Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bears going to new zealand and australia...

bears going to new zealand and australia...

...in august

this is great ... especially for nena

i will forever be grateful to stanford coach tara for referring cal to davidson.
    I dont need easy, I need possible. Jorge Gutierrez

Trips like this are great. But I think there should also be an attendance/profit/loss component built into LG's contract to some extent. To afford trips like this, you have to put fans in the seats. Last year's out-of-conference home schedule was putrid, and 10-26 in the conference the past two years also did not attract any new fans.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Trips like this are great. But I think there should also be an attendance/profit/loss component built into LG's contract to some extent. To afford trips like this, you have to put fans in the seats. Last year's out-of-conference home schedule was putrid, and 10-26 in the conference the past two years also did not attract any new fans.
    I think the financial breakdown is just too big an issue, beyond just LG and Cal, for something like that.

Plus LG saves about 4-5 scholarships a year

So what do you suppose this trip will cost?

flight, food & lodging and entertainment for team, staff, families, and athletic department hangers on?

Who is underwriting this boondoggle?

AFAIK teams are allowed one preseason overseas trip every four years. I'm sure it costs more than a conference away weekend but it's a recruiting incentive as well as an educational opportunity for the team. Wish I could tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    AFAIK teams are allowed one preseason overseas trip every four years. I'm sure it costs more than a conference away weekend but it's a recruiting incentive as well as an educational opportunity for the team. Wish I could tag along.
    +1

And, as we all know, the Bears have two players from the region - Penina Davidson (New Zealand) who is also approaching her senior season and Sara Anastasieska (Australia). I hear it's 3 games over a period of 10 days.

Per University records, Lindsay's total UC compensation in 2015 was $672,619. This included $297,500 in base salary, $330,400 in "extra pay", and $44,719 in benefits.

At $165 per season ticket, this would require sale of 4076 season tickets simply to cover the head coach's salary. And last year, the fan bus to the Stanford away game had to be cancelled due to lack of interest even among hardcore fans.

Conclusion: Hope that Lindsay is personally covering some of the expenses for this trip while awaiting improvement in our record, and that the expectations for this salary level will return to being a top three team in the conference. (It also wouldn't hurt from an attendance-building standpoint to have a less cringe-worthy offense.)

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Per University records, Lindsay's total UC compensation in 2015 was $672,619. This included $297,500 in base salary, $330,400 in "extra pay", and $44,719 in benefits.

At $165 per season ticket, this would require sale of 4076 season tickets simply to cover the head coach's salary. And last year, the fan bus to the Stanford away game had to be cancelled due to lack of interest even among hardcore fans.

Conclusion: Hope that Lindsay is personally covering some of the expenses for this trip while awaiting improvement in our record, and that the expectations for this salary level will return to being a top three team in the conference. (It also wouldn't hurt from an attendance-building standpoint to have a less cringe-worthy offense.)
    Many different sports teams both men and women are non-revenue, so while an interesting broad topic, I don't think we need to draw the line here.

Most WCBB make a trip to somewhere in Europe for these. Cal has instead gone to Africa, China, and now New Zealand/Australia.

...and don't forget about Sara Anastasieski the Bear from Australia.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by kat0189 View Post
    Many different sports teams both men and women are non-revenue, so while an interesting broad topic, I don't think we need to draw the line here.

Most WCBB make a trip to somewhere in Europe for these. Cal has instead gone to Africa, China, and now New Zealand/Australia.
    Yep. Think each of the recent trips were tied to a birth of one of the players on the team. It was ideal trip to learn the culture of their teammate. If the sport was tied to the bottom line, I guess only the MBB & FB team would be taking a trip abroad.

Except when they were talking about cutting sports teams a few years back, they were talking about the bottom line.

There seems to be some angst about the cost of this trip. I get that. But I think a bigger story is the experience gained by this team against international competition no less. Also, these pre-season exhibition games will help the newcomers acclimate to their new teammates. Bonding opportunity too.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    There seems to be some angst about the cost of this trip. I get that. But I think a bigger story is the experience gained by this team against international competition no less. Also, these pre-season exhibition games will help the newcomers acclimate to their new teammates. Bonding opportunity too.
    More info can be found in this press release from Basketball New Zealand.

Coaches love these foreign trips, which give a team a big head-start by way of many early days of practice at home in addition to the live competition overseas. Our opponents should be respectable, especially in our second game where we will be playing the defending WNBL champions.

As noted, this is an especially good opportunity for integrating our 3 freshmen into the team. And the bonding opportunity on trips like this is real, unlike those phony preseason bonding exercises (which create a feelgood atmosphere for maybe a day or two). Who knows, maybe the bonding from a trip like this might bleed onto the court so that we play more like a team than a collection of individuals (unlikely, but we can always hope).

We should also see this as a potential recruiting trip. I don't know if our absence of recruits from this part of the world is due to choice or failed attempts. (Penina and Sara don't count as our own recruits because they came by way of the efforts made by other schools.) But if we are trying and failing, a trip like this can only help, with opportunities to make contacts off-court and a chance to present Berkeley on-court not just as a great academic destination but also a very viable basketball choice. The press release speaks directly to the opportunity to recruit from New Zealand if that is our inclination.

Of course, we did recruit one all-time great from Australia many years ago. I wonder if anyone has contacted Jackie Lear in connection with this trip - her day job is firefighting but she is still connected to basketball as an assistant coach for Queensland South. She must also have many contacts from her long career as a professional player as well so it couldn't hurt to reach out to her to advertise the fact that we are visiting and open to recruiting in this part of the world. It could be more fruitful than sharing the same contacts that every other program uses to recruit from Australia.

Finally, both Penina and Sara will get to play not just in their home country but in their hometown. I'm glad the program made this effort and look forward to their reports from this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineyardview View Post
    So what do you suppose this trip will cost?

flight, food & lodging and entertainment for team, staff, families, and athletic department hangers on?

Who is underwriting this boondoggle?
    I would assume the promoters/sponsors of this event are paying something to the schools.

Perhaps while they are there they can learn the Haka. They could use something to instill a killer instinct in them.