Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 271

Thread: SAHPC Construction Progress

  1. #76
    True Blue Golden Bear FiatSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    city named for a Bishop of Cloyne
    Posts
    7,996

    Please elaborate...

    Quote Originally Posted by jankoski View Post
    There's better pics from the Construction Insider via Calfan's OP. I'm a little surprised that the walls of the SAHPC against Memorial Stadium haven't been poured, yet, while they're preparing the 2nd floor pour on the far south-side (photo 102).
    I'm not a structural engineer, but it seems to me that what you're seeing in Photo 102 is a surface to walk on, nothing more.

    ***************

    I talked to a structural engineers and asked him to comment on the photos. He agreed with me that the rebar on the left hand side of Photo 102 is for the wall next to (but separate from) the Stadium. He also said that based on other photos (see Photo 84, for instance), it's certain that the wall for the first floor was poured all the way around the perimeter. That would include the wall adjacent to (but separaate from) the Stadium.

  2. #77
    Loyal Bear jankoski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDempster View Post
    I'm not a structural engineer, but it seems to me that what you're seeing in Photo 102 is a surface to walk on, nothing more.

    ***************

    I talked to a structural engineers and asked him to comment on the photos. He agreed with me that the rebar on the left hand side of Photo 102 is for the wall next to (but separate from) the Stadium. He also said that based on other photos (see Photo 84, for instance), it's certain that the wall for the first floor was poured all the way around the perimeter. That would include the wall adjacent to (but separaate from) the Stadium.
    I'm a molecular biologist, so who am I to debate an engineer? I do know they poured a retaining wall around the site, but Pic 97 shows naked rebar to the ground floor of the SAHPC. I believe that rebar represents the walls of the SAHPC against Memorial. In addition, the rebar hasn't been placed at the last ramp into the site near the International house.

    On your question about the walkways, I did watch the building of the parking garage at the PH Bart Station where they used the same technique of scaffoling and wood to pour cement for the levels above the ground level. I was at the site, today, and that's exactly what they're doing. The entire scaffolding area in pic 102 is covered with wood, and they are placing rebar onto it. I promise to furnish pics next thursday, when I'll be on campus, again.

  3. #78
    thanks for the pictures jankowski. Great stuff.
    Layman's thoughts:
    Assume but hope these are all Union jobs.
    Loved the CAL logo on safety vests...are those on Univ employees? Or just coincidence??
    Anyone know if a video documentary is being made of this WHOLE process (yes, including our friendly treesitters)? IMO, it would make a great 2 hr. show for now and in the years to come.
    Just by the amount of rebar visible (is this normal these days??) the place looks to be virtually bomb-proof, much less quake resistant!
    Thanks again and Go BEARS!!

  4. #79
    Loyal Bear jankoski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    3,127
    New pics of the SAHPC construction site on this foggy day! The proof is in the pudding, Mr. Dempster...



    The construction is obviously moving forward at light speed, as the 2nd level was poured near the I-house during the week.







    The following pic is looking back at the 2nd floor from the north-side of the Press box. It also shows the first floor is now complete.



    There were multiple crews working on installing rebar.



    There's one of the cameras that will never be used for our viewing pleasure.





    Of course, this is a blind inference, but I believe the next pics show of a sloped meeting/lecture room. The flat wet area, clearly seen in the 2nd and 3rd pic, is the bottom of the room, and steps are visible in both pics, too. I could see Tedford laying out the plans to his teams for the Rose Bowl.







    More scaffoling was being built for the 2nd floor on the north-side. The red arm is pouring cement for a wall.






  5. #80
    True Blue Golden Bear Cal_Fan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Bay, Ca...
    Posts
    15,848
    thanks for the new pics Jankoski....what a beautiful site....

  6. #81
    so true....

  7. #82
    Wow, awesome. Does anyone know if construction is on schedule?

  8. #83
    True Blue Golden Bear Cal_Fan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Bay, Ca...
    Posts
    15,848
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTopOneChickenApple View Post
    Wow, awesome. Does anyone know if construction is on schedule?
    I believe in Okanes chat with Sandy B. yesterday she said that everything is on schedule....

  9. #84
    Real Bear RoseBowlOski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    El Dorado Hills, Ca
    Posts
    656
    Beautiful pictures... sure is exciting, just hope the woman's restrooms are coming along this nicely... would sure make my wife happy when attending games with me..

    Go Bears

  10. #85
    thanks jankoski for the updated pics. to physically see the SAHPC going up. the recruits know it will be ready by the time they get to cal. go bears!!!
    Last edited by LodeBear; 03-09-2010 at 07:48 PM.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottski51 View Post
    thanks for the pictures jankowski. Great stuff.
    Layman's thoughts:
    Assume but hope these are all Union jobs.
    Loved the CAL logo on safety vests...are those on Univ employees? Or just coincidence??
    Anyone know if a video documentary is being made of this WHOLE process (yes, including our friendly treesitters)? IMO, it would make a great 2 hr. show for now and in the years to come.
    Just by the amount of rebar visible (is this normal these days??) the place looks to be virtually bomb-proof, much less quake resistant!
    Thanks again and Go BEARS!!
    ???? Why ???? Does that matter? Anyway you look at it, it's creating jobs!

  12. #87
    no bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    21,630
    he wants it to go overbudget?

  13. #88
    Loyal Bear barabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Puerto Plata, DR
    Posts
    2,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottski51 View Post
    Assume but hope these are all Union jobs.
    Why? You like be blackmailed while paying retail plus 40%!

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by barabbas View Post
    Why? You like be blackmailed while paying retail plus 40%!
    No but I would want to make sure that the employees are paid a fair wage and that everything is up to code.

    Maybe you would prefer it if the contractors building the the SAHPC pick up their workers on the street corner's across from Truitt and White in West Berkeley. Pay them next to nothing and provide no OSHA protections.

    Hey to save even more money maybe we could follow the building procedures common in certain foreign countries which ignore earthquake precautions.

    Unions -- the people who brought you the Weekend.

  15. #90
    Loyal Bear jankoski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    3,127
    The fact is that there are companies on the project with Spanish-speaking workers. Care to wager that they are not American citizens? At any rate, Obama only cares about bringing down our Capitalist System, not securing our borders, so this argument is ridiculous at least for the next 3 years. Back to the topic of this thread!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •