Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80

Thread: Bowers vs. Forest - Who you got?

  1. #1

    Bowers vs. Forest - Who you got?

    Assuming that Brandon McIlwain is unable to be immediately eligible, Cal's QB race for 2017 will come down to Chase and Ross.

    Quick context on the two of them:

    Ross Bowers - 6'2", 190lbs, RS Sophomore: Rated the #37 QB across the top six national recruiting services out of HS. Has yet to throw a ball in his college career.

    Spring 2017: Showed off a stronger arm than his teammate, Bowers also has nimble feet in the pocket and demonstrated playmaking ability when throwing on the move. Carries himself with a bit of an edge and has some fire and swagger to his personality. Although both played well, most observers game Ross a slight nod with his scrimmage performances this Spring over Chase.

    Chase Forest - 6'2" and 205lbs, RS Junior: Rated the #110 QB coming out of HS. Has played in three games, completing 56% of his passes with one TD and one Int (All in 2015).

    Spring 2017: Chase is a strong student of the game and had mastered the TFS thus a bit of an adjustment for him with Beau Baldwin's new scheme. Known for his accuracy and consistency along with good decision making, Chase makes up for an average arm with his poise and mental preparation. Chase is a calm, cool presence that has earned the respect of his teammates with his hard work and humility

    Who do you like?

  2. #2

    Hard to KNow

    Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Assuming that Brandon McIlwain is unable to be immediately eligible, Cal's QB race for 2017 will come down to Chase and Ross.

    Quick context on the two of them:

    Ross Bowers - 6'2", 190lbs, RS Sophomore: Rated the #37 QB across the top six national recruiting services out of HS. Has yet to throw a ball in his college career.

    Spring 2017: Showed off a stronger arm than his teammate, Bowers also has nimble feet in the pocket and demonstrated playmaking ability when throwing on the move. Carries himself with a bit of an edge and has some fire and swagger to his personality. Although both played well, most observers game Ross a slight nod with his scrimmage performances this Spring over Chase.

    Chase Forest - 6'2" and 205lbs, RS Junior: Rated the #110 QB coming out of HS. Has played in three games, completing 56% of his passes with one TD and one Int (All in 2015).

    Spring 2017: Chase is a strong student of the game and had mastered the TFS thus a bit of an adjustment for him with Beau Baldwin's new scheme. Known for his accuracy and consistency along with good decision making, Chase makes up for an average arm with his poise and mental preparation. Chase is a calm, cool presence that has earned the respect of his teammates with his hard work and humility

    Who do you like?
    From your description, it looks like Bowers has more upside, but also more risk. I think it depends on a) whether the defense has some improvement; and, b) whether the offensive line is any good. If both are true, I'd be more inclined to go with Forest, because you'll want a QB that doesn't make a lot of turnovers, and an offense that scores on drives. If they're not true, then we may have to take more risks in order to outscore the opposition, and Bowers might be the better choice. If b is true and a is not, I'd be more likely to go with Bowers. if the reverse, I'd go with Forest, because decision making is important when you have to get rid of the ball quickly. Ultimately, the winner will probably be the one that picks up Baldwin's scheme the most quickly. I also think we can't be afraid to make a change during the season if the named starter is not producing.

  3. #3
    I think Baldwin will choose Bowers as this player fits more easily to his style of game. My personal reservation would be to go with the more accurate passer. There is no substitute for accuracy.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    From your description, it looks like Bowers has more upside, but also more risk. I think it depends on a) whether the defense has some improvement; and, b) whether the offensive line is any good. If both are true, I'd be more inclined to go with Forest, because you'll want a QB that doesn't make a lot of turnovers, and an offense that scores on drives. If they're not true, then we may have to take more risks in order to outscore the opposition, and Bowers might be the better choice. If b is true and a is not, I'd be more likely to go with Bowers. if the reverse, I'd go with Forest, because decision making is important when you have to get rid of the ball quickly. Ultimately, the winner will probably be the one that picks up Baldwin's scheme the most quickly. I also think we can't be afraid to make a change during the season if the named starter is not producing.
    Don't agree with your conclusion, though I'm not going to apply it to Bowers/Forest as I don't think we know enough. Bottom line, no matter what system we have run, all of my life Cal does not win without a dynamic QB. The most obvious example being 2005 when Cal was pretty much awesome across 21 starting positions. The QB stirs the drink. Caretakers don't work here. I'd rather have 2002 Boller than a guy who doesn't make a lot of turnovers no matter what the D or OL look like. I will go with the guy who makes the most plays over the guy who makes the fewest mistakes every time.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    Assuming that Brandon McIlwain is unable to be immediately eligible, Cal's QB race for 2017 will come down to Chase and Ross.

    Quick context on the two of them:

    Ross Bowers - 6'2", 190lbs, RS Sophomore: Rated the #37 QB across the top six national recruiting services out of HS. Has yet to throw a ball in his college career.

    Spring 2017: Showed off a stronger arm than his teammate, Bowers also has nimble feet in the pocket and demonstrated playmaking ability when throwing on the move. Carries himself with a bit of an edge and has some fire and swagger to his personality. Although both played well, most observers game Ross a slight nod with his scrimmage performances this Spring over Chase.

    Chase Forest - 6'2" and 205lbs, RS Junior: Rated the #110 QB coming out of HS. Has played in three games, completing 56% of his passes with one TD and one Int (All in 2015).

    Spring 2017: Chase is a strong student of the game and had mastered the TFS thus a bit of an adjustment for him with Beau Baldwin's new scheme. Known for his accuracy and consistency along with good decision making, Chase makes up for an average arm with his poise and mental preparation. Chase is a calm, cool presence that has earned the respect of his teammates with his hard work and humility

    Who do you like?
    wasnt TFS system diff than spavs?

  6. #6
    True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
    Posts
    29,253
    I got anyone that can run the offense confidently and move the ball utilizing our talent at the skill positions. I do like that Ross has that running element too. We just need a decent offense as our D gets better.

  7. #7
    Not only has one not separated from the other, they both seem *reasonably* similar in terms of talent, athletics, etc. So to me, unless one demonstrates a big difference, it will probably come down to intangibles, likely personality and leadership. Does either stand out in terms of how teammates respond? Does Beau think we need more of a fiery leader (Bowers) or a more stable cool one (Forrest)... [and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.]

  8. #8
    True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
    Posts
    29,253
    Quote Originally Posted by YamhillBear View Post
    Not only has one not separated from the other, they both seem *reasonably* similar in terms of talent, athletics, etc. So to me, unless one demonstrates a big difference, it will probably come down to intangibles, likely personality and leadership. Does either stand out in terms of how teammates respond? Does Beau think we need more of a fiery leader (Bowers) or a more stable cool one (Forrest)... [and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.]
    Hmm sounds like Mike Pawlawski (Bowers) v. Troy Taylor (Forrest).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Hmm sounds like Mike Pawlawski (Bowers) v. Troy Taylor (Forrest).
    kinda optimistic there. It is just as likely to be Steve Levy v. Joe Ayoob, though more likely to be in the middle. At this point, I'd be satisfied with Kevin Riley v. Nate Longshore for this year.

    If either of these guys is either Paws or Taylor, he can have the job now.

  10. #10
    Forrest should have separated himself via an extra year in the system-so, Bowers

  11. #11
    Golden Bear oskirules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    outside the matrix
    Posts
    5,545
    In beginning, it's probably the guy that knows the playbook best, manage the clock, and not turn the ball over.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    At this point, I'd be satisfied with Kevin Riley v. Nate Longshore for this year.
    Pre-injury or post?

    I, too, would be happy with Paws, Taylor, Riley, or Longshore. I'm even okay with Reggie Robertson.

  13. #13
    Golden Bear Strykur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Bear View Post
    Pre-injury or post?

    I, too, would be happy with Paws, Taylor, Riley, or Longshore. I'm even okay with Reggie Robertson.
    Given what we have seen the last 3 years, any of that would be pretty disappointing. If Forrest by now has not figured out how to run an offense, then we are in trouble.
    Last edited by Strykur; 07-12-2017 at 12:05 PM.

  14. #14
    True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
    Posts
    29,253
    Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    kinda optimistic there. It is just as likely to be Steve Levy v. Joe Ayoob, though more likely to be in the middle. At this point, I'd be satisfied with Kevin Riley v. Nate Longshore for this year.

    If either of these guys is either Paws or Taylor, he can have the job now.
    Not saying they have the talent, just the style. Although Paws couldn't run much so I am hoping Bowers would open up a dimension there that we haven't seen in a while.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    Given what we have seen the last 3 years, any of that would be pretty disappointing. If Forrest by now has not figured out how to run an offense, then we are in trouble.
    I only mean that we've had NFL-level QB talent the past few seasons, and I'm okay with a notch below that; i.e. serviceable Pac-10/12 level QB play. We'll see whether Bowers or Forrest can be at that level.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •