Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silver lining in Amoke's departure

Quote Originally Posted by jyamada View Post
    I hope you and Josh are right but I just don't think Monty likes Max enough as a real basketball player to play him that much. My impression is Monty sees Max as more of a novelty than someone who can help the team on a consistent basis.
    Max will have to improve to warrant the minutes and not compel Montgomery to go with a small lineup. Hopefully he shows up in the fall weighing 260lb and with improved confidence. The best case scenario for the 4 and 5 is that Max is improved enough to warrant 25-30 minutes per game, MSF loses weight and can stay on the court for 25-30 minutes himself, and that Kamp is healthy enough to fill in the remaining 20-30 minutes at the 4 or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbalt View Post
    Max will have to improve to warrant the minutes and not compel Montgomery to go with a small lineup. Hopefully he shows up in the fall weighing 260lb and with improved confidence. The best case scenario for the 4 and 5 is that Max is improved enough to warrant 25-30 minutes per game, MSF loses weight and can stay on the court for 25-30 minutes himself, and that Kamp is healthy enough to fill in the remaining 20-30 minutes at the 4 or 5.
    Best case? What about Bak adds 40 lbs, Max develops a killer drop step and an unstoppable sky hook.....

Quote Originally Posted by joshbalt View Post

Whose job is it to improve Max?

Max should have played more this year which would have made him even better for next year. Since he didn't, my impression is Monty isn't too high on Max. I hope I'm wrong but we'll see how Max is handled next year.

Max should have played more this year which would have made him even better for next year. Since he didn't, my impression is Monty isn't too high on Max. I hope I'm wrong but we'll see how Max is handled next year.
    It is the job of both Max and the coaching staff and in the opinion of most it was done well given his improvement. I expect that Max will again improve though it will be in the context of a very different team.

I agree that Max could have played more last season but one has to acknowledge that he had certain shortcomings that made him either vulnerable or just less useful in certain games.

Monty's job is to win. If winning means developing Max via playing time, then he needs to do that. If winning means riding the seniors and a few role players not named Max, then he needs to do that. Considering that we won the conference last year, I have no problem with the playing time he gave anyone.

no bear

Wow....very well said!
    Last edited by Blueblood; 05-05-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Silver lining in Amoke's departure...
    Students won't have to lock their dorm rooms as much?

Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by operbear View Post
    Sorry to have to bring this up, but, as Cal grads we all need to keep in mind:
    a quantum leap is the distance traveled by an electron from one energy shell around an atom to one another. With this traversal, energy is released in the form of a single photon - light, or other parts of the electro-magnetic spectrum. As such, in atomic science, it is one of the smallest distances that can be traveled. So a "quantum leap" here would be the least possible improvement that could be discernable. How about just a "leap".
    OMG that is the best post I have seen in a while.

Sorry, I can't resist...

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    Silver lining in Amoke's departure...
    Students won't have to lock their dorm rooms as much?

Go Bears!

Doesn't Jay John coach the "bigs"? Drills and practice--mostly on fundamentals--is the only way Max is going to develop a sufficient skill level, and the basketball IQ, to make a meaningful contribution. How quickly Monty and John can hasten that learning curve will be a key for this season.