Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandy: Who Scheduled The Game At Reno?

Sandy: Who Scheduled The Game At Reno?

It was a disaster. Game on the road at a mid-major. Short week. 5000 feet elevation. Heavy winds. Gambling distraction for our players. Not a particularly good recruiting area for us. Only one player on our roster from northern Nevada. Facing a great senior QB at his home stadium. Never gone to their place although we have played them 25 times in the last 100 years (and had lost only one of those 25 till last night). It was a disaster waiting to happen and it did.

Here is a few facts from radio broadcast of University of Nevada football game broadcast last night (Reno 630 AM):
    . Coach Tedford said that he did not schedule this game (and sounded very concerned about it's being scheduled in Reno) when asked by Nevada football broadcaster why a road game on a short week and why Cal has traveled to Reno for the first time ever (this was before the kick-off)
    . Nevada Athletic Director strongly thanked Sandy for arranging the game and arranging for Cal coming to Nevada to help Nevada have a very rare (first ever?) sell out crowd at their stadium (this was during the half-time)

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Yah, look how Kansas did it in basketball. When we had our senior-laden team, we go to Allen Fieldhouse. When we are rebuilding, they come to us. I'd rather do that and do a 1 for 1, rather than a 2 for 1 and go to Reno with this Nevada team. Who cares that we demolish these guys at home with their "normal" team? The damage has been done.

If I wasn't such a Cal homer, I would've called this a "trap game" and I did give hints during the Summer that is was going to be such a game....but we looked SO good the first two games.

It was a trap game all the way. In fact, it couldn't have been better set up any other way.

We should stomp on Nevada in 2012 and 2016 @ Berkeley, but who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by calbear80 View Post
    It was a disaster. Game on the road at a mid-major. Short week. 5000 feet elevation. Heavy winds. Gambling distraction for our players. Not a particularly good recruiting area for us. Only one player on our roster from northern Nevada. Facing a great senior QB at his home stadium. Never gone to their place although we have played them 25 times in the last 100 years (and had lost only one of those 25 till last night). It was a disaster waiting to happen and it did.

Here is a few facts from radio broadcast of University of Nevada football game broadcast last night (Reno 630 AM):
    . Coach Tedford said that he did not schedule this game (and sounded very concerned about it's being scheduled in Reno) when asked by Nevada football broadcaster why a road game on a short week and why Cal has traveled to Reno for the first time ever (this was before the kick-off)
    . Nevada Athletic Director strongly thanked Sandy for arranging the game and arranging for Cal coming to Nevada to help Nevada have a very rare (first ever?) sell out crowd at their stadium (this was during the half-time)
    Exactly. Sandy has done a lot of good for Cal athletics, but this was estupido mucho.

Athletic directors should not be in charge of scheduling - in any sport. Leave that up to the director of operations or something. Somebody with some knowledge on that particular sport.

Hopefully, getting murked by a WAC school in their rinky-dink "stadium" teaches her a lesson.

Lets put Sandy as the #1 reason we loose!!!!!!!!! Maybe we should not have booked for our first 2 games patsies because it gave us a false sense of superiority.

This is a bunch of horse crap....either Cal is good enough to go on the road and win or we aren't. Sandy has done tons of good things here. Maybe Sandy should petition we move to the WAC where we can finish 3rd every year

Quote Originally Posted by Cal_Fan2 View Post
    This is a bunch of horse crap....either Cal is good enough to go on the road and win or we aren't. Sandy has done tons of good things here. Maybe Sandy should petition we move to the WAC where we can finish 3rd every year
    +1. Sandy scheduled this game long before knowing how our personnel would match up vs Nevada. A good Cal team should be able to beat a good WAC team (Boise State maybe the only exception).

Don't blame the scheduling.

Blame our coaches mostly.
    Blame our players.
    Blame Riley.

We Need To Know

Who scheduled this game? When and why? If it was a long time ago, then the person did not know about their super senior QB who ripped our defense to shreds. But, the other facts remain the same:
    . Short week
    . 5000 feet altitude
    . Night game (We do npt have lights in our stadium and rarely play at night. Our record for night games is below .500 in recent years)
    . They are a mid-major
    . Northen Nevada is not a recruiting hotbed for us.
    . Etc.

LafayetteBear
    What kind of ****ty thread is this! Calbear80, are you telling us that you want to blame the football team's inability to beat a Nevada team which had, until last night, gone something like 1-18 in its last 19 games against teams from BCS conferences, ON SANDY??!!

There is no way we should have lost to these guys. We will get out revenge next year at CMS. I trust you will be there, cheering the Bears on.

I Will Always Cheer Our Bears

And I care enough to expect the people who schedule our games to be smart about it. You should have heard Coach Tedford's radio interview last night before the game. He was not happy about this game being scheduled in Reno under these circumstances. You should have also heard Nevada's AD gloating about Sandy arranging for this game.

LafayetteBear
    OK, fine. Maybe I went off on you a bit, calbear80. But put me among the people who enjoy sneering at schools like Florida, who tend to schedule only patsies for OOC games, and has not played an OOC game outside the State of Florida in YEARS. We could and should have beaten these guys, and I am not disposed to put any blame on Sandy for this loss (unless she was working with Clancy on coaching our defense).
    Last edited by LafayetteBear; 09-18-2010 at 09:43 PM.

This is crazy, scheduling is a crapshoot. An "A" team the year you sign the contract can be a "C" team by the time you play them and vice versa. Unless Sandy, or anyone else for that matter, is clairvoyant, you schedule games that make the most sense at the time based on the teams with available open dates.

Not only that, but if you want to lessen the risks of the unknown, you need to schedule a year or two in advance. But then there's a much smaller pool of available teams with open dates that correspond to yours; so your choices are limited. If you want specific teams you'll most likely need to schedule several years in advance, but then you have no idea of what their "ABC" rank will actually be when you play them.

These things are rarely as simple or cut-and-dried as they seem.

As I always say, it's far easier to criticize decisions than it is to make them.

I am not sure why anyone thinks that we should have beaten Nevada. They are a better football team than Cal this year. I watched the first two games for both teams and would have made Nevada at least a 7 point favorite in their home stadium. Oregon will score more points and defeat us by a bigger margin than Nevada because Oregon has a good defense which Nevada does not and that will give them even more opportunities to score. However, I will take Nevada's quarterback over Oregon's any day of the week. I have watched him now for three games and he has been great in all of them. Having an offensive coordinator who was terrible at Oregon and a defensive coordinator who has no idea how to defend the pistol or spread for that matter (in addition to an Alex Smith type quarterback) is not conducive to winning football games against good opponents. Tedford keeps signing elite 11 type quarterbacks but he doesn't seem to put enough emphasis on finding ones who are really accurate passers. Although I went to Serra years ago, I have not had a chance to see Boehm from Mitty play though is team is struggling mightily for a supposed power. Hopefully, someone will tell me that he has some type of touch. For that matter what is Hinder's QB skill set and is he an accurate passer since I have never seen him play either. I assume that Bridgeford is out of the equation for this year because he is hurt. If that is not true Tedford should at least be giving him a chance because like the SF 49ers (I sadly have season tickets for them) both teams have 3 less than adequate quarterbacks. Mike Singletary is out to lunch if he truly believes that you can have a really successful team without a great quarterback who has good football instincts and is more than a game manager. Kevin Riley and Alex Smith aren't even good game managers. I fear both Cal and the 49ers are going to struggle a lot this year if they keep the status quo at quarterback. So you don't think that I am a totally negative person who doesn't appreciate good things... it is really nice to finally have a good Special Teams coach. One out of three is a start in the right direction.