Thread: OT: Anybody watching The Defiant Ones?

OT: Anybody watching The Defiant Ones?

It's a 4-hour HBO documentary on Cal alum Vicki Iovine's ex-husband and Dr. Dre.

It's pretty good.

UPDATE: I posted the Vicki part below....

Last edited by okaydo; 07-11-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Yes, very well done

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    It's a 4-hour HBO documentary on Cal alum Vicki Iovine's ex-husband and Dr. Dre.

It's pretty good.

I was a little disappointed with Part 1. Just seems like a Dre/Iovine marketing vehicle. But there is cool footage. And anytime Iovine or Dre aren't talking, it's interesting. I'll keep watching and hope it improves.

Started last night. Got kind of bored.

Here's the relevant part:

https://vimeo.com/225124854
    Last edited by okaydo; 07-11-2017 at 09:06 AM.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    She was in my class at Hastings. She was Miss September '79 in Playboy. The issue came out after we graduated in the Spring of that year. She used to hang out with Cloris Leachman's son, Adam Englund, a fellow classmate. I never spoke to either of them since they appeared to be above my pay grade. You gotta figure the "buy out" in her divorce from Jimmy Iovine after that many years of marriage had to be north of $100 million.
    Last edited by bearister; 07-11-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    She was in my class at Hastings. She was Miss September '79 in Playboy. The issue came out after we graduated in the Spring of that year. She used to hang out with Cloris Leachman's son, Adam Englund, a fellow classmate. I never spoke to either of them since they appeared to be above my pay grade. You gotta figure the "buy out" in her divorce from Jimmy Iovine after that many years of marriage had to be north of $100 million.
    As mentioned above, she turned her divorce into a TV series, which finished its 3rd season earlier this year.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vicki-..._b_199805.html

Jimmy Iovine's current wife, Liberty Ross, is 25 years his junior.

If you don't know who Liberty Ross is -- well, she's a former model who was married to this guy named Rupert Sanders.

While Rupert Sanders was directing his first film, Snow White and the Huntsman, he was captured by paparazzi making out with star Kristen Stewart.

Kristen Stewart publicly apologized to her boyfriend, Robert Pattinson.

The cheating revelation prompted this response from the current leader of the free world.

Meanwhile, Rupert Sanders' 2nd movie, released earlier this year, bombed.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Okaydo, the Fairfax HS and pop culture is strong in you.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    I was a little disappointed with Part 1. Just seems like a Dre/Iovine marketing vehicle. But there is cool footage. And anytime Iovine or Dre aren't talking, it's interesting. I'll keep watching and hope it improves.
    Updated review: Episodes 2 and 3 were fantastic. I could not recommend them enough. Episode 4 was mostly an extended ad for Beats/Apple Music. Awful. On that note, there was one glaringly bad moment in Episode 2 when Dre was discussing his brother's death and the camera sloooooowly panned to a Beats speaker. A huge WTF moment.

On the whole, The Defiant Ones is worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Updated review: Episodes 2 and 3 were fantastic. I could not recommend them enough. Episode 4 was mostly an extended ad for Beats/Apple Music. Awful. On that note, there was one glaringly bad moment in Episode 2 when Dre was discussing his brother's death and the camera sloooooowly panned to a Beats speaker. A huge WTF moment.

On the whole, The Defiant Ones is worth watching.
    Interesting- as the show went on I tended to skip the Iovine parts, especially as he became more mogul. Part of it is I'm not fans of Nicks, Petty or U2 so his stadium rock musicality there didn't interest me. The stuff with Dre and NWA Otoh was fantastic and made the show worth watching as was a lot of the early footage of everyone and the cutting- "beats commercials" excluded
    Last edited by GB54; 07-16-2017 at 10:27 AM.