Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Way OT: Popular Food Near Campus When You were a Student

Oscar's at College and Bancroft, long gone, and the Kingfish for beer once a week. Brennan's on Fourth street off University on Sunday nights, when the sorority I hashed at didn't serve dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by YamhillBear View Post
    In my time (early '80's): Bertola's, Bongo Burger, LaVal's, Top Dog, Fondue Fred's, Fentons. Just writing this list is giving me stomach rumblings, of both a good and a bad sort.
    Same era. Would add Blondie's, Giant Burger, and the Soup Kitchen. Forget the name, but there was a Chinese place with good hot & sour soup near People's Park (roughly at Bowditch and Haste or Dwight).

A friend claims he had Blondie's for dinner roughly every other night while in law school at Hastings. Decent hoof for mediocre slices. Tenderloin methadone clinics probably had better food.

Quote Originally Posted by nwbear View Post
    Zona Rosa and Mario's La Fiesta. The Baked Potato cart on Bancroft at Sproul Plaza.
    Three of my favorites...you must have been an early to mid '90's guy.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Not to go OT, but my wife and I are on vacation in upstate NY. We'd just arrived in Saranac Lake Village, parked in the quaint downtown area and saw a place called Bitters & Bones, which was highly recommended for their farm to table food and craft beer. Upon entering we were engaged by a pleasant barkeep and after sitting down at the bar heard a loud "Go Bears!" emanate from the kitchen (I'm wearing a Cal sweatshirt). The owner came out and explained that he was actually a UCLA alum but had always loved Berkeley much more than Westwood. Better food, more eclectic, etc. if any of you ever find yourself here, I'd highly recommend this place. Very impressive food, atmosphere, drinks and hospitality.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    Not to go OT, but my wife and I are on vacation in upstate NY. We'd just arrived in Saranac Lake Village, parked in the quaint downtown area and saw a place called Bitters & Bones, which was highly recommended for their farm to table food and craft beer. Upon entering we were engaged by a pleasant barkeep and after sitting down at the bar heard a loud "Go Bears!" emanate from the kitchen (I'm wearing a Cal sweatshirt). The owner came out and explained that he was actually a UCLA alum but had always loved Berkeley much more than Westwood. Better food, more eclectic, etc. if any of you ever find yourself here, I'd highly recommend this place. Very impressive food, atmosphere, drinks and hospitality.
    Nice rec im writing it down. I used to live im upstate miss the summer and fall. Hell winters werent that bad either if you knew how to navigate it.

Hunger Pang on Durant (next to Kingpin Donuts).

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    After NYCGOB helicoptered 10 craft brews:

Owner: Why are you drinking so much and so fast?

NYCGOB: You would be doing this too if you had what I have.

Owner: What do you have?

NYCGOB: 75 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by dajo9 View Post
    +1

I ate at Fat Slice more than anywhere else - but mostly because a slice and a coke was $1.50 or something like that.
    Same here, chose Fat Slice over Blondies too.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    After NYCGOB helicoptered 10 craft brews:

Owner: Why are you drinking so much and so fast?

NYCGOB: You would be doing this too if you had what I have.

Owner: What do you have?

NYCGOB: 75 cents.
    Do I end up in jail?

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    Do I end up in jail?
    No, you got the "good buddy discount" for being a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    Kips, the Rat, Top Dog, Pizza Haven, Blimpies, Sunshine Inn, and Sandwich-a-Go-Go.
    I remember sandwich a go-go- 2 sandwiches for $5! I loved Grossburger, the Rat, and The Smokehouse.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by upsetof86 View Post
    +1 also one if my go to places
    Happy to hear someone remembers it!

Top Dog, Steve's, Bear Ramen and Kingpin. Those were my joints. I had a buddy who worked at Cafe Fanny who used to hook me up there and at the Cafe at Chez Panisse. Great times.
    Steve's was quality. Berkel Berkel was the pits.

Quote Originally Posted by 77Bear View Post
    . . . this was in the mid-1970s. There was a Falafel Cart parked daily on the Bancroft sidewalk at Telegraph that often had a line, albeit a short one. I had never heard of falafel before and I wasn't interested in trying it, but the cart seemed to be popular (despite the pervasive aura of rancid grease), at least among hairy-armpit Earth Mothers and mal-nourished Tie-Die Vegetarians. The popularity of the cart piqued my curiosity but it was never enough for me to give it a try.
    My memory is a bit hazy so to speak but was the food cart "Crazy Dave's Falafel?"

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    I miss Flint's
    Nothing like it. Anything close in the Bay Area?