Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Reading List

Hybrid View

Summer Reading List

I didn't see one posted this year, but I am about to take some time off from work and am trying to get some good reads for my annual decompression time.

Personally I have been enraptured with the novel by Stieg Larsson entitled "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (or as its Swedish version is entitled "Men Who Hate Women"). An awesome read, plus it is a trilogy with two other books already published and transfered into English. I have the set and am about to devour them.

Forgive me if I am late on the band-wagon for this series, but I don't believe these books were translated into English until just recently.

Anyway, they appear to be excellent reads.

Maybe you have read a good book this summer? If so please share.

By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
    For humorous travel writing, anything Bill Bryson. For good American fiction, anything by John Addiego. For a rewarding genre of compulsive list of classics, all of Hemingway's works. For easy and very expository novels and non-fictions, several Michener's---I loved "Iberia" (twice), and then went to Salamanca, Toledo, and Barcelona, Spain.
    "You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

Sunny, warm Charleston--great golfing weather today

This year is the 50th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by 93gobears View Post

Maybe you have read a good book this summer? If so please share.
    of To Kill a Mockingbird, so I read it for the first time since junior high--I really enjoyed it.

Fun reading--Louis L'Amour--I am reading the Sackett series and I've become hooked. I love early American history, and many of this series are historical novels, so the combination fits neatly into a favorite niche for me. I'm going to have to go to the library, though--I have purchased 19 books this summer, and it's getting to be a little costly....

Hey 93GB,

Larsson's trilogy is awesome. Just finishing up on the last book. Can barely put the damn book down. Even saw the Swedish version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" at the movies. I'm hooked...

Actually just finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on the iPad on the flight back from Asia. Halfway through the second book ("The Girl Who Played With Fire"). This is on track to be the first series to be entirely read on my iPad. Oh, and it's Steve Wozniak's birthday today. Go Cal!

http://coe.berkeley.edu/news-center

Scroll down to near the bottom:

Jul 14, 2010 - National Public Radio - New biotech book by two Berkeley Engineers named in NPR's Summer's Best Science Books

"How To Defeat Your Own Clone And Other Tips For Surviving The Biotech Revolution," by UC Berkeley bioengineering Ph.D. Kyle Kurpinski and bioengineering lecturer Terry D. Johnson, offers up a detailed contingency plan for a future of biotechnological marvel. They've engineered a whirlwind tour that leaves you amused, yet newly fluent in bioengineering and human genetics. Their premise may be fantasy, but the science is real, and the authors' comic book spunk delivers a serious message."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128462652

Mr. Chuckkkky

I just finished Lullaby.
    It is definitely one of Palahniuks BEST endings.
    Probably his most underrated book and I love his writings.

Don't know where you live, but did you see that the Swedish American Hall in SF had an evening with Palahniuk in May. Wanted to go. Heard it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymoreBear View Post
    I just finished Lullaby.
    It is definitely one of Palahniuks BEST endings.
    Probably his most underrated book and I love his writings.
    That was a good one, although I think my favorite book of his is Survivor.

To Kill a Mockingbird

of To Kill a Mockingbird, so I read it for the first time since junior high--I really enjoyed it.
    My wife recently gave me this on CD (11 disks), narrated by Sissy Spacek. It was a very enjoyable listen while traveling to/from the Northwest the past week. A powerful story, and with the Gregory Peck Cal connection.

I agree

The Melinium series that starts with the Girl with the Dragon tattoo is great.
    Then there is Pastwatch by orson scott card, a great Sci-fi/historical read. Also the hot book, The Help.

All great reads!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlfromCal View Post
    No way! For some reason I have been thinking about Atticus Finch all summer.

That will be one of my first pick ups. That and JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.

Thanks Big Al, and good health to you.

I liked "Dragon Tattoo", but I have to admit I'm finding the 2nd book in the series, "The Girl Who Played With Fire", to be really plodding and tedious. I realize I'm in the minority regarding the late Stieg Larsson but I just have to say, he might not be everyone's cup of tea.

The movie for "Dragon Tattoo" was solidly good, though.

If you didn't like the second, you're not likely to enjoy the third. Longer with more detail and more tangents. If you liked the first two you'll likely enjoy the third.

Quote Originally Posted by 93gobears View Post
    No way! For some reason I have been thinking about Atticus Finch all summer.

It's been out for some time but check out Guns, Germs and Steel if you ever have the desire to understand how certain societies have managed to outpace others for power and influence. Im reading it now, and it certainly has opened my eyes to the raw power of natural selection and luck in determining the haves and have-nots of history.

Also, anything written by David Mitchell. Dude's a genius. Critics will be trying to figure out how he summoned the demons necessary to write Cloud Atlas for ages.