Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 75

Thread: Bowers vs. Forest - Who you got?

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    Don't agree with your conclusion, though I'm not going to apply it to Bowers/Forest as I don't think we know enough. Bottom line, no matter what system we have run, all of my life Cal does not win without a dynamic QB. The most obvious example being 2005 when Cal was pretty much awesome across 21 starting positions. The QB stirs the drink. Caretakers don't work here. I'd rather have 2002 Boller than a guy who doesn't make a lot of turnovers no matter what the D or OL look like. I will go with the guy who makes the most plays over the guy who makes the fewest mistakes every time.
    I think that just attests to us having bad luck with the systems in general. If all systems required a dynamic QB to operate, then LSU and Wiscy would never win anything. Wiscy just replaced their starter in the middle of the season and somehow got to the B1G title game so I can't believe that's true in all cases.

  2. #17
    True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    OAKLAND CA USA
    Posts
    15,645
    Quote Originally Posted by packawana View Post
    I think that just attests to us having bad luck with the systems in general. If all systems required a dynamic QB to operate, then LSU and Wiscy would never win anything. Wiscy just replaced their starter in the middle of the season and somehow got to the B1G title game so I can't believe that's true in all cases.
    I think the Wisconsin defense was reason they made it to the big10 title game

  3. #18
    Golden Bear Strykur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,108
    Quote Originally Posted by going4roses View Post
    I think the Wisconsin defense was reason they made it to the big10 title game
    They play in the Big Ten West which is a soft division, so they can coast to the conference championship game every year unless Iowa or Nebraska do something.

  4. #19
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    22,115

  5. #20
    True Blue Golden Bear okaydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bearilinga, CA
    Posts
    22,115

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykur View Post
    They play in the Big Ten West which is a soft division, so they can coast to the conference championship game every year unless Iowa or Nebraska do something.
    They were in it with Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. Michigan was down to the wire. With even a marginally better offense they problably flip two of those games.

  7. #22

    Then you probably would favor Bowers, although I agree that the data are minimal.

    Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    Don't agree with your conclusion, though I'm not going to apply it to Bowers/Forest as I don't think we know enough. Bottom line, no matter what system we have run, all of my life Cal does not win without a dynamic QB. The most obvious example being 2005 when Cal was pretty much awesome across 21 starting positions. The QB stirs the drink. Caretakers don't work here. I'd rather have 2002 Boller than a guy who doesn't make a lot of turnovers no matter what the D or OL look like. I will go with the guy who makes the most plays over the guy who makes the fewest mistakes every time.
    Here's the other problem. If you take Bowers, who has less experience, you may get big plays and big mistakes, the end result being a worse record next year, though perhaps that sets the stage for a big season the following year. There's no way of knowing. Which is why angst abounds. It's been a long time since I can remember going into the academic year having this level of uncertainty in both football and basketball.

  8. #23
    One thing I'm hoping is that Wilcox won't be afraid to make a change if the starter is not producing. The idea of handing the job to someone, then standing by him while the ship sinks makes no sense to me.

  9. #24
    Competition is good for both. Ether player has a huge incentive to produce now:Forrest to start this year or it may never happen. Bowers same start now or it may never happen.

  10. #25
    True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
    Posts
    29,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    One thing I'm hoping is that Wilcox won't be afraid to make a change if the starter is not producing. The idea of handing the job to someone, then standing by him while the ship sinks makes no sense to me.
    Yep, no doubt about it.


  11. #26
    True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Island of Manhattan
    Posts
    24,604
    Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Yep, no doubt about it.

    Is JT is holding a Denny's menu?

  12. #27
    True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    OAKLAND CA USA
    Posts
    15,645
    Lol

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Is JT is holding a Denny's menu?
    Lol

  14. #29
    GB54 - I feel the same way. When I watch the Spring Game on tv I saw more upside in Bowers. This is not going to be a good year, you might as well prepare for the future. Bowers all the way.

  15. #30
    True Blue Golden Bear going4roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    OAKLAND CA USA
    Posts
    15,645
    I wouldn't be so sure about that @ this season being not so good.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •