Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64

Thread: Emerson Murray

  1. #31
    Loyal Bear oskihasahearton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
    Posts
    4,176
    "Oh, Canada", PG Murray---Is this a done deal?
    "You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

  2. #32

    Basketball Why a verbal and not a NLI?

    We're in the signing period, correct?

    I watched all the videos. He's clearly a good run/jump athlete with some nice lateral explosiveness at least on offense. The form on his jumper doesn't look bad but I'd guess he's not yet a consistent deep shooter. That's based only on how full body his jump shooting motion is in the video. It's not the simpler motion that most great shooters have.

    His offense game looks a little loose. His handle was spotty to my eye. He lets the ball get a little high and a little wide and doesn't seem to use his body much to screen his defender. Definitely better than most HS shooting guards but not high major PG handle. There's not the economy or simplicity to his offense game that you see in the more mature elite prep guards. A bit too much wasted motion.

    Given the above, I'm not shocked he wasn't sporting a ton of offers (especially if he was hurt his senior year in HS). That said, Murray looks like he has a lot of potential. As he matures, plays and practices against better competition and gets coached up, he may well blossom into a star player.

    My only wish is that he'd be more of a pure PG. Super tight handle, floor leader mentality, etc. Brandon Smith's brain and skills into Murray's body would be the ideal fit.

  3. #33

    to your point

    Quote Originally Posted by GregRichardson View Post
    My only wish is that he'd be more of a pure PG. Super tight handle...
    His head is not up in some of the clips, but could be because he hadn't fully gained control of the ball (probably one of the reasons you noted he doesn't have a tight handle).

    Again, it' hard to say much about a player from a couple videos, besides his hops, and general athleticism. The limited stats available suggest he is at least a solid 3 point shooter on the HS level (e.g. shooting 4-6 from behind the arc in one game), and the fact that some who have seen him in person have high praise.

    All that together and that Monty wants him suggests there is enough 'there' 'there'.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by GregRichardson View Post

    His offense game looks a little loose. His handle was spotty to my eye. He lets the ball get a little high and a little wide and doesn't seem to use his body much to screen his defender. Definitely better than most HS shooting guards but not high major PG handle. There's not the economy or simplicity to his offense game that you see in the more mature elite prep guards. A bit too much wasted motion.

    Given the above, I'm not shocked he wasn't sporting a ton of offers (especially if he was hurt his senior year in HS). That said, Murray looks like he has a lot of potential. As he matures, plays and practices against better competition and gets coached up, he may well blossom into a star player.

    My only wish is that he'd be more of a pure PG. Super tight handle, floor leader mentality, etc. Brandon Smith's brain and skills into Murray's body would be the ideal fit.
    I don't think we can conclude too much from these videos but even in those his handle looks clearly superior to Franklin's and, yes, could very quickly be a high major PG handle. Given that and his combination of hops, size, and ability to change gears on the drive, I am very surprised he didn't receive a lot more offers. His offensive game is probably a little "loose" but the key is that he looks like he can score off the dribble and spotting up with a real jump shot.

    Otherwise how is it possible to tell from these highlights if he has or doesn't have a floor leader's mentality like Smith? Almost all the write ups on him I've read say he does.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by CalRanger View Post
    His head is not up in some of the clips, but could be because he hadn't fully gained control of the ball (probably one of the reasons you noted he doesn't have a tight handle).

    Again, it' hard to say much about a player from a couple videos, besides his hops, and general athleticism. The limited stats available suggest he is at least a solid 3 point shooter on the HS level (e.g. shooting 4-6 from behind the arc in one game), and the fact that some who have seen him in person have high praise.

    All that together and that Monty wants him suggests there is enough 'there' 'there'.
    Here's a slo-mo clip showing his handle and a nice crossover:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUNac7Ep7QY

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by GregRichardson View Post
    We're in the signing period, correct?

    I watched all the videos. He's clearly a good run/jump athlete with some nice lateral explosiveness at least on offense. The form on his jumper doesn't look bad but I'd guess he's not yet a consistent deep shooter. That's based only on how full body his jump shooting motion is in the video. It's not the simpler motion that most great shooters have.

    His offense game looks a little loose. His handle was spotty to my eye. He lets the ball get a little high and a little wide and doesn't seem to use his body much to screen his defender. Definitely better than most HS shooting guards but not high major PG handle. There's not the economy or simplicity to his offense game that you see in the more mature elite prep guards. A bit too much wasted motion.

    Given the above, I'm not shocked he wasn't sporting a ton of offers (especially if he was hurt his senior year in HS). That said, Murray looks like he has a lot of potential. As he matures, plays and practices against better competition and gets coached up, he may well blossom into a star player.

    My only wish is that he'd be more of a pure PG. Super tight handle, floor leader mentality, etc. Brandon Smith's brain and skills into Murray's body would be the ideal fit.
    Not saying you're wrong about Murray (you might even be right, we'll find out soon enough), but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable scouting him off of a few highlight videos. But I do agree that he doesn't appear to be "real polished" like some of the elite prospects (Top 25 type guys) are. And I agree about the wasted motion part. I watched Jrue Holiday play in HS, and part of what made him special was the lack of wasted motion in his game. That is something that Murray can eliminate, however. But what he does have going for him are his physical tools, which is half the battle, IMO.

  7. #37

    Effort

    The thing that I like the most about Murray is the effort it looks like he is willing to put in. He fights for rebounds, and doesn't seem to quit. While we shouldn't expect him to be a big rebounder next year, if his effort is indicitive of his game and his effort in practice, Monty should be able to coach him up fairly easily.

    Solid get.

  8. #38

    agree

    Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong about Murray (you might even be right, we'll find out soon enough), but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable scouting him off of a few highlight videos. But I do agree that he doesn't appear to be "real polished" like some of the elite prospects (Top 25 type guys) are. And I agree about the wasted motion part. I watched Jrue Holiday play in HS, and part of what made him special was the lack of wasted motion in his game. That is something that Murray can eliminate, however. But what he does have going for him are his physical tools, which is half the battle, IMO.
    I think everyone is saying about the same thing. Regarding his ankle breaking killer cross over. I had said in a different string that I liked his cross over drive. I think that was Patrick's biggest weakness (that he couldn't drive left), and it looks like Murray's cross over is already better than PC's. But the best cross overs are when a player can just hit it and go, not shake and bake and take his man by getting him to go the wrong direction or getting him off balance. The shake and bake can be effective, but the other is deadly.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonbear View Post
    The thing that I like the most about Murray is the effort it looks like he is willing to put in. He fights for rebounds, and doesn't seem to quit. While we shouldn't expect him to be a big rebounder next year, if his effort is indicitive of his game and his effort in practice, Monty should be able to coach him up fairly easily.

    Solid get.
    I think it's a great get. I noticed the effort too and his willingness to attack the basket, often with a quick change of pace. That's going to be hard for people to defend at his size, especially if he can finish as well as it seems.

  10. #40
    Here is an article talking about his injury last summer.

  11. #41

    2010 tournament stats

    his team won the crown and he was tourney mvp
    not sure the level of competition

    one game he shot really well
    championship game he had 8 assts to 1 TO


    http://www.kss.sd23.bc.ca/sports/bb/...n/results.html

  12. #42
    A skilled, scoring PG with good size and terrific athleticism is what the doctor ordered. Emerson is a great addition as a combo guard.

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
    A skilled, scoring PG with good size and terrific athleticism is what the doctor ordered. Emerson is a great addition as a combo guard.
    Welcome Emerson!

  14. #44

    UCLA's comment

    Gutierrez and Seeley are their only serviceable guards next year. Franklin, Crabbe, and now Murray have plenty of playing time to compete for. They really needed guards. Monty must have sold him on the available playing.

    I don't know how good this is going to be, but it is never cool to loose a basketball recruit to Cal

  15. #45

    2010 recruits help with Murray?

    Would Monty be permitted to have, and did he have, 2010 recruits Crabbe, Solomon, Franklin at Cal during Murray's visit to help close the deal? Rossi may be too far away, or did he visit with Brust, and maybe the same weekend?

    In general, is Cal permitted to have the 2010 committed recruits on campus to help with recruiting 2010 and 2011 prospects?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •