Thread: Did Gregory's schemes ruin our D and O?

Did Gregory's schemes ruin our D and O?

From the Camp 7 Notes:

"As for the other side of the ball, the offensive line is seeing different fronts and schemes than they've ever practiced against, so it's keeping them on their toes and forcing them to adjust their style of play and technique.

"It's great to work each other through that stuff," said Tedford. "The defense is moving very quickly."

So it begs the question, has Gregory's soft defense also been hindering our offense by not giving our O-line different looks? I mean, how much can you learn when you keep facing 3 man rushes? Could this explain why we looked so bad against more multiple defense, like Oregon last year?

Quote Originally Posted by ducky23 View Post
    From the Camp 7 Notes:

"As for the other side of the ball, the offensive line is seeing different fronts and schemes than they've ever practiced against, so it's keeping them on their toes and forcing them to adjust their style of play and technique.

"It's great to work each other through that stuff," said Tedford. "The defense is moving very quickly."

So it begs the question, has Gregory's soft defense also been hindering our offense by not giving our O-line different looks? I mean, how much can you learn when you keep facing 3 man rushes? Could this explain why we looked so bad against more multiple defense, like Oregon last year?
    The proof is in the pudding ... or shall we say on the football field. Our defense and special teams killed us in many games in the past, and the two areas of play were deteriorating. Thank gawd, JT realized this, and came to his senses. I am looking forward to a surprise season!

Nah

The scout teams simulate the schemes of the upcoming week's opponents during the season. Since it's only camp and we're still installing both our O and D, any 1's-or-2's vs. 1's-or-2's drills would at this point feature our own O scheme facing our own D scheme (which might help prepare the O line for facing, say, Oregon later on), but it won't be that way once we start focusing on Davis or thereafter.

Whether Gregory's D (and Alamar's ST) hurt us (including the O) during games is another story...

From the Camp 7 Notes:

It is all clear now. No wonder our pass offense kept attempting all those short outs--they worked in practice.

By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
    Coach Gregory will be a genius at Boise Stu. He'll lead masses of followers and they will worship his tenants---Gregory's Rules of Flex. There will be peace, excellence, and defense in victory on the blue turf. And BSu will win the 2010 CFB NC.
    Last edited by oskihasahearton; 08-15-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    "You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

Gregory gets an undeservedly bad rap around here. I felt it was time for him to move on, and am excited and guardedly optimistic about the new direction Pendergast is taking the team in. But, prior to last year (which was a giant disaster), Gregory had some really great showings that are often forgotten, see multiple games against SC and Oregon. Gregory's D also had to put up with the at best adequate at worst woeful field position from consistently bad Special Teams which is a huge handicap.

So, I'd like to take the OP's loaded question, and rephrase it: with the more multiple looks on defense that Cal's offense is facing these days, will that translate to more success dealing with similar teams when it comes time to execute on the field? I'd have to say I had the same exact thought triggered by that the quote. I'd have to think it will help some to have the 1st & 2nd team Cal defenses (NOT just the scout team) running looks and schemes that are more multiple, giving the Cal offense (in particular the OL) more practice dealing with that type of scheme.

By the way, I saw an interesting comment from Jim Schwartz (HC Detroit Lions) about facing four 3-4 defenses in preseason. He noted that they will play 8 3-4 teams during the season and suggested that he was very happy to have four 3-4 teams to play in the pre-season, since the Lions run a 4-3 and it's better to run against an authentic 3-4 team than to simply simulate one in practice leading up to a game.
    Last edited by elpbear; 08-14-2010 at 11:13 AM.

When Gregory had confidence in his own personnel, his defenses were more than adequate, especially given the firepower that the offense has had (on paper) in those years. In a 3-4 defense, you better have a damn good weakside backer that can get to the QB. In 2008, Cal had a damn good one. In 2009, Cal did not. 2010.... ?

For me watching his no pressure/prevent defense all those years was a torture and IMHO cost us at least 2 titles. Hope Clancy is an improvement. I'll wait n see.

True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_purple_drank View Post
    When Gregory had confidence in his own personnel, his defenses were more than adequate, especially given the firepower that the offense has had (on paper) in those years. In a 3-4 defense, you better have a damn good weakside backer that can get to the QB. In 2008, Cal had a damn good one. In 2009, Cal did not. 2010.... ?
    In 2008, if I remember the stat correctly, Cal had 26th ranked defense in the nation. Nothing to write home about.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    It is all clear now. No wonder our pass offense kept attempting all those short outs--they worked in practice.
    LOL. I bet during the Oregon game Riley was like, "I don't understand. We have good players on defense. Why are these guys superhuman?"

I blame Tedford. He should have made Gregory offensive coordinator; that way the defense would have gotten more confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalFang View Post
    In 2008, if I remember the stat correctly, Cal had 26th ranked defense in the nation. Nothing to write home about.
    Correct. That same year, Cal was 47th ranked in offense.

Gregory's defense (when working), by design, traded yards and FGs for TDs. So it's misleading to look at overall defensive ranking, without considering scoring rank. (I don't think it's reasonable to look JUST at scoring defense, but it should certainly be considered).

Here's the team rankings for Total Offense, Total Defense, and Scoring Defense for 2004-2008 (2009 isn't not available and the D was awful last year anyway) from http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank....rdef&site=org:

2004 5th, 24th, 8th
    2005 26th, 46th, 26th
    2006 12th, 91st, 32nd
    2007 50th, 58th, 58th
    2008 47th, 26th, 23rd

In 2004, in Cal's only regular season loss to USC, Cal gave up only one TD and three FG through three quarters, with the final tally being 23 points. That USC team scored an average of 38 points a game while giving up an average of 13 points a game, finished the year undefeated, and is considered one of the best teams of the last 20-30 years. Cal's offense scored 17 points. I'd be hard pressed to pin this loss on the defense.

Obviously, the Texas Tech loss stung. We were badly undermotivated and outcoached in that game, and the D looked slow and befuddled pretty much the entire second half. I'd call this Gregory's worst game, until...

In 2006, there was the Tennessee game. Well, the whole team melted down there, and we never had any shot of winning the game. Who knows what might have happened if the D hadn't given up those three quick TD's to start the 3rd quarter, though. Losing Mixon and putting a green Syd with cast in his place was devastating.

We then lost to Arizona 24-17, with the defense giving up 17 points. NL was 17/36 1TD 3INT including a pick six for the winning margin. The offense scored a grand total of 10 points (DJ scored a PR TD). Yeah, I can't really pin that loss on the defense.

Then there's the USC game. Cal held USC (who averaged just over 30 points a game that year) to 9 points through three quarters, and 23 for the game. We scored a measly 7 points on offense; the defense had a safety for the final tally of 9. Can't really pin that loss on the defense either.

I'm not going to try and defend 2007-2009. For one, particularly toward the end of that timespan, I can't. 2008 was a blip in the middle of a bad and awful year, respectively. For two, I don't have enough time to keep going. And frankly, it's too depressing, because even with better defense the offense wasn't good enough to get us a shot at a Rose Bowl (unlike 2004 and 2006 where we came within a you-know-what hair of going).

Gregory had some pretty good defenses over the years, despite all of the hand-wringing on the board. I wish him well, and I look forward to what Clancy Pendergast does with the defense moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by GB54 View Post
    I blame Tedford. He should have made Gregory offensive coordinator; that way the defense would have gotten more confidence.
    LOL... Bob had a few good defenses, but I'm glad we're finally able to use the past tense to discuss him.