Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Tom Hanks such a big Cal fb fan?

"Nice try" - do you have the exact quote, broblood? Or are you just being an ass?

Quote Originally Posted by AunBear89 View Post
    On Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports show, he asked Hanks what his biggest sports fantasy is.

Hanks replied "Winning the Heisman trophy for the Cal Bears" (or words to that effect).
    I think it was Bob Costas, and he asked, "Is there anything you would trade your Oscar for?"

Tom Hanks: "If it were a Heisman Trophy as running back for the California Golden Bears, now that... that would be something special." Or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal_Fan2 View Post
    Not to name drop but I went to school with Tom Hanks at Skyline High in Oakland. He was the class of 74 and I was the class of 75. No, we were not buddies but I chatted with him on numerous occasions, sometimes after cast parties etc. He actually wanted to go to Cal but did not have the grades...he was a good student but not great. He ended up going to both Chabot College and I believe Sac. State... I still remember to this day my twin brother calling me and telling me to turn on the TV cause Tom Hanks was on Bosom Buddies....
    not trying to start anything but seeing that oakland tech is by far the best high school in the universe... GO BULLDOGS!!!

This is what Hanks said.

Bob Costas: What would you rather have on your shelf, an Oscar, or a Heisman Trophy?
    Tom Hanks: If I were to play, you know, halfback for the California Golden Bears, then that would be substantial."

Youtube video here, 26 seconds in (04-21-2009):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LOIzz_gl68

There was a thread on this as well (04-29-2009):
    http://www.bearinsider.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12582

How often does that come up for an actor? I've heard him several times talk about all the time he spent on Telegraph. I think saying you'd trade your Oscar for a Heisman specifically from Cal is a pretty good shout out.

Maybe the guy isn't at the Duritz level, but I don't think you say something like that unless you are a fan (and I'm sure he knows Cal has used it in marketing video also). Don't see any reason to question his fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    Maybe the guy isn't at the Duritz level, but I don't think you say something like that unless you are a fan (and I'm sure he knows Cal has used it in marketing video also). Don't see any reason to question his fandom.
    Saw that video on Youtube, Hanks is awesome. I mean, come on, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story, You've Got Mail, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Saw that video on Youtube, Hanks is awesome. I mean, come on, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story, You've Got Mail, etc., etc.
    ....The Pacific, Band of Brothers...

Quote Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
    ....The Pacific, Band of Brothers...

"Houston, we have a problem"

their was a 2011 cal recruit video featurin hanks and mentionin Arod after he won the SB but i cant find it on youtube anymore

Quote Originally Posted by burritos View Post
    Did he go to Cal?
    Resurrecting this thread, looks like Cal Bears official youtube page has found and posted Tom Hanks' response, which hopefully should stay there for good this time.

Bob Costas: What would you rather have on your shelf, an Oscar, or a Heisman Trophy?
    Tom Hanks: You mean a real Heisman Trophy?
    Bob Costas: Assuming they were both yours, and they weren't stolen or pawned..
    Tom Hanks: I can probably get one on ebay. Well, uh Heisman Trophy.. uh well, you know what, if, it it uh.. If I won it playing at, you know, halfback for the California Golden Bears, then that would be substantial, that would be a wonderful thing to have."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srk0DbP9_o4

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elbarto83 View Post
    Resurrecting this thread, looks like Cal Bears official youtube page has found and posted Tom Hanks' response, which hopefully should stay there for good this time.

Tom Hanks: You mean a real Heisman Trophy?
    Bob Costas: Assuming they were both yours, and they weren't stolen or pawned..
    Tom Hanks: I can probably get one on ebay. Well, uh Heisman Trophy.. uh well, you know what, if, it it uh.. If I won it playing at, you know, halfback for the California Golden Bears, then that would be substantial, that would be a wonderful thing to have."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srk0DbP9_o4
    Can we send this to Mixon?

I have begged 3 different directors of development to send Tom Hanks Cal clothing, media guides, invite him to be on the sidelines for the game in L.A. etc.. I showed them the video and none ever made more than the slightest effort to do so. I even gave them a contact person to get in contact with his agent, but crickets. It's a frickin crime!