Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the chances Brock Mansion becomes the starting QB?

What are the chances Brock Mansion becomes the starting QB?

This guy's name showed so much promise?

What happened?

Can he rebound and bring national attention to our program?

(I edited this post to remove the "OT" prefix from the subject line - because this thread is clearly ON topic. = GB)
    Last edited by GreyBear; 05-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.

I think we could use another Brock on our offensive line.....

Shown a lot of promise? When.

Blame the Guru

JT recruited Mansion, and has given him almost no snaps. If he was so great out of high school, then JT made a mistake analyzing his potential, OR he has failed to develop him. If JT is the all-knowing QB Guru, then something is wrong...

I'm inclined to blame JT's conservative game management, as the reason Cal's backup QBs see little playing time - even in trouncings. While it is true that a backup can throw interceptions and change the outcome of a game, it is also true that great programs find the ways to get backups quality snaps.

i blame either this guy

or this guy

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    I didn't say he showed a lot of promise. Read what I wrote again.

CalGreg
    Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    When he was clearly and consistently outperforming Beau Sweeney in practice last year, right up until the day after JT kicked out the media.

With that in mind, I can only conclude that the media's presence was holding Beau back.

~Greg

Brock was recruited for the upside. He had limited experience in high school with a not top division league. He had upside but not a lot of game time.

Texas even tried to grab him after his commitment to Cal.

I am surprised Brock has not bolted to a division two school to get some snaps before he graduates................

If you don't get the snaps in game time, how are you going to progress?

This ties into the lack of QB development @ Cal....................

Go Bears!

Pac 10 football is big business. JT will play the guys he feels gives Cal the best chance to win. I do not always agree with his decisions but he is paid well to win games. He is also charged with developing boys into men. Sports like life is competitive the best will play and the others need to work like crazy to get their shot. Wanna play? Get better.

I would have liked to see Sweeney or Mansion get some meaningful snaps last season to help build better depth. Did not happen, but each will still have eligibility remaining after this season so if they want to play then get better and be ready. Riley could get hurt and they could need to play now as well.

Brock does have a great name though. When I first saw his name on the recruiting sites a few years back, I thought it was made up. Sound like he should be starring in a movie with Jenna Jameson.

A country rock song for Brock from cyberbearbackers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY-QQwlrmwo

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    so much promise?

national attention to our program?

Brock was recruited for the upside. He had limited experience in high school with a not top division league. He had upside but not a lot of game time.
    Exactly...Brock played for East Dillon, which is an underperforming school on the other side of the tracks...his coach, Eric Taylor, was pretty good, having come over from the rabid and wealthy powerhouse Dillon High Panthers, but the facilities at East Dillon were poor and his teammates a rag tag bunch....oh wait...nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by dinan3 View Post
    I'm beginning to really dislike that word "upside," especially when it comes to h.s. QB's with low CMP%. Whatever evaluation factors JT used in 2005 (Ayoob), 2006 (Riley), 2007 (Mansion), and 2008 (Sweeney) to determine QB "upside" could use a lot of tweaking.

It's so ridiculous that Cody Kessler hasn't been offered yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MSaviolives View Post
    Exactly...Brock played for East Dillon, which is an underperforming school on the other side of the tracks...his coach, Eric Taylor, was pretty good, having come over from the rabid and wealthy powerhouse Dillon High Panthers, but the facilities at East Dillon were poor and his teammates a rag tag bunch....oh wait...nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Nasal Mucus Goldenbear View Post
    especially given his interest in us...

Quote Originally Posted by Nasal Mucus Goldenbear View Post
    I'm beginning to really dislike that word "upside," especially when it comes to h.s. QB's with low CMP%. Whatever evaluation factors JT used in 2005 (Ayoob), 2006 (Riley), 2007 (Mansion), and 2008 (Sweeney) to determine QB "upside" could use a lot of tweaking.

Kind of weird that Cal is the only school on the west coast not to offer this kid.. I'm beginning to think that maybe Kyle Boehm gave JT a silent verbal.. otherwise, why not offer the kid since Wittek gone now... wonder if MB can shed some light..though I don't think he wants to be forthcoming on this issue

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    This guy's name showed so much promise?

What happened?

Can he rebound and bring national attention to our program?

Yes, I get jokes, but that's a brick mansion, not a brock mansion.

He does have the best Cal QB name I can remember since Barry Bronk, but Barry did nothing at Cal either. I hope brick, er Brock, does better.
    Nice guys finish lunch.
    ... Douglas Kenney (1947-1980)