Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Green

Aaron Green

Made his top four, said he will visit. Competition: FSU, Nebraska, Texas. Nebraska is assumed to be the leader as his brother goes there.

Wow. Surprised we made the cut. 5* RB out of Texas, rated the #3 RB in the nation by Scout - you'd think he'd be automatic to Texas with an offer from them. His HS team even wears burnt orange! I guess we should know as well as anyone that family can make a difference in recruiting.

Hopefully we can impress him on his visit and sway him from Nebraska - unless of course he wants to major in engineering like Suh. It that's the case then we're toast.

Quote Originally Posted by bear1027 View Post
    Wow. Surprised we made the cut. 5* RB out of Texas, rated the #3 RB in the nation by Scout - you'd think he'd be automatic to Texas with an offer from them. His HS team even wears burnt orange! I guess we should know as well as anyone that family can make a difference in recruiting.

Hopefully we can impress him on his visit and sway him from Nebraska - unless of course he wants to major in engineering like Suh. It that's the case then we're toast.

Surprised. I live in SA so now I may have to check him out in fall.

nm

Loyal Bear
    How is the board horrible? I'm confused - isn't this the politics forum?

As for the running back, it's not like UT has had a great running game the past several years. They went spread with McCoy and didn't run the ball as effectively as they wanted - not surprised Green took notice. Would be surprised to see him leave the big 12 but stranger things have happened in recruiting - see Keenan Allen as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by easdog1 View Post
    How is the board horrible? I'm confused - isn't this the politics forum?
    As for the running back, it's not like UT has had a great running game the past several years. They went spread with McCoy and didn't run the ball as effectively as they wanted - not surprised Green took notice. Would be surprised to see him leave the big 12 but stranger things have happened in recruiting - see Keenan Allen as an example.
    Yeah. If you are going to talk football; please be kind enough to begin the post with "OT".

We will get a visit out of Green; and that gives the Bears a good chance.

apparently his bro plays for Nebraska and is considered a heavy Nebraska lean....

I'm sure Ron Gould will talk about Cal's track record of putting RBs in the NFL, and convince the kid that things will work out just fine if he goes to school here.

Quote Originally Posted by surewest View Post
    Made his top four, said he will visit. Competition: FSU, Nebraska, Texas. Nebraska is assumed to be the leader as his brother goes there.
    Not saying I'm smarter than everyone else here, but I've been around the block on recruiting, and if we get Aaron Green's signature on a Cal LOI, I will eat my hat (and love every bite).

It's just so unlikely at this point in the recruiting cycle as to not be worth worrying about. The only way we'll get a visit is if he hasn't committed to Nebraska by the season.

So I offer a suggestion to everyone who is getting worked up about this: If he hasn't committed by September and you see him at a Cal football game during a weekend where a lot of committed Cal recruits are also visiting, and those committed recruits are top quality superstars, then, and only then, should you get excited about Green.

In the meantime, I think the guys who are much more likely are Bigelow and Carlisle.

Disagree with part of your philosophy here.

Personally, yes, I don't really think about it in May for just the reasons you say.

But I don't go for the I'll eat my hat, no one should talk about it or get excited. Its so "we're not worthy". Chances are not high that we get an LOI as they aren't high for any top player from Texas until we hear more.

But I don't begrudge others wanting to talk about it. Especially since this is at least an initial "hearing more". He cut a list to 4. We're on it. That makes it worthy for discussion. (not really for me, but certainly for others). And that makes it more than a complete pipe dream for Cal and we shouldn't act like we got no shot because we're Cal. I don't see anyone jumping up and acting like he's about to sign.

Also, as has been discussed before, there is benefit in making top 4 lists even if the kid doesn't come here. Kids talk. If this kid thinks Cal is great - good enough to be top 4 but not where he ultimately decides to go - that message may be heard by other recruits. Buzz is a big part of recruiting.

Fair enough, I should have been clearer about why you shouldn't pay attention, and it isn't because "we're not worthy." We're very worthy.

In this case, the kid's brother goes to Nebraska and Nebraska has long been thought to be a heavy favorite. We'll know if that's true or not when he decides to commit early or go on his trips. If he goes on his trips in the fall, then, and only then is this worth getting worked up about.

Following recruiting too early is unhealthy. I'm not trying to say people don't have the right to do it (lord knows I'm not against addictive drugs being legal), but I am trying to say that you should take it easy on that sh!t.

good points OTB.... good to "enjoy the ride" but never get too high or too low at this point in the game...

Quote Originally Posted by calbear77x View Post
    Fair enough, I should have been clearer about why you shouldn't pay attention, and it isn't because "we're not worthy." We're very worthy.

In this case, the kid's brother goes to Nebraska and Nebraska has long been thought to be a heavy favorite. We'll know if that's true or not when he decides to commit early or go on his trips. If he goes on his trips in the fall, then, and only then is this worth getting worked up about.

Following recruiting too early is unhealthy. I'm not trying to say people don't have the right to do it (lord knows I'm not against addictive drugs being legal), but I am trying to say that you should take it easy on that sh!t.
    Does that mean we could be a favorite for Rigsbee and Thompson?