Thread: Move Allen to Conte's Spot

Move Allen to Conte's Spot

Moving Allen to Chris's spot probably improves the defense a lot more than it hurts the offense. Ross is a fine starting receiver alongside Marvin. We need another playmaker on defense besides MM. It seems clear from the Nevada game at least he probably would have had more impact on that side of the ball. Maybe he's able to help break up a 3rd down pass or tackle that QB once or twice. Conte looks slow out there. Allen can still play some receiver just not every down. I think we really need another playmaker on defense to face these Pac 10 offenses. He's young, but he's a super talent.

I would also move Debo-Johnson into Sofele's spot. That seems like a no brainer.

Alabama had your idea already.

Allen came to Cal in part because Tedford told him he could play WR.

He must be a gem on defense if Bama wanted him there. I would think he would do what's best for the team. He can still play WR, just not every down. Of course, if he completely refuses, then you have to leave him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Alabama had your idea already.

Allen came to Cal in part because Tedford told him he could play WR.
    Actually, Bama was going to put him at WR.

"Coach Saban told me that they want to play me at receiver and line me up on the other side of Julio so teams will be forced to pick someone to double-cover."

http://www.crimsontidelive.com/2009/...n-recruit.html

LafayetteBear
    I understand that Allen wants to play WR. But he must be having misgivings about Riley's ability to get him the ball. If poor QB play is going to limit his usefulness on offense, then perhaps playing him at safety is a better way, at least this year, to utilize his rare talents to their greatest extent. Ount returner is also a possibility, but that scares me it's a very dangerous position. Special teams players looking to make a name for themselves are always coming in at full speed looking to blow up the punt returner.

And, IMO, Conte is lousy. Slow, can't cover (either as a CB or a safety), always leaves a big cushion. Just cannot get it done.
    Last edited by LafayetteBear; 09-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Allen has 11 receptions and 17.6 ypc in what combines to about five quarters of football. Without Allen and Jones, our offense would look a lot like it did the last two years, but with less game-breaking ability. Riley's inconsistency might limit our ability to win, but not Allen's ability to get the ball. Riley's completed 64% of his passes this season. Conte isn't the reason we lost to Nevada. Putting one of our only big play threats at safety in a defense that thrives on blitzing rather than coverage won't solve our problems.

If you want to play an aggressive style defense, that's all the more reason to have a saftey with some speed and instincts. It's not like he can't play any WR, and it's not like Marvin and Ross can't get deep, and it's not like Allen is killing people deep anyway.

True Blue Golden Bear
    As good as he may be on Defense, we are more desperate for his talents at WR. Jones is becoming a star and Ross has improved but is still not separating from DBs. After those two who do we have? Stone hands Calvin and Loggy Loggy Lageman. Uh, keep Allen on offense.

LafayetteBear
    How much did it help having Allen at WR on Friday night? I know the defense sucked and we gave up too many points, but the fact is that our offense was Vereen, and Allen was in the game for almost the entire time. If Riley cannot get the ball to Allen, Allen cannot do his thing at WR. He does not need anyone else's help to do his thing at safety.

Helmet Allen made the tackle on two of the interceptions...

so you might be right. The other one was a pick six.

GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by pappysghost View Post
    Moving Allen to Chris's spot probably improves the defense a lot more than it hurts the offense. Ross is a fine starting receiver alongside Marvin. We need another playmaker on defense besides MM. It seems clear from the Nevada game at least he probably would have had more impact on that side of the ball. Maybe he's able to help break up a 3rd down pass or tackle that QB once or twice. Conte looks slow out there. Allen can still play some receiver just not every down. I think we really need another playmaker on defense to face these Pac 10 offenses. He's young, but he's a super talent.

I would also move Debo-Johnson into Sofele's spot. That seems like a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
    How much did it help having Allen at WR on Friday night? I know the defense sucked and we gave up too many points, but the fact is that our offense was Vereen, and Allen was in the game for almost the entire time. If Riley cannot get the ball to Allen, Allen cannot do his thing at WR. He does not need anyone else's help to do his thing at safety.
    Allen was not 100%. Tedford said in a Saturday morning interview with Mike Schumannn of ABC7 that Allen didn't practice all week because of a slightly sprained ankle and a hip problem.

I'm sniffing desperation these days at the good old Cal Bears Insider.....

last year Cal had one of the worst WR corp in the Pac-10...next year they might have the best...so, I hope he stays right where he is....