Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we have shut off the Tebow/Religion thread?

Should we have shut off the Tebow/Religion thread?

We have our policies - and will stick by them. All the posts made here that criticize or praise religion - and religious practices - are, according to current board policy - off limits.

The Tebow/Religion threads below, however, quickly became a VERY mixed bag - with some posts being off limits, many of them perfectly OK.

To be candid, the thread got away from us - we did not respond to this as quickly as might have been useful.

But having not done so gives us the opportunity to ask for your opinions about limiting these kinds of off-topic posts. Do you agree with our policy of banning (or moving) these? Or do you think we should allow more latitude?

The singular motivation for our exclusion of inflammatory topics - like religion and politics - is that our fundamental purpose here is to build community and support for Cal Athletics - and therefore to not let divisive topics get in the way of that goal.

Once a reader here sees poster XYZ as being a member of the idiot right - or the idiot left - that reader's ability to share common goals re Cal sports gets diminished. As we have so often said over the 12 years of our online existence - "It takes all kinds of Cal fans to fill Memorial Stadium" - and we must welcome them all.

Re the poll I am posting here, I again must be clear that your opinions may not change our policies, but I can say that we will take your responses seriously when we next review board policies.

(Note: this poll is ONLY about potentially inflammatory topics - it is NOT about other kinds of posts we continue to prohibit - like racism, spam, personal attacks, repetitive negativity, and excessive vulgarity).

Please see the poll in another thread.
    Last edited by GreyBear; 03-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.

I think it belongs in the OT forum, as it does not pertain to Cal football. But I don't think it should be deleted at all.

During the season - yes. In the offseason - no, if you have the time to monitor it and maybe it would be best to come in with a "I'm going to let this go for now but if any of y'all get out of hand this thread is coming down." post.

There were some uncomfortable and rude things on the thread, but I don't think it got too bad. And there were some interesting things in there as well.

That said, its a football board. If you don't want to risk it, I'd understand.

Moved to OT.

I tried to post a poll - it failed - I'll get one up in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BerkeleyChris View Post
    I think it belongs in the OT forum, as it does not pertain to Cal football. But I don't think it should be deleted at all.
    And I think it should be moved early on, so that it less of a distraction. It has nothing to do with why we come together here, but for those that relish such bickering, the OT Forum is a perfect place to visit regularly. And agreed, it should not be deleted, just moved in the very early stages. go Bears

I say kill it. It has reached the back and forth level of discourse often found in a late night freshman dorm room...virtually everything that can be said has been said, much of it inarticulately, and pretty much nobody has changed their opinion.

Actually that thread was pretty mild compared to past threads as the OP was really pointing his finger at Tebow as opposed to religion per se, though some others did just that....I am of the opinion that any political or religious thread should probably be moved as soon as possible if starts to become a hate filled diatribe of vitriol .....feelings get hurt or posters who are otherwise great Cal fans end up disliking other posters.... Most of us are united in the cause of Cal Football and Cal Sports... we should keep it that way....

Thanks and God Bless !!!!......

Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    During the season - yes. In the offseason - no, if you have the time to monitor it and maybe it would be best to come in with a "I'm going to let this go for now but if any of y'all get out of hand this thread is coming down." post.

There were some uncomfortable and rude things on the thread, but I don't think it got too bad. And there were some interesting things in there as well.

I agree with OTB. Some of these discussions are fun in their own ridiculous way during the offseason.

Edit: I like that you ask. You're the mods so you get set the rules, but I do like that you ask.

Fling it to OT -- that usually has the effect of mostly shutting down the discussion except for those who really want to continue, but it doesn't cut off the debate entirely.

I really found it somewhat entertaining, except when it occasionally got into the personal attack front, which fortunately, it didn't too much. I think some of the more experienced posters knew they were skirting on a thread-killing post.

The original post was about somebody supposedly asking a group of strangers to join him in prayer before the NFL intelligence test. Was it appropriate? There was certainly disagreement and I'm glad we live somewhere where we can discuss this topic without being slaughtered --- I mean, actually, slaughtered, not subject to harsh words on an Internet site.

Religious arguments can never be won -- or lost, IMHO. I thought that most of the discourse was fine. Some of it was fun. I got in a few quick shots, which meant nothing, but I felt right at home in the discussion.

Go Bears !!!
    Nice guys finish lunch.
    ... Douglas Kenney (1947-1980)

I actually have a slightly different take in that I do think politics and religion relate to Cal football. All too often I think those outside of Northern California tend to still view Berkeley as Berzerkly and Cal as inhabited by nothing but radicals and hippies. What the occasional political and religious threads here show is reality: while many here are liberals, there are actually people who went or go to Cal who have relatively conservative values and beliefs.

I think this relates to football because not all athletes are liberals. And some of them who share the stereotypical view of Cal, Berkeley, and the Bay Area might be encouraged to see that there is actually some diversity of beliefs out here after all. I think this will be even more relevant as our national recruiting efforts continue to grow. Anyways, that's just my take.
    Last edited by OldBlue1999; 03-26-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: went and/or go? Yeah, that made sense.

Got to agree with OTB here

During the football season, even up to LOI Day, a thread like the Tebow thread is subject to instant relocation or deletion at the discretion of BearInsider staff.

In the off-season (when traffic is way down), not nearly so much, but a case can still be made that it ought to be moved.

If most of the posts in the Tebow thread hadn't been so inchoate in composition and thought, it might have been more interesting. Then again, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post

I agree. I don't mind it during the offseason, as long as it doesn't get too wild.

But perhaps I don't care because I grew up in a Catholic/Jewish/Muslim/Atheist/Agnostic/Buddhist environment.

I only really get offended by politics and burrito threads.

What's fun about this topic, is that Chris Martin is a God-fearing individual. Yet, if we took a pole and combined a) people's political view, b) people's religious view, c) people's thoughts on Chris Martin's faith, d) their view on Chris Martin the football player, we'd find that the first 3 don't have any influence on Cal football fans who collectively share a serious man love or love (you're welcome ladies) towards Chris Martin. That's why I think these OT threads should be placed into the appropriate forum. The appropriate forum is for the Mods to determine, since this is their job. I've never taken a poll of my lab workers to see how I should organize our database. That's my job. A false sense of democracy is rather foolish in my opinion. This forum is one example of the internet being far from real life. I guarantee Negabears are cool people in person.