Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: SAHPC Construction Progress

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBear68 View Post
    I heard that the underground lot was axed as a concession to the City of Berkeley so they wouldn't participate in future obstructionist litigation regarding the stadium. Am I wrong on this?
    you are correct. for some reason parking is the #1 concern of the city of berkeley. and i'm not joking. i could probably build a shrine to george bush in berkeley before i could a major parking lot.

The "pit" is the complete building, no parking. The footprint is close to 60,000 sq.ft, and the building will be two floors below grade, except at the south end, where the bulding will come out of the ground 1 and then 2 floors as it follows the slope up to the Prospect end of the stadium near I-House.

The pit will be 40' deep in some areas. The soil is being removed and taken directly to another site by the contractor who has another job where the fill was needed.
    Last edited by DrDanger; 04-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Today's Pics

So I wandered over today and took a few snaps.Mostly for the people who did not attend the scrimmage or never made it up to take a look.
    I'll tell you what-the place is tore-up.Tore-up bigtime.The south end dig is coming along.They were applying shot-crete this morning.That dig is about 10 ft deep.The old ticket booths
    are gone.They are starting to dig a big boy at about the north 40yd line.You can see the CAT starting to tear it up.He's about 5ft down already.The huge backhoe is having fun digging away.I watched him for about five minutes.He is getting serious.The big "drill" is almost at the North Tunnel.It appears that they will have the remaining I-bars in by Friday-you can seem them stacked nearby.
    It's nice to see.The place is alive with activity and noisy.Noise is good.
    Inside the stadium there are about 20 pallets of lumber to replace some of the splintery bleachers-just like last year.Near the south scoreboard they are doing some digging on the outside and marking under the bleachers on the inside.They weren't too talkative this morning.Maybe electrical ?
    There is 5 pics in this post.I'll send more in another post.
    Enoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics TheOldToe. Nice to see it begin to be a reality. Can anyone go in and take pics? It will be nice to see this develop

I just walked in this morning.The place was wide open on the eastside.
    Lots of students running the steps.Haven't grown a big enough set to buy a white hard hat and green vest and just waltz right into the dig to fire off some pics..although have thought about it.In my younger days I sure would have.
    Stadium access seems to be no problem.No practice means no Tedford police.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldToe View Post
    I just walked in this morning.The place was wide open on the eastside.
    Lots of students running the steps.Haven't grown a big enough set to buy a white hard hat and green vest and just waltz right into the dig to fire off some pics..although have thought about it.In my younger days I sure would have.
    Stadium access seems to be no problem.No practice means no Tedford police.
    True. Walked in the other day and kicked field goals with my friends.

Thanks for the pics, keep em coming. I expect to see a lot of progress during the summer session.

Thanks to everyone

Just caught up on the posts, including the pics. Thanks to everyone for your contributions which allow someone like myself to stay involved. I love reading about and viewing the changes that are occurring--and have so since the beginning. Go Bears

No Pics Today-Just Notes

I went by the stadium today,on a "pilgrimage" to Oscar's.Sorry,I didn't take any pictures.The whole area looks like a construction site...DUH !

Roaring Oski is missing in action.It appeared that they were digging up the base or modifying it.Hope the furds didn't steal him.Never saw it.The southside dig is twice as deep as it was 2wks ago.There was a CAT in there this am digging deeper.The whole area in general looks more excavated.

The new wood seat benches are being installed in the Blue Zone.Same as last year-not all of them-just the most rotten-why don't they replace them all ?The area around the south scoreboard in missing the seats etc.,in preparation for some support work.Just walking across the bleachers I couldn't help but think,this place is a dump.Hopefully after the donors get their new seats,the rest of the place can get the metal benches and a major spiff-up. Hope that is the plan.

Next week I'll take some pics and post them.

This may sound odd, but I hope they retain a bit of Memorial's dumpiness. The old place looks and feels like a college stadium, and I hope we never lose that ethos.

Agreed!
    When the place is packed it's just like fenway park or wrigley field, old but perfect.
    Obviously need the proposed improvements, the best part about a new stadium will be the field being lower so all seats have great sightlines and a packed stadium to support the Bears. Don't need many bells and whistles inside a stadium to watch and enjoy a football game. A bench seat old or new, the band/students and the Bears leaving it all on the field, that's all I need.
    Last edited by GoldenBear1; 05-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Agree with TedfordBears.I love the place.I could go on for hours,but too many rootbeers.Maybe later.

Quote Originally Posted by FremontBear View Post
    This may sound odd, but I hope they retain a bit of Memorial's dumpiness. The old place looks and feels like a college stadium, and I hope we never lose that ethos.
    Agreed.. I finally made it to an ND game last season and although their stadium is AWESOME, it's just way too new looking for such an old and venerated program.

some actual progess

before when i would look at the stadium from haas i wasn't able to really see any significant changes but now as i stand at the top of cronk gate at haas i can actually seem the beginning of the inner walls. The pit is actually starting to take form!!! the workers in there allow me to gain some perspective and the pit looks about 10 ft deep. pretty exciting. they have huge dump trucks going in and out all day long taking dirt away from the area.... every time i see the worksite empty i wish of a way we would just have guys working there 24hrs to get it done sooner : /
    Last edited by bizbear09; 05-17-2009 at 12:52 AM.