Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: Cal recruiting 2010 SG Ben Brust

  1. #16
    The only thing I've seen regarding Bak said he would be on the team next season.

    If we're looking at a guard, it ought to be a PG imo, not another SG.

  2. #17
    Yup, a pg that could start from day 1 and move Jorge to the 2 and Crabbe to the 3 is our highest priority right now, IMO.

  3. #18
    True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
    Posts
    22,651
    Now that Williams is off the list, anyone have any idea who we're targeting as a turn-key PG?

  4. #19

    Another PM...

    Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    Yup, a pg that could start from day 1 and move Jorge to the 2 and Crabbe to the 3 is our highest priority right now, IMO.
    The second coming of Prentice McGruder would fit the bill, indeed.

    If players were trees, perhaps we could graft Brandon Smith's arm to Gary Franklin and have a true point guard!

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    The second coming of Prentice McGruder would fit the bill, indeed.

    If players were trees, perhaps we could graft Brandon Smith's arm to Gary Franklin and have a true point guard!
    Three arms? I thought they only did that for an advantage in ski-boxing?


  6. #21
    Brust put-up some impressive numbers. However, he's not a tall post, with bulk and strength to score, defend and rebound. Neither is Brust a magician PG, who can score from the perimeter. With Rossi, Franklin and Crabbe entering this Fall, I say pass on Brust.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    Brust put-up some impressive numbers. However, he's not a tall post, with bulk and strength to score, defend and rebound. Neither is Brust a magician PG, who can score from the perimeter. With Rossi, Franklin and Crabbe entering this Fall, I say pass on Brust.
    Scouting reports say Brust can score. He's also an elite shooter with deep range. The question is whether or not he can play the point. If he can, I'd take him. I've never seen the kid play, so I can't answer that question. Maybe he can be the next Jimmer Fredette, who a lot of scouts projected at the 2 as well coming out of HS.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    Brust put-up some impressive numbers. However, he's not a tall post, with bulk and strength to score, defend and rebound. Neither is Brust a magician PG, who can score from the perimeter. With Rossi, Franklin and Crabbe entering this Fall, I say pass on Brust.
    Agreed, we already have a number of players at the position he plays, including three freshmen. We should save the scholie for an impact player at another position.

  9. #24
    Loyal Bear oskihasahearton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
    Posts
    4,239
    Maybe Coach Monty is going to install the "40-minutes of Hell" style of Missou's Coach Anderson---soon to be a Duck. The "40_" utilizes 3 guards.
    "You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Scouting reports say Brust can score. He's also an elite shooter with deep range. The question is whether or not he can play the point. If he can, I'd take him. I've never seen the kid play, so I can't answer that question. Maybe he can be the next Jimmer Fredette, who a lot of scouts projected at the 2 as well coming out of HS.
    Video on him suggests he is less of a point guard than Franklin but can play some point. The offer and home visit to me suggests Monty is comfortable with Franklin, Jorge, and Smith for next year at the point. While I wonder about this I also wonder what Brust can do that doesn't duplicate the skills of Franklin, Rossi, and Crabbe. This seems to be a strange offer all the way around....

  11. #26
    If he's truly an elite player take him and worry about redundancy later.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Video on him suggests he is less of a point guard than Franklin but can play some point. The offer and home visit to me suggests Monty is comfortable with Franklin, Jorge, and Smith for next year at the point. While I wonder about this I also wonder what Brust can do that doesn't duplicate the skills of Franklin, Rossi, and Crabbe. This seems to be a strange offer all the way around....
    You can't tell stuff like that off a highlight video, but I don't think Franklin is much of a point from seeing him live on numerous occasions. Can't comment on Brust since I haven't seen him, but Monty obviously feels he can help.

  13. #28
    Honestly, I don't think it says anything other than Monty sees the guy as another quality player we can bring in this year. I think in the college game, especially for a team like Cal, especially for a team like Cal in a year where the roster is missing bodies, you bring in quality players and let the coaches assign the roles. To me the question is whether we can bring in a better player with the last schollie next season and, if so, would that player be better enough to offset the need right now.

    Given the fact that we don't have any scoring coming back and, in fact, its dubious that we have anyone that will ever develop into a really good scorer even over their career (I think Jorge can be pretty good, maybe Kamp too, but none really very good), bringing in four guys with the descriptions we've seen of Rossie, Crabbe, and Franklin doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. It would be nice to get some inside scoring, but you have to take what you can get.

  14. #29

  15. #30
    OK. He made a couple of Randl-esque threes there.
    Hustling, scrappy guard. Looks definitely like a Monty type of guy.
    If he played for Stanford, we'd all hate him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •