Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hairball's name comes up for Cowboys position

Real Bear

Hairball's name comes up for Cowboys position

Please, let it be.

While Garrett is the interim coach, here's who ESPN tabs as available.

Tier 1: Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, John Fox, Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards and Brian Billick

Tier 2: Rob Ryan, Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier, Perry Fewell and Hue Jackson

Tier 3: Mike Mularkey, Gregg Williams and Marty Mornhinweg

Tier 4: Les Miles, Jim Harbaugh, Butch Davis and Bob Stoops
    Last edited by CGB2813; 11-08-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGB2813 View Post
    Please, let it be.

Tier 1: Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, John Fox, Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards and Brian Billick

Tier 2: Rob Ryan, Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier, Perry Fewell and Hue Jackson

Nah, Jimmy boy is waiting for the niners to can Singletary then he'll be gone in a flash.

JJ is going to want a "big" name coach with attitude so I'm guessing Cowher & Gruden are his twin first choices with Dungy as a fallback if the first two say no. JJ will throwing alot of $$$$ around which will very temping for either Cowher or Gruden to leave TV and head to Arlington.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With increased accomplishment comes increased humility.

I

Quote Originally Posted by CGB2813 View Post
    Please, let it be.

Hairball will have .... welll....er a hair ball's chance in hell!

Golden Bear
    Yep, I think it's safe to say the Yankees of the NFL won't go below Tier 1, and that Jones (who built a $1B stadium, don'tcha know) will go big to make it happen. He'll be crucified if he doesn't. Amount of money spent on a new coach is a dick-measuring contest Jones and Cowboys fans don't want to lose.

Expect the new Cowboys' coach's contract to set an NFL record.

The obstacle to hiring a lot of those guys for Jerry Jones is not going to be money (obviously) -- it's control.

He is just as meddlesome as Al Davis (if not more so) -- he happens to be a bit more with it currently, but that could obviously change.

Any of the top tier coaches that are available are going to demand something close to complete roster control, something that Jerry Jones is loath to hand over.

The reason Parcells left was control, and the reason Wade Phillips stayed so long is that Jerry liked him and he didn't ever argue with him and let him sign who he wanted and show up in the locker room and sideline all the time, and "suggest" plays and schemes.

Should be interesting, anyway.

well said Maxer...

someone like Cowher doesn't have to go anywhere where he is less than coach and essentially GM...

Quote Originally Posted by maxer View Post
    The obstacle to hiring a lot of those guys for Jerry Jones is not going to be money (obviously) -- it's control.

He is just as meddlesome as Al Davis (if not more so) -- he happens to be a bit more with it currently, but that could obviously change.

Any of the top tier coaches that are available are going to demand something close to complete roster control, something that Jerry Jones is loath to hand over.

The reason Parcells left was control, and the reason Wade Phillips stayed so long is that Jerry liked him and he didn't ever argue with him and let him sign who he wanted and show up in the locker room and sideline all the time, and "suggest" plays and schemes.

Real Bear
    Jerry Jones is the next coming of Al Davis. Not sure who would want the job, but it would have to be a really strong personality like Cowher who could tell Jerry to go to hell and not worry about his job, much like Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer were able to do.

I think Harbaugh could be the next Niner coach if the season goes badly. In fact, if the Niners disintegrate I would be shocked if he is NOT the next Niner HC. Timing is everything; it doesn't take much to fall into disfavor and I can't see Harbaugh turning down an opportunity that may not be available in a few years for various reasons including, perhaps, his inability to live up to the expectations emerging at Stanford.

Loyal Bear
    There will be a number of NFL jobs open after the season. Besides Dallas, the Niners, Jacksonville, Carolina, Minnesota, Cincinnatti are all likely and Chicago, Houston, Miami and Denver are possible. Harbaugh will be a potential candidate lots of places. Even though Michigan is bowl eligible that job could still come open as well. And given what occured at Notre Dame that job could open also.

I do not expect Harbaugh to be at Stanford next season.

Loyal Bear
    Stanford attendance being what it is, I don't expect him to stay. Who would, under these circumstances?

no bear
    London or Singapore, and rarely Berkeley, depends on the week
    These reports are pure fiction.

Tedford is headed to the Dallas Cowboys as their next head coach to replace Bum's son.

You heard it here first.

Wade Phillips equals......

Quote Originally Posted by maxer View Post

Loyal Bear
    This is probably the only NFL job John Gruden would take. I'm sure JJ and he could come to a satisfactory accomodation. Of all tier one coaches, Gruden is the most likely to return the Boys to the glory of their former years.

Real Bear
    I like Herm Edwards, but Tier One? Child please.

Oh yeah, he works at ESPN.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
    This is probably the only NFL job John Gruden would take. I'm sure JJ and he could come to a satisfactory accomodation. Of all tier one coaches, Gruden is the most likely to return the Boys to the glory of their former years.
    All signs point to John Gruden. Cowher won't take the job. Tony Dungy doesn't need the job and has indicated he doesn't want to coach again. Jerry will not take a chance on a talented rookie with no head coaching experience. Plus Jerry knows that his management wisdom has taken a hit and will suffer a death blow if his next coach isn't a winner.

I look for Gruden to be head coach and then look for him to package Romo and Felix Jones and Roy Williams to another team for draft picks.

Active Bear
    Jones has hired some puppets before in Gailey, Campo and Phillips before and I can see him sticking with Garrett. If Cowher wants to coach again I see it in Carolina or SD. Harbaugh to SF and Gruden could end up in GB if the Packers don't make a playoff run. As for Dungy, I think he would be foolish to tarnish his legacy ala George Seifert. I'm pretty convinced Manning was the coach there anyways.