physical aspects of the game), one might expect a number of surprise wins.

    Whatever things one might say about the incoming freshpersons, I don't think one of them would be "un-skilled".

    They and the existing guys need to become a team (which, among other things, raises its game to account for the times where the skill-set on the floor is un-balanced); and the question is how fast that can happen, so that whatever losses can be taken in stride and become building blocks.

    That process, if going in the right direction, and therefore adding immeasurably to the education of the student athletes, can be a lot of fun to be a part of, both as a player and as a fan.

    There are some interesting characters (in the sense of "strengths of"), AND knowledge sets, on the coaching staff - Theo, Walker, O'Toole, Wyking -- and therefore reason to believe they can put something of the above together - despite the constraints that created the present circumstances.

    Go Bears.
    Last edited by mikecohen; 06-16-2017 at 04:41 PM.

  9. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    He does have a solid offer list. You'd think that would help with his rating.

    Just wondering why it is a forgone conclusion that he will beat out Winston at PG who is rated similarly. I haven't seen him play, so I really have no idea.
    Mostly because of Mcneill's athleticism and scoring ability but he does need to improve his decision making and distributing in the half court.

  10. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I disagree. There is nothing solid about a group that includes Coleman. Doesn't distribute, can't shoot, bad handles, cannot stay with his man on D, etc. He does hustle and any team would be proud to have him walk on. But the fact that he's even on your list is a bad sign for the upcoming year.

    HOPE I am wrong! Please God help Don Coleman become a P12 level basketball player!
    It was his first year in D 1. He showed flashes of being able to contribute on offense. If there is a growth, especially with a Juco, then he can become at least an average PAC 12 player. Initially, this looked like a throwaway year getting to next season. There is some hope, at least for me, that it COULD be better.

  11. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecohen View Post
    The issue, for me, and I imagine for all, should be the trajectory and the spirit with which the players deal with the learning curve.

    With joyfulness, strength, camaraderie and growing vision(s - about a lot of things), the season could be great, regardless of the record -- although I would expect that, if the coaches could provide that to the guys (as all say Kerr does for the Ws - which of course is not un-related to the mental and physical aspects of the game), one might expect a number of surprise wins.

    Whatever things one might say about the incoming freshpersons, I don't think one of them would be "un-skilled".

    They and the existing guys need to become a team (which, among other things, raises its game to account for the times where the skill-set on the floor is un-balanced); and the question is how fast that can happen, so that whatever losses can be taken in stride and become building blocks.

    That process, if going in the right direction, and therefore adding immeasurably to the education of the student athletes, can be a lot of fun to be a part of, both as a player and as a fan.

    There are some interesting characters (in the sense of "strengths of"), AND knowledge sets, on the coaching staff - Theo, Walker, O'Toole, Wyking -- and therefore reason to believe they can put something of the above together - despite the constraints that created the present circumstances.

    Go Bears.
    Like the positive perspective Mike. I think it is very likely that 2017-2018 season is not a great one on the scoreboard, however a lot of groundwork can be laid for upcoming seasons. They will be very young except for Lee and Kingsley. The young players will have to play, this will get them lots of minutes in preparation for the following season when they should be better prepared to win games. Recruiting is going well so far but will need some front court additions. Brown of course is the main target, but the Bears have other good front court players on the radar and it seems they will add at least 2 more good players to what is already a nice class for 2018-2019 (Austin, Bradley and Gordon). McNeill is a key if he comes for 2017-2018 because he would likely start at PG. Perhaps not an ideal PG but a good player that will benefit from all the early PT. Sueing and Harris-Dyson are pretty highly rated and will also benefit from the early PT. I expect bumps, maybe some really hard ones next year but should payoff in year 2.

    The hoops team is in much the same position as the football team. Not much expected for upcoming season but optimism for the future. The biggest difference is the recruiting trend. Hoops appears to have a big jump over football due to Jones being a holdover and Walker being very well connected in Texas and already paying dividends. Football has a brand new staff and is having to form relationships. Of course hoops needs less good players to change the look of the team. A couple of top recruits can really boost your record. Football needs lots of players and 1 or 2 top frosh will not turn your team around.

    We do not know how Jones will actually coach a team, but he has worked for some top programs. His days with Pitino seem to have made the greatest impact and it appears he is trying to mold his team in that playing style. The staff appears to be quite good on the surface so like football if they can get the players I see real reasons for optimism. I really like what Jones has done so far in recruiting. Might not be fair but I expect him to add more quality for 2018-2019 team.

  12. #57
    You need to add at least four guys to that list before it means anything though. And they are probably mostly freshmen.

    Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    Looks really good. Would be an excellent pickup, if he comes.
    McNeill
    Coleman
    Lee
    King

    That's a solid group for next year. If Lee can be a stud or above average player the team might be sneaky good with really solid coaching.

  13. #58
    True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
    Posts
    29,183
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Very quick and has great speed; he's one of the fastest players in the class. So he would thrive in an uptempo system.
    I think he "looks" slower because he is under control. We know that being under control, even in "slow-mo" like Kyle Anderson, is extremely effective. Don Coleman is fast/quick, but I would like him to also be under control.

  14. #59
    Golden Bear mbBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pa. (near Philly)
    Posts
    5,608
    Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    No, he posted something else, not that he had grades issues.
    He has posted complaints that McNeil isn't being asked about his GPA. I don't doubt you have the real issue correct, but I am saying he had that specific complaint.

  15. #60
    He has a good gpa, well above qualifying.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •