Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UCSB opportunity available to Adrian & Aguirre this season...

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    (except both had 4 fouls)
    If you check the box score, you'll see that Angelei committed two intentional fouls in a row with less than a minute remaining, so her final foul count is not reflective of anything.

On the other hand, Kelsey got called for two consecutive fouls (her 3rd and 4th) at the beginning of the second half. My first instinct was to look at the officials to see if they were Pac-10 veterans, some of whom loved to call fouls on her. Sure enough, Melissa Barlow, Brenda Pantoja, Chuck Gonzalez (all mostly competent but with the exception of Pantoja, given to the tendency of watching certain players much more closely than others).

Sometimes the complete box score is easier to analyze than Gametracker (though it does not negate the fact that UCSB sucked).

On a related note, Casey Morris ...
    Another related note - former Cal signee Lenita Sanford finally made her Division I debut with UNLV as a starter in their exhibition vs. Grand Canyon, a good Division II program. The box score shows a line of 20 minutes, 6 points, 13 rebounds, 4 blocks, 4 PF's.

By the way, she's listed as a junior, for those who wondered whether she preserved a year of eligibility due to playing in only 1 of her 3 JC years (looks like she did not).
    Last edited by WayneBear; 11-12-2010 at 08:26 AM.

On a related note, Casey Morris started for Texas Tech in their 92-46 exhibition win over Angelo State. Casey had 11 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals in 28 minutes.

http://www.texastech.com/gametracker...&startschool=&
    Will be interesting to see how she does against us when we play Texas Tech in the Las Vegas Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneBear View Post
    Sometimes the complete box score is easier to analyze than Gametracker
    Thanks WayneBear for the link. If I find nothing else to do I might check which UCSB players were on the court when CSUMB hit all those threes.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneBear View Post
    If you check the box score...
    I've noticed the Cal news archives contain only the box scores, not the play-by-play. Some other schools, like Furd, show both. Is there any way to remedy this, or will I have to check our opponent's site after every game?

I've noticed the Cal news archives contain only the box scores, not the play-by-play. Some other schools, like Furd, show both. Is there any way to remedy this, or will I have to check our opponent's site after every game?
    For some stupid reason Cal stopped including the play-by-play last season. Anyone else who is annoyed by this can join me in emailing WBB Director of Operations Sarah Holsinger (sholsinger@berkeley.edu) and asking that the full box score (including the play-by-play) be posted. Sarah is very nice and usually very responsive to complaints.

Bluescriptcal impressive debut for Casey Morris!

I wish that she would have stayed at Cal. She would be in a three-guard rotation now most likely...GO BEARS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUOTE=stu;416178]On a related note, Casey Morris started for Texas Tech in their 92-46 exhibition win over Angelo State. Casey had 11 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals in 28 minutes.

http://www.texastech.com/gametracker...&startschool=&[/QUOTE]

Bluescriptcal UCSB lost 4 of 6 top scorers from last season

and 7 of 12 players from the 2009-2010 team. Please re-read my post to initiate this thread.

Kelsey Adrian's game has really dropped off. I noticed that in one of the Cal-Rutgers game she had a great game as as starter & played 30+ minutes...
    Hopefully she'll find her "game" again. UCSB appears to be allowing her to play SF as opposed in inside as a post where she struggled bigtime at Cal.
    Aguirre had a decent ball-handling game but didn't score much. When these small schools pull upsets-it's almost always when they go off on treys.

Sonoma State nicked the Cal men's team for 13 trifectas on Wednesday night!
    Go Gauchos! GO BEARS!

____________________________________________________________ ____

Both started in UCSB's exhibition loss to Cal State Monterey Bay, but neither stood out in the stats (except both had 4 fouls). Angelei did post 4 assists and 5 boards. The center Mekia Valentine had 11 points and 17 rebounds, but her 3 of 11 from the line may have been the difference. Also CSUMB hit nine threes to UCSB's one.

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/gametrac...&startschool=&

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    Kelsey Adrian's game has really dropped off. ... UCSB appears to be allowing her to play SF as opposed in inside as a post where she struggled bigtime at Cal.
    I recall something she once said about preferring a run and shoot style. Perhaps she should have considered Oregon, but I don't know if Paul Westhead had been hired at the time she transferred. IMO nothing suited her skill set less than playing emergency post in Cal's inside-oriented offense. I rarely disagree with our coaches, but I believe Shantrell would have done much better.

Sonoma State nicked the Cal men's team for 13 trifectas on Wednesday night!
    The way I saw it most of those were in the first half and due to the freshmen playing lousy defense. We fixed that in the second half.

No Comparison Between Cal Men & UCSB Women

The way I saw it most of those were in the first half and due to the freshmen playing lousy defense. We fixed that in the second half.[/QUOTE]

True. Plus, unlike UCSB's women, the Cal men still beat Sonoma St easily.

2 games into the season UCSB still has no wins, with road losses to Pepperdine by 12 and UCLA by 14 (largest lead 29). Kelsey is playing more minutes than anyone but her shooting (7 for 27) hasn't yet come around. Angelei is still starting, but played less than half of each game and had very small numbers in the stats.

Texas Tech stomped our next opponent New Mexico, in Albuquerque, 80-53. Casey apparently played a very efficient 28 minutes: 17 points on 6 for 8 shooting, with 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, and no turnovers.

The drop off in Adrian's game

may be the continuation of the shoulder problem, which is a condition. Its hard to shoot when you have major pain in your shooing shoulder.

Bluescriptcal SHC girls (Jasmin Jackson & Lauren Bell) led Pepperdine's victory over UCSB...

Tierra Rogers former teammates are Pepperdine's top players. GO BEARS!

2 games into the season UCSB still has no wins, with road losses to Pepperdine by 12 and UCLA by 14 (largest lead 29). Kelsey is playing more minutes than anyone but her shooting (7 for 27) hasn't yet come around. Angelei is still starting, but played less than half of each game and had very small numbers in the stats.

Texas Tech stomped our next opponent New Mexico, in Albuquerque, 80-53. Casey apparently played a very efficient 28 minutes: 17 points on 6 for 8 shooting, with 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, and no turnovers.

I hear ya, S71 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    I wish that she would have stayed at Cal. She would be in a three-guard rotation now most likely...GO BEARS!
    I liked Casey, too. She worked hard and did a lot of things well.

Quote Originally Posted by GldnBear71 View Post
    I liked Casey, too. She worked hard and did a lot of things well.
    Casey and Jenine Morris are two excellent Guards that got away. Both shot outside better than expected and additionally Casey with ballhandling abilities and Jenine a lock down defender!!