Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: What does "UCLA" stand for?

  1. #1

    What does "UCLA" stand for?

    I heard it stands for something like "Up at California Losing Always." But maybe I heard it wrong.

    What do the letters U-C-L-A actually stand for? Thanks in advance.

    Last edited by B.A. Bearacus; 10-08-2010 at 10:27 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by B.A. Bearacus View Post
    I heard it stands for something like "Up at California Losing Always." But maybe I heard it wrong.

    What do the letters U-C-L-A actually stand for? Thanks in advance.
    There are other words that are inserted for those initials by some non-ethnic ucla students who are upset at the changing ethnic make up of the ucla student body.

    But I will not go there.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 68great View Post
    There are other words that are inserted for those initials by some non-ethnic ucla students who are upset at the changing ethnic make up of the ucla student body.

    But I will not go there.
    I've heard that one, but then wondered why aren't Cal, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, and UC Davis (or University of Hawaii) all called "UCLA" since that demographic "observation" is even more pronounced elsewhere?

  4. #4
    Those schools all have their respective nicknames to the same end. UCI = University of Chinese Immigrants, etc.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 68great View Post
    There are other words that are inserted for those initials by some non-ethnic ucla students who are upset at the changing ethnic make up of the ucla student body.

    But I will not go there.
    Oh don't be a pussy, just say it. This reminds me of the Louis CK bit about "the N-word".

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 68great View Post
    There are other words that are inserted for those initials by some non-ethnic ucla students who are upset at the changing ethnic make up of the ucla student body.

    But I will not go there.
    Too late

  7. #7
    exactly.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowlBears View Post
    Oh don't be a pussy, just say it. This reminds me of the Louis CK bit about "the N-word".
    Yeah, I don't think it makes me racist to report that I've heard it referred to as the University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians.

  9. #9
    JelaniMcBlunted
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowlBears View Post
    Oh don't be a pussy, just say it. This reminds me of the Louis CK bit about "the N-word".
    Seriously, even if you say it, it's not racist. Who gives a crap? Is it a false statement to say that there are a lot of Asians at UCLA, or Cal, or UC Davis, or UCSD?

    Hey, guess what? Asians are smart and do well in school!!!!!!!!!!! Take that, Asians!!!!

    Yeah, and they are generally hard working too!! BOOOOM!!!!

    Gawddamn I am such a racist....

    It's a funny nickname, based a generality that pretty much true.

  10. #10

    And to think that I always thought it was...

    ...University of California for Lower Achievers.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    I've heard that one, but then wondered why aren't Cal, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, and UC Davis (or University of Hawaii) all called "UCLA" since that demographic "observation" is even more pronounced elsewhere?
    As for Berkeley - maybe because the ethnic diversity issue does not bother the Berkeley students as much as it bothers the UC Students in SoCal.
    (At least this is what I like to believe.)

  12. #12
    drunkoski
    Guest
    right because no one mentions the large asian student body at Cal. never.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by 68great View Post
    As for Berkeley - maybe because the ethnic diversity issue does not bother the Berkeley students as much as it bothers the UC Students in SoCal.
    (At least this is what I like to believe.)
    Last edited by RoseBowlBears; 10-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JelaniMcBlunted View Post
    Seriously, even if you say it, it's not racist. Who gives a crap? Is it a false statement to say that there are a lot of Asians at UCLA, or Cal, or UC Davis, or UCSD?

    Hey, guess what? Asians are smart and do well in school!!!!!!!!!!! Take that, Asians!!!!

    Yeah, and they are generally hard working too!! BOOOOM!!!!

    Gawddamn I am such a racist....

    It's a funny nickname, based a generality that pretty much true.
    No it does NOT make you a racist.
    But when I first heard that definition of UCLA, I did understand that it was used because the non-ethnic person using it was uncomfortable being in the minority after not being in the minority in his/her high school.
    I thought to myself.
    Get used to it since that is what is happening to the California population

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by 68great View Post
    No it does NOT make you a racist.
    But when I first heard that definition of UCLA, I did understand that it was used because the non-ethnic person using it was uncomfortable being in the minority after not being in the minority in his/her high school.
    I thought to myself.
    Get used to it since that is what is happening to the California population
    Quick man! Run and buy a sense of humor!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •