Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Best UG B-schools

OT: Best UG B-schools

We really should expand Haas, imo.

http://time.com/money/best-colleges/...siness-majors/

A few notes:
    1) Undergrad b-school rankings can be all over the place and often don't place enough weight on the overall academic prestige of the university.
    2) I've always thought the top 3 in the minds of most employers are Haas, Wharton, and NYU/Stern (which this survey ranked #38).
    3) Business economics majors and other interdisciplinary business-like majors at universities without UG b-schools shouldn't be on this list, since they're not comparable to regular business majors within b-schools. That means UCLA shouldn't be on there. Neither should Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    I don't think the faculty agrees about expanding any professional schools. At least at public universities there is a perception than non-professional departments are being asked to reduce or eliminate funding at the expense of funding expanding B-schools and other professional schools. Though this occurred some time ago, Cal's faculty voted down a medical school because it would taint the academic quality of the University.

BTW, want to kill SC and some other schools, allow Cal to expand Haas, and extend Andersen to undergrads.

BTW I meant Haas for undergrads.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    and extend Andersen to undergrads.
    That's not happening anytime soon. Too big a change and too many stakeholders are against it. Unless someone unexpectedly writes an enormous check, expect Anderson's focus to remain on grad-level programs.

My kid is at Stern and this list made him giggle. Wall Street internships alone make Stern a top three school.

Quote Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
    A few notes:
    1) Undergrad b-school rankings can be all over the place and often don't place enough weight on the overall academic prestige of the university.
    2) I've always thought the top 3 in the minds of most employers are Haas, Wharton, and NYU/Stern (which this survey ranked #38).
    3) Business economics majors and other interdisciplinary business-like majors at universities without UG b-schools shouldn't be on this list, since they're not comparable to regular business majors within b-schools. That means UCLA shouldn't be on there. Neither should Brown.
    I don't know much about the NYU / Stern undergrad program but having attended the graduate program I'll say that it is usually ranked very high in Finance and very low in Marketing and other non-finance specialties. The overall ranking obviously has to come in somewhere in between. #38 sounds pretty low, though like I said, I'm not as familiar with the undergrad program.

Posted just after bearbits - he said it better than me

expand it and raise the tuition, so it becomes a profit center... have an on-line/night school component to lower costs

Furd not on the list?

The ranking is taking into account factors like salary, where Haas does extremely well, and cost, were Haas does extremely well. So a school like Stern where salaries are good, but cost is much higher than Haas, and aid is not particularly better will not do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbits View Post
    My kid is at Stern and this list made him giggle. Wall Street internships alone make Stern a top three school.
    This is a wrong perception. Too many Stern students are desperately stepping over each other for the few elite Wall St. jobs. The vast majority end up at other places in the City (Colgate, Pfizer, etc).

At Goldman and the like, Stern grads were tokens in recruitment versus other regional Ivies.

Quote Originally Posted by socaliganbear View Post
    When did UCLA add Business Econ? And why is Davis on that list? They don't even have Business Econ, let alone Business. Are they calling a straight Econ major Business for the sake of this rankings list?

Never understood why they didn't have a straight Business major or for that matter, why most all of the UC's didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    When did UCLA add Business Econ? And why is Davis on that list? They don't even have Business Econ, let alone Business. Are they calling a straight Econ major Business for the sake of this rankings list?

Never understood why they didn't have a straight Business major or for that matter, why most all of the UC's didn't.
    UCLA's had biz econ for awhile, though I couldn't tell you exactly how long. I and many other UCLA staff think of it as a compromise. There are a bunch of students who really want to attend UCLA but also wish they could offer a more "marketable" major than just plain-vanilla economics. This was UCLA's way of accommodating those demands an easier way than setting up a pure business major at Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Cal's faculty voted down a medical school because it would taint the academic quality of the University.
    Can you expand on this? When did this vote occur?