Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top "triple threat" school?

Top "triple threat" school?

Saw the thread on the basketball board about our baseball team being #30 right now (after big wins over AZ and Fraud). We now have top programs in all 3 of the "major" sports: football (yet ANOTHER winning season and bowl game appearance), basketball (back-to-back tourney appearances), baseball (on a real roll right now).

Not sure if we are the top triple-threat athletic program right now, but if we aren't we're pretty close. Football didn't quite live up to last year's expectations, but I'd say we're in a great spot to win the Pac10 this upcoming season.

You're joking, right? We're not even close. None of our "Big 3" programs are championship-level. If you think having a winning record makes you a "triple threat", then how about UCLA, Texas, Florida, LSU, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, ASU... I could go on and on.

We won the Pac 10 in hoops and that's a nice accomplishment but don't lose your mind. Our football program is currently in the middle of the conference, our basketball team is likely losing the entire starting lineup, and our baseball team hasn't done much in years.

LafayetteBear
    Cal 97 is right on this one. Cal is way back in the pack if you are looking at football, basketball and baseball combined. I'd put Texas at the top. (UT football speaks for itself, pretty decent in basketball, and more baseball championships than anyone - by far.) Florida, with its success in both football and basketball, has to be there, too, although I don't know if the Gators are any good in baseball. SC has been pretty good in football and baseball, but not basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
    Cal 97 is right on this one. Cal is way back in the pack if you are looking at football, basketball and baseball combined. I'd put Texas at the top. (UT football speaks for itself, pretty decent in basketball, and more baseball championships than anyone - by far.) Florida, with its success in both football and basketball, has to be there, too, although I don't know if the Gators are any good in baseball. SC has been pretty good in football and baseball, but not basketball.
    Texas immediately popped into my head. Texas is probably the best all-around collegiate sports program in the country - they are tops in track, swimming, water polo, football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc

Uh, no non-california school has ever made even the championship game in Water Polo. And Texas is not in the top 50 (not even sure if they have a team). Let's not exaggerate quite so much.

I'm not looking it up, but I have to believe that USC has more baseball championships.

Quote Originally Posted by cal97 View Post
    You're joking, right? We're not even close. None of our "Big 3" programs are championship-level. If you think having a winning record makes you a "triple threat", then how about UCLA, Texas, Florida, LSU, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, ASU... I could go on and on.

We won the Pac 10 in hoops and that's a nice accomplishment but don't lose your mind. Our football program is currently in the middle of the conference, our basketball team is likely losing the entire starting lineup, and our baseball team hasn't done much in years.
    I didn't say we were necessarily THE top triple-threat, but that we were up there. Some of the schools on your list didn't even make the bball tourney this year. I would say we are probably the top in the Pac10 (UW is the only team to make the tourney, I think we are better in baseball, and have been better in football). ASU and AZ didn't even make the tourney in hoops.

Texas lost to a BAD wake forest in the tourney this year in the first round; we made it past the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthBayPhenom View Post
    I didn't say we were necessarily THE top triple-threat, but that we were up there. Some of the schools on your list didn't even make the bball tourney this year. I would say we are probably the top in the Pac10 (UW is the only team to make the tourney, I think we are better in baseball, and have been better in football). ASU and AZ didn't even make the tourney in hoops.
    Ok, you win. 8-5 with a bunch of blowout losses and a loss in a no name bowl game, a second round NCAA tournament appearance, and a baseball team that is unlikely to make the postseason (hope I'm wrong about that) makes us a top "triple threat" school. How could I have missed that?

Quote Originally Posted by cal97 View Post
    Ok, you win. 8-5 with a bunch of blowout losses and a loss in a no name bowl game, a second round NCAA tournament appearance, and a baseball team that is unlikely to make the postseason (hope I'm wrong about that) makes us a top "triple threat" school. How could I have missed that?
    I'm glad you see it my way.

But seriously: as I stated, we underachieved in fball this last season; I don't think anyone on here feels we are a middle of the conference fball team - rather, I think most of us know we are around #2, and are in best position to take over USC's spot as they seem to be floundering badly right now.

And I'm not even bringing up women's hoops (national champs), rugby (don't even need to explain this one), or men's swimming (#2 I believe this season).

LafayetteBear
    Quote Originally Posted by buster99 View Post
    I'm not looking it up, but I have to believe that USC has more baseball championships.
    Buster: After your post, above, I decided to go back and look it up for myself. (I had been relying on a statement from a UT friend, normally a reliable guy, that UT had won the most.) It turns out you are correct. SC has won 12 championships and UT is in second place with six championships. Cal has won two (1947 and 1957, more ancient history).

LafayetteBear
    [QUOTE=SouthBayPhenom;314860]I'm glad you see it my way.

But seriously: as I stated, we underachieved in fball this last season; I don't think anyone on here feels we are a middle of the conference fball team - rather, I think most of us know we are around #2, and are in best position to take over USC's spot as they seem to be floundering badly right now.

And I'm not even bringing up women's hoops (national champs), rugby (don't even need to explain this one), or men's swimming (#2 I believe this season).[/QUOTE]

And Texas was national champion this year. Just sayin'

[QUOTE=LafayetteBear;314867]
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthBayPhenom View Post
    I'm glad you see it my way.

And I'm not even bringing up women's hoops (national champs), rugby (don't even need to explain this one), or men's swimming (#2 I believe this season).[/QUOTE]

And Texas was national champion this year. Just sayin'
    yes, but their women's hoops weren't national champs, and I don't even know if they have a rugby team

but, that was just a side comment; they didn't even make it out of the 1st round in men's hoops this year, whereas we did

guys, I know you're pushing back on me here (and I understand we may not be the top triple-threat), but how many programs:

- have multiple winning seasons + multiple bowl appearances?
    AND
    - have made it to the tourney 2 yrs running?
    AND
    - are ranked in the top 30 in baseball?

I bet there's only a couple, and we're the only one of the Pac10 - thus, we are for sure the top triple threat in the Pac10, so we are likely in the top 5 in overall athletics programs

There are many ways of parsing this idea, or course, but here's one of the more interesting ones. How many schools would you figure have actual national championships in all three sports (not counting things like the NIT- which are strictly consolation ). I did a quick and dirty look on Hickock sports and found only these:

Michigan
    Stanford
    Cal
    Minnesotta

Lots of places have championships in two - SC has a fistfull in fb and baseball, Az has baseball and basketball, lsu has baseball and football, Okie State has baseball and basketball... even Holy Cross has baseball and basketball. All three is apparently pretty hard.