Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jorge Gutierrez -Summer League Trailblazers

True Blue Golden Bear MinotStateBeav's Avatar

Jorge Gutierrez -Summer League Trailblazers

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...to-semifinals/

3:30 p.m.: Gutierrez banking on experience for roster spot

Caleb Swanigan has received the bulk of the credit for the Portland Trail Blazers’ stellar play at the NBA Summer League with his size and strength in the paint.
    But up top, Jorge Gutierrez has flourished as the Blazers’ point guard.
    Gutierrez, a product of Findlay Prep, filled the stat sheet Saturday with 10 points, four steals and three assists in 25 minutes during the Blazers’ 94-87 victory over the Spurs to advance to the semifinals.
    “My experience has led to my minutes,” said Gutierrez, who is averaging 24 minutes in the league. “I know how to control the offense and lead the team.”
    Gutierrez has played for four NBA teams and multiple international squads since turning pro in 2012 from California.
    The Mexican-born guard isn’t the only former Findlay Prep standout on his team. He’s joined in the Portland backcourt by Nick Johnson.
    “Nick got there a year after me, but we had some battles when he was at Arizona and I was at Cal,” Gutierrez said. “He’s part of the Findlay family, so I know him well.”
    Gutierrez led the Pilots to their first national title game in 2008.
    “We came up short, but they have won it a lot ever since,” Gutierrez said. “It’s always good to come back to Las Vegas. I feel comfortable here.”
    — Gilbert Manzano
    TOP NEWS

GO GO JORGE!!! They are playing Memphis today at 3pm pst.
    Last edited by MinotStateBeav; 07-16-2017 at 07:37 AM.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    Jorge Gutierrez, a product of the University of California, at Berkeley.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotStateBeav View Post
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...to-semifinals/

3:30 p.m.: Gutierrez banking on experience for roster spot

Caleb Swanigan has received the bulk of the credit for the Portland Trail Blazers’ stellar play at the NBA Summer League with his size and strength in the paint.
    But up top, Jorge Gutierrez has flourished as the Blazers’ point guard.
    Gutierrez, a product of Findlay Prep, filled the stat sheet Saturday with 10 points, four steals and three assists in 25 minutes during the Blazers’ 94-87 victory over the Spurs to advance to the semifinals.
    “My experience has led to my minutes,” said Gutierrez, who is averaging 24 minutes in the league. “I know how to control the offense and lead the team.”
    Gutierrez has played for four NBA teams and multiple international squads since turning pro in 2012 from California.
    The Mexican-born guard isn’t the only former Findlay Prep standout on his team. He’s joined in the Portland backcourt by Nick Johnson.
    “Nick got there a year after me, but we had some battles when he was at Arizona and I was at Cal,” Gutierrez said. “He’s part of the Findlay family, so I know him well.”
    Gutierrez led the Pilots to their first national title game in 2008.
    “We came up short, but they have won it a lot ever since,” Gutierrez said. “It’s always good to come back to Las Vegas. I feel comfortable here.”
    — Gilbert Manzano
    TOP NEWS

GO GO JORGE!!! They are playing Memphis today at 3pm pst.
    Thanks for this!

I am pulling for Jorge to get a chance in the NBA.

Could not happen to a better guy.

Just had a crazy dish to Swaningan (will be on SC Top 10)...what could have been! (with Swaningan making a different decision and a time machine)

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Just had a crazy dish to Swaningan (will be on SC Top 10)...what could have been! (with Swaningan making a different decision and a time machine)
    Now Jorge gets to line up against Lonzo Ball in the Vegas final. Should be an interesting matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    Jorge Gutierrez, a product of the University of California, at Berkeley.
    Attendee of the University of California, at Berkeley.
    Jorge is a product of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    Now Jorge gets to line up against Lonzo Ball in the Vegas final. Should be an interesting matchup.
    Apparently, Lonzo Ball will not play tonight due to a right leg calf strain suffered yesterday.

He comported himself well yesterday in a semifinal win against Memphis especially after a rough first half. I believe he had 16 points, not sure how many assists, but as one poster mentioned he had a spectacular behind the back pass from the baseline to a big for an easy basket. It was from an odd angle and the only way he could have delivered the ball was with that pass. He followed that up a few possessions later with a crowd pleasing left handed behind the back pass from the foul line to a guy cutting into the lane.

He started terribly turning the ball over several times against physical athletic defenders pressing up on him. At one point he didn't look like he belonged and some fans jeered him, BUT and I mean BUT, he hung in there and really came through in the second half - played beautifully, making a few clutch baskets down the stretch. He looked every bit the part of an NBA point guard.

The program said he has been out for 4 years and it looks like he's been playing somewhere honing his game? Mexico?

Bird played great against the Warriors. Many of you probably saw that. He is so athletic and has a good jump shot, but does have weaknesses he needs to work on: mostly ball handling and taking guys off the dribble and finishing plays. I hope he makes a roster. He should be able to fill a scoring need off the bench, but it's so darn competitive. He just needs to keep playing and improving. The expansion of the G league should help these guys. Everybody in the summer league is good, and most of those guys won't make it.

Rabb didn't play the game I saw. Not sure why. I saw Solomon on a roster, but don't remember him playing.

If any of you have ever thought about making the trip out to Vegas and watching some summer league action I highly recommend it. It's great because it's cheap ($30 a day for 8 games in 2 connected venues) and you can get great seats. In the Cox Pavilion you are right on top of the players. If you stay at the Hard Rock, you can easily walk to the games.

BTW, I saw Ball play 4 times and I came away thinking the Celtics are idiots. He's a bonafide super star. I didn't realize he was that athletic. He's a lot like Kidd, but a much better scorer and he can play above the rim. Maybe this is hindsight having seen him play in summer league, but I don't see how he could fall through the people's radar like that? If I'm Ainge, I don't care if he's not excited about playing for me. At the very least, you could take him and make LA give you an extra first rounder for him, but after seeing him play I would never trade him. He's going to be a huge star and really makes everyone around him better. Kuzma is a keeper too. LA had a good draft to say the least.

Also, after watching Dylan Ennis drop 35 in like 25 minutes on the Clippers I'm wishing we could keep him too! The guy is a super athlete and can shoot. He'll be scoring off the bench for somebody.

They interviewed Jorge after the game - it's nice to see him get some ESPN national exposure. I was reminded once again how likeable he is.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCALBear72 View Post
    Apparently, Lonzo Ball will not play tonight due to a right leg calf strain suffered yesterday.
    He's just afraid Jorge will school him ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityBear View Post
    He's just afraid Jorge will school him ;-)
    Just ask Damian Lillard . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...juked_into_an/

Quote Originally Posted by pappysghost View Post
    BTW, I saw Ball play 4 times and I came away thinking the Celtics are idiots. He's a bonafide super star. I didn't realize he was that athletic. He's a lot like Kidd, but a much better scorer and he can play above the rim. Maybe this is hindsight having seen him play in summer league, but I don't see how he could fall through the people's radar like that?
    Whose radar did he fall through? He was the second overall pick, top 5 player coming out of high school, and far away the most talked about player in the draft (thanks to his free publicist).

If any of you have ever thought about making the trip out to Vegas and watching some summer league action I highly recommend it. It's great because it's cheap ($30 a day for 8 games in 2 connected venues) and you can get great seats. In the Cox Pavilion you are right on top of the players. If you stay at the Hard Rock, you can easily walk to the games.
    So, seriously, please explain.
    $30 per day
    8 games per day
    2 weeks long?
    Requires travel to vegas, accommodations, food/water.
    Anything else?

LA had a good draft to say the least.
    In LA they call that Magic.