Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On topic : Cal Football

True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar

On topic : Cal Football

fall camp starts soon

Good link, GFR. Are the sand workouts new? Something we've done before?

Pac-12 Football Media Day in two weeks, July 26-27. Coach Wilcox, Tre Watson and James Looney appear the first day starting at 10:42 am PT.

http://pac-12.com/football/media-days

Quote Originally Posted by TheSouseFamily View Post
    Good link, GFR. Are the sand workouts new? Something we've done before?
    I have seen clips of them in the sand but I have feeling the new Sc coach has his own twist on sand workouts (what kind of working /how many reps?) now vs before.
    Last edited by going4roses; 07-12-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    Pac-12 Football Media Day in two weeks, July 26-27. Coach Wilcox, Tre Watson and James Looney appear the first day starting at 10:42 am PT.

http://pac-12.com/football/media-days
    Thx 72

Quote Originally Posted by going4roses View Post
    Thx 72
    Anytime. I figured it was on topic. hahaha.

I live just below the sand lots/parking lot, and recall that the football team has spent some time in the sand for several years.

Watching them try and move is most interesting. Our Cal beach vb team likely could show them a thing or two.

Quote Originally Posted by oskigobears View Post
    I live just below the sand lots/parking lot, and recall that the football team has spent some time in the sand for several years.

Watching them try and move is most interesting. Our Cal beach vb team likely could show them a thing or two.
    Interesting. Thanks.

Thank you for this thread

Your very welcome

Conditioning and strength- we don't talk about this too much, but over the course of many years, I have heard it said that Cal is one of the "softest" teams in the PAC 12 contributing to our under achievement despite catchy slogans (toughest team wins). Like all Cal fans, I hope the new staff really can help turn this around.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    Conditioning and strength- we don't talk about this too much, but over the course of many years, I have heard it said that Cal is one of the "softest" teams in the PAC 12 contributing to our under achievement despite catchy slogans (toughest team wins). Like all Cal fans, I hope the new staff really can help turn this around.
    Agree, and yet when Dykes came in I remember the players saying the workouts were harder than ever. Many said they threw up for the first time during the conditioning. Let's hope our new conditioning is more football specific because we got pushed around despite the difficulties of our last workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXBEAR View Post
    Not completely certain, but I believe the prior S&C staff spent more time on the conditioning portion due to Bear Raid offense and tempo. My understanding is that under JW the S&C staff will devote more time and energy into developing strength while still making sure the team is well conditioned. Every team has a S&C program. Part of the answer to getting better involves recruiting bigger and better players from the outset.