Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Duke Climate Change Study

Quote Originally Posted by NVBear78 View Post
    Every conservative I know thinks Jeff Dunham is hilarious
    Fixed that for ya.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Amen. And its so odd to me that progressives and liberals never seem to question anything their leaders, government and media spoon feed them. Every conservative I know enquires deeply about the issues and reaches their own conclusions. Conservatives are often the toughest on their own.
    You are being ironic, aren't you?

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    Amen. And its so odd to me that progressives and liberals never seem to question anything their leaders, government and media spoon feed them. Every conservative I know enquires deeply about the issues and reaches their own conclusions. Conservatives are often the toughest on their own yet I almost never hear a lib question Obama, Hilary, Reid, Pelosi particularly when they are shown to lie outright.
    Where were your brilliant inquiring minds when you let Bush/Cheney and their Neocon posse lead our Country down the path to destruction in the Middle East? If you were toughest on your own you would push to have those responsible for chalk boarding that pretextual war tried as war criminals. Please provide the list of lies you reference at the end of your post so I can conduct some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Pretty jerky to put words in my mouth.

p.s. Who is Jeff Dunham?

Pretty jerky to put words in my mouth.

p.s. Who is Jeff Dunham?
    My version was a lot closer to the truth than yours was. I'm sorry if you thought I was doing anything other than poking fun at your assertion which, as others have pointed out, is laughable.

I almost never hear a lib question Obama, Hilary, Reid, Pelosi particularly when they are shown to lie outright.
    You don't know any of my liberal friends, then, because they criticize those people all the time (Obama for continuing NSA wiretapping, Hillary for voting for the Iraq War, Reid for being boring and wishy-washy, etc.). They just still support them because they know those people running the country are 10x better than the alternative.

It's just that, being liberal, they criticize Democratic politicians for not being liberal enough. Just as I'm sure your conservative friends want Republicans to be more conservative. Don't think you guys have the monopoly on self-criticism because you only pay attention to conservative news sources.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    You are being ironic, aren't you?
    No

I was personally very concerned about going into Iraq. But when our next president Hilary voted for it I figured it must be OK. (Now I am being ironic). But I still think it was a huge mistake, just like Obama's entire "policy" in the Mideast.

Here we go again - same old tired arguments and knee jerks from both sides. Blah, blah, blah,...

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    They used to be on the Affordable Healthcare Act is evil bandwagon--until they found out their own constituents like it-now they are incorporating it into their own platform and driving the "us against them fake issue" wagon to the next town.
    http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
    Bearister, unless you've read my blog, you have no clue about my position on Obamacare (by the way, it's titled The Affordable Care Act, not the Affordable Healthcare Act, as long as we're trying for accuracy). I assume you haven't read the posting - it's a four part series analyzing the law (written after I read it, in its entirety). Here's the link to Part 1, written April 9, 2013. See for yourself and let us know. PS any others interested are welcome to read it; it's just that Bearister made the accusation.

http://freedomsfoundry.com/2013/04/0...can-do-part-1/

I take it as progress that the debate is no longer one of if climate change is occurring, but why. The deniers can keep moving the goalposts while the rest of us look for solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushinbear View Post
    There you go again - of temperature only and omitting the natural forces in the "big picture." Can you, without looking it up, explain the Holocene Interglacial and Ice Age periodicity, for starters? Where are we with respect to their historic variance? When someone uses the term "Pacific Decadal Oscillation", are they referring to the El Nino/La Nina phenomena? If you don't know the answers to those, then you have no concept of the "scientific" context within which decadal temperature anomalies are judged. You accuse others of cherry picking when you rely so heavily on it yourself. Blindfolded, you feel an elephant's leg and think it a tree.
    The Holocene Interglacial, aka the last ~8000 years, is just the latest warming cycle of "ice age periodicity", a gradual warming and cooling cycle that takes place over time spans of several thousands to tens of thousands of years. The last 30+ years of warming have happened in the blink of an eye compared to the glacial cycle. Different factors must be at work.

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation you mention has a 40-70 year periodicity but that's on the short side, as temperature have been climbing for a few decades now with no reversal in sight.

We can deconvolute the noisy climatological signal into its constituents. Phenomena with different periodicity are likely the result of different mechanisms. Apparently, the recent warming is not associated with any of the phenomena you mention, and global warming has, for good reason, been invoked to explain it.

Just for fun, I'll just throw out evidence that even the long term climate cycles you mention are due to fluctuations in the levels of greenhouse gases. Fact is that the easiest way to warm the planet is to absorb solar radiation. You just can't get any simpler than that.

Amen. And its so odd to me that progressives and liberals never seem to question anything their leaders, government and media spoon feed them. Every conservative I know enquires deeply about the issues and reaches their own conclusions. Conservatives are often the toughest on their own yet I almost never hear a lib question Obama, Hilary, Reid, Pelosi particularly when they are shown to lie outright.
    I'm reminded of the aftermath of the 2012 election, when conservatives just couldn't fathom how Obama got re-elected since they didn't know a single soul who voted for him...

Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    I was personally very concerned about going into Iraq. But when our next president Hilary voted for it I figured it must be OK. (Now I am being ironic). But I still think it was a huge mistake, just like Obama's entire "policy" in the Mideast.
    Then you were aligned with Obama who as both a state senator and later a U.S. Senator was a vocal opponent of the invasion of Iraq. No doubt all of his policies the Middle East are not beyond criticism, but cleaning up someone else's mess has always been a thankless task. As a young trial attorney one of the important lessons I learned was to never to take over a litigation matter from an attorney who had bollocksed it up. It was simply inviting a malpractice action.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    Even if this is true, it does not naturally follow that we shouldn't be concerned about our creation of greenhouse gases. We know that greenhouse gases have an effect just like we knew catalytic converters would reduce smog and we knew banning CFCs would reduce the hole in the ozone layer. Ironically, ozone is a greenhouse gas and the hole actually may have helped reduce global warming. Whether global warming is primarily manmade or natural variation, we can take action to reduce our impact.
    Okay, I agree.

We are putting in solar in the house, we have two hybrids and we are buying an electric car, and I am skeptic that the problem is man made (I'm actually skeptical of many other things the left and right hold dear). I do believe that smog and air pollution are bad for overall health, and I don't want to live in place that looks like a large Chinese City. I would be curious to see what steps our resident liberals are personally taking, other than wanting to spend my tax dollars on questionable projects or regulation. BTW, as an real estate/environmental attorney who represented CA and local regulators, I can tell you the State regualtors consider most Federal rules to have essentially no beneficial impact, other than to create really neat markets to sell pollution that economists like to study. I can count on more than two hands bringing scientists into meetings with the Feds and having the Justice Department attorney leading the meeting say that the scientists may be right, but that is contrary to federal law, so who cares....If you really want to know who doesn't listen to science, go find a federal bureaucrat.

Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    I really disagree with the notion that MSNBC is on the level with Newsmax and Fox. Yes, MSNBC is liberal (except for three hours every weekday morning when a conservative republican hosts a show) but it displays its liberalness by covering material that is important or relevant to liberals. For example, it will give scrutiny to a conservative politician engaged in wrongdoing. However, MSNBC is not in the business of spreading lies and false misinformation, which is what Newsmax and Fox do all too often. That is a completely different level of partisanship.
    NO one else probably knows, since essentially no one but true believers watch MSNBC any more. A big congrads to MSNBC for losing more viewers in 2014 than any other cable station.

Edit: great joke by Obama on no one watching MSNBC at the press gala.

This commie has solar and in a bow to the drought I am pondering going European and bathing once a month.