Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 798

Thread: OT: Duke Climate Change Study

  1. #1

    OT: Duke Climate Change Study

    Ahem. A Duke study of 1,000 years of observed climate data and not climate models concluded temperature variance due to "natural variability" and that temperature shifts are because of "ocean-atmosphere interaction and other natural factors."

    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/glo.../24/id/640540/

  2. #2
    Rushinbear, as I have said before, you don't know that your chosen media sources are lying to you.

    The study's author says:
    "Our study confirms that the warming of the past century could not have happened without human-caused increases in greenhouse gasses. This is because the warming over the past century is much larger than what could have come about due to natural variation."

    And more:
    "Laden concluded that the study's findings do not provide a "change in how we think about global warming," but rather a "refinement." But he warned that the results are likely to be "abused by denialists" and are being misrepresented, "willfully or through misunderstanding, by climate science contrarians."

    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/04...-ridicu/203410

  3. #3
    True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    Posts
    12,318
    I certainly know what the possible motivation is of those who deny man's role in climate change. Please advise what the ulterior motive is of the majority of scientists who proclaim global warming and man's responsibility therefor to be a fact.

  4. #4
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    24,582
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    Please advise what the ulterior motive is of the majority of scientists who proclaim global warming and man's responsibility therefor to be a fact.
    Why of course it's because these scientists have a vested interest in insuring that the liberal media continues it's stranglehold on the news.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushinbear View Post
    Ahem. A Duke study of 1,000 years of observed climate data and not climate models concluded temperature variance due to "natural variability" and that temperature shifts are because of "ocean-atmosphere interaction and other natural factors."

    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/glo.../24/id/640540/
    Seriously newsmax?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Why of course it's because these scientists have a vested interest in insuring that the liberal media continues it's stranglehold on the news.
    It's the scientists and Jerry Brown's fault.

  7. #7
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    24,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Boot View Post
    It's the scientists and Jerry Brown's fault.
    Don't forget Al Gore and the Buddha.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    I certainly know what the possible motivation is of those who deny man's role in climate change. Please advise what the ulterior motive is of the majority of scientists who proclaim global warming and man's responsibility therefor to be a fact.
    The majority of scientists who hold that view are suffering from STD (Severe Tea Deficiency).
    They really MUST go to more tea parties, especially if a person from Regent or Liberty university is the honored, guest speaker.

    When their tea level is sufficient, they too can reverently genuflect before the huge picture of Pat Robertson at the Norfolk, Virginia airport when arriving for their pilgrimage to either of those esteemed, revered institutions of right thinking, beloved by those whose tea intake grants them powers of proper wisdom.

  9. #9
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    24,582
    I had tea this morning. Don't you dare throw mine overboard.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    Rushinbear, as I have said before, you don't know that your chosen media sources are lying to you.
    How you know a story is false... If slanted sources (Newsmax, Fox or even MSNBC) are the only sources, be skeptical. It is the brilliance of the right wing media to have adopted the trope that only they tell the truth. Then, of course you must reject contradicting reports.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Go!Bears View Post
    How you know a story is false... If slanted sources (Newsmax, Fox or even MSNBC) are the only sources, be skeptical. It is the brilliance of the right wing media to have adopted the trope that only they tell the truth. Then, of course you must reject contradicting reports.
    I really disagree with the notion that MSNBC is on the level with Newsmax and Fox. Yes, MSNBC is liberal (except for three hours every weekday morning when a conservative republican hosts a show) but it displays its liberalness by covering material that is important or relevant to liberals. For example, it will give scrutiny to a conservative politician engaged in wrongdoing. However, MSNBC is not in the business of spreading lies and false misinformation, which is what Newsmax and Fox do all too often. That is a completely different level of partisanship.

  12. #12
    I eagerly await Rushlimbear's response. Unless you're taking money from the Koch brothers directly, I don't know why you'd be pushing their agenda. It's amazing how big business and other special interests have co-opted politics on both sides and gotten people to take positions against their true interests.

  13. #13
    Loyal Bear Bobodeluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SURRENDER MONKEY
    Posts
    4,454
    Newsmax is an even more Fair And Balanced News Source than Fox News.

    God Bless 'Murica!

    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/04...-ridicu/203410


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    I certainly know what the possible motivation is of those who deny man's role in climate change. Please advise what the ulterior motive is of the majority of scientists who proclaim global warming and man's responsibility therefor to be a fact.
    The vast majority of scientists agree about global warming, but that does not mean all scientists are not open to idea that much of global warming is "natural variability" or whatever you call it. The concern as I understand it is the pace of warming is alarming, suggesting to most scientists that its not natural. As for the reliable sources issue, its amusing to see who discounts what, and clearly reflects their own individual biases. One thing a Cal education used to provide was the view to be critical of everything.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    The vast majority of scientists agree about global warming, but that does not mean all scientists are not open to idea that much of global warming is "natural variability" or whatever you call it.
    Even if this is true, it does not naturally follow that we shouldn't be concerned about our creation of greenhouse gases. We know that greenhouse gases have an effect just like we knew catalytic converters would reduce smog and we knew banning CFCs would reduce the hole in the ozone layer. Ironically, ozone is a greenhouse gas and the hole actually may have helped reduce global warming. Whether global warming is primarily manmade or natural variation, we can take action to reduce our impact.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •