Thread: What Wisconsin's 2016 Defense tells us about Cal's 2017 Defense

What Wisconsin's 2016 Defense tells us about Cal's 2017 Defense

The article lays out a clear, logical explanation on why we can expect substantial improvement this year in our defense. (Improvement to "average" would be substantial).

In doing the research, was interesting to see how closely Cal and Wisconsin's recruiting rankings have been the last four years. That plus Wilcox as their DC and now our HC as well as the move to the 3-4 led me to feel this comparison was apt.

One of the other things to like about Wilcox's defense at Wisconsin is they were among the top turnover creating defenses in the country.

If that style of play translates to Cal, it could easily create a 2 game differnce in W/L record and be the difference between a minor bowl or staying home.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    One of the other things to like about Wilcox's defense at Wisconsin is they were among the top turnover creating defenses in the country.

If that style of play translates to Cal, it could easily create a 2 game differnce in W/L record and be the difference between a minor bowl or staying home.
    Yes. Turnovers. Wiscy had 22 ints last year. 34 sacks. less than 30% 3rd down conversion rate. These are the sort of stats that get you wins. Or between a minor bowl and a somewhat better bowl. I do not expect that kind of performance but improvements in turnovers, sacks, TFLs and 3rd down conversion rate will be a significant accomplishment.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear19 View Post
    The article lays out a clear, logical explanation on why we can expect substantial improvement this year in our defense. (Improvement to "average" would be substantial).
    I expect it because we won't have a very animated man on the sidelines looking befuddled as he watches yet another 90 yard kick off return for a touchdown following a Cal score.

Quote Originally Posted by BearGreg View Post
    In doing the research, was interesting to see how closely Cal and Wisconsin's recruiting rankings have been the last four years. That plus Wilcox as their DC and now our HC as well as the move to the 3-4 led me to feel this comparison was apt.
    You are indeed correct. Thank you for sharing that tidbit. I'll keep repeating it - the most impactful talent on the team is the HC and his selected staff. UW last year, the average star classes that comprised that roster, likely the lowest to ever compete for a Championship or #1 ranking.

Excited to see what this team looks like...
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post

I'm leery of a defense that relies on turnovers. Yes there's a high correlation to winning, but you don't see teams being outliers in the stat for extended periods of time. I think there is a certain randomness and luck factor involved to becoming an outlier. Not that you can't create the environment for it, I just think it's hard to produce it with any regularity.