Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: USC med school dean...

OT: USC med school dean...

Real Bear
    East of Tomales Bay; west of Eagle Lake; south of Sauvie Island; north of Pismo Beach
    Fight on~~~...
    Last edited by joe yaks; 07-17-2017 at 04:30 PM.

A lot of successful people in this world(not all of course) are those who have features and sometimes frank disorders that are found in the DSM-5. Not a psychiatrist but Bipolar, ADHD, OCD, Addiction come to the top of my head. Steve Jobs in a different era and place might have been Napolean's nemesis.
    Last edited by burritos; 07-17-2017 at 08:40 AM.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    He is a victim of fake news and the liberal media. He was conducting university approved experiments for the medical school and the psychology department. His research has been invaluable in the understanding of drug therapy and sex addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    He is a victim of fake news and the liberal media. He was conducting university approved experiments for the medical school and the psychology department. His research has been invaluable in the understanding of drug therapy and sex addiction.
    Awaiting the U$C spin....Don't think "hands on" Dean would do it either for the drugs or the prostitute. He vainly tried to fast track the med school to that of UCLA even using meth toward that progress. Efforts derailed in rehab and job loss. Fight on.

Well, the Dean of Cal's Law School was shoved out due to a harassment case. I suspect unsavory behavior knows no bounds or college allegiance.

Besides, my doc is a great guy and he is an SC Med School grad....

Loyal Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    Yep, nothing to see here...right, trojan visitors?

Fight on.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Meth is a helluva drug. Amazing how much money you can raise on it... until your teeth fall out.

It's amazing the mixed reaction I've been seeing to this story.

Some say it shouldn't have been a story. It's his personal struggle, and he wasn't charged with a crime.

Yet he was a prominent person at a major university who supervised a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post

Some say it shouldn't have been a story. It's his personal struggle, and he wasn't charged with a crime.

Yet he was a prominent person at a major university who supervised a lot of people.
    I thought this too, and I mostly agree. But, these activities, which are illegal, also happened on campus. So I think that's when this sad story becomes relevant in the public interest. He's also a representative for that organization. If this had been Travis Kalanick and Uber, it would have been an even bigger story, and no one would feel sorry that Travis' personal struggle was playing out online.
    Last edited by socaliganbear; 07-17-2017 at 05:29 PM.

71Bear - These cases should lead to a revision of the image of major college Deans as dull, sensible guys!

Not just his own personal struggle. He supplied funds to buy drugs for others.

Out here on the perimeter there are no stars Out here we is stoned – immaculate. J. Morrison
    He .."was a renowned eye surgeon whose skill in the operating room was matched by a gift for attracting ....talent to the university........Bottom line, I was dean for almost a decade. It was great, but I was ready and open to jumping on these opportunities when they came along." Indeed.
    Last edited by bearister; 07-17-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    I thought this too, and I mostly agree. But, these activities, which are illegal, also happened on campus. So I think that's when this sad story becomes relevant in the public interest. He's also a representative for that organization. If this had been Travis Kalanick and Uber, it would have been an even bigger story, and no one would feel sorry that Travis' personal struggle was playing out online.
    Aside from being a public figure, the arguable newsworthy aspects of the story are: (i) he's still affiliated with USC, seeing patients as a doctor on their staff; (ii) there apparently was at least some attempt to sweep this under the rug without publicity (i.e., investigators not interviewing the girl who nearly died from an overdose); amd (iii) he seems to have provided drugs to quite a few young people whose lives were made far worse for it; and (iv) the current USC admin certainly took quick action to remove him as dean, but not much else. It seems that the anonymous source in the story is intent on making sure this is all coming out. My guess is the source and others feel taken advantage of in some sense (or perhaps just abandoned).

"He was a key fundraiser for USC, bringing in more than $1 billion in donations, by his estimation."

The End.