Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how Heaps is doing?

Anyone know how Heaps is doing?

I think he went to BYU after Hinder committed to us. I remember thinking that kid was going to be real good some day. Anyone got any info on his development?

He's the starting QB for BYU. At the beginning of the season he wasn't getting all the snaps, but now he's their guy. As might be expected, he had some rough outings initially. It didn't help that that the tougher part of their schedule came in the front half of the season. He's still a work in progress, but he's probably pretty happy he went to BYU given his playing time.

His stat line for this season:
    194 for 349 (55.6&#37, 2052 yards, 11TD, 8 INT

You can watch Heaps tomorrow night.

A heap of a lot better than our upperclassmen. OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by jankoski View Post
    A heap of a lot better than our upperclassmen. OUCH!
    +1

wait heaps was down to us and BYU? i didnt know this... i thought he was between UW and BYU.

Well, guys like Heaps and Gilbert certainly played early in their careers. Yes they did struggle. We'll see if that leads to huge junior and senior years. If so, I would be in favor of playing guys maybe a bit too early if it paid off in a big way two years later!!!

im fairly certain either Heaps had already eliminated us or had committed to BYU when Hinder signed with us. He was down to BYU and UW.

I recall Hinder orally committed to us, then Heaps orally committed within a few days. I don't recall if our Bears were still on Heap's list, but something tells me, yes.

Based on his Bowl game stats i think he made the right choice. If he had come to Cal maybe he would begin to understand the offense around the time he was a 5th year senior.
    It's amazing how these freshman Qb's pick up offenses at other schools. Could be a tipoff that our Offense package is a little, make that a lot, too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by liBEARtyre04 View Post
    im fairly certain either Heaps had already eliminated us or had committed to BYU when Hinder signed with us. He was down to BYU and UW.
    That was my impression -- Heaps was down to two schools, BYU and UW, and he chose BYU over UW and his home state of Washington.

Even if Heaps was a Cal commit, he's due to go on a Mormon Mission (this is my understanding) and I don't think that would be cool with a program (Cal) trying to find stability in the QB position and has a "put all the eggs in one basket" coaching philosophy implemented by the HC for his QBs.

If Heaps went immediately on a Mission after committing to Cal, then cool, we develop another QB in the meantime and wait, but if he took the same path he's taking at BYU (start as a true freshman then take off) than that's disruptive for the program. God knows it would throw off Cal for 2 or 3 years given the way ("Eggs? All in!") we develop QBs if Heaps was made the #1 QB for a year and then left for 2 years.

As a side note, because Mission-players becomes eligible to be recruited again, Heaps can land back at UW if he chooses to. By then (2-3 years from now?) maybe we're signing Bart Houston of De La Salle or better versions of Ricky Lloyd, Dano Graves, Bono Jr. (or whoever is on the future radar screen) and moving on with our business.

I don't buy the too complicated argument. If the kid is smart enough to get into Cal, he is smart enough to understand a complicated playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by 25To20 View Post
    I don't buy the too complicated argument. If the kid is smart enough to get into Cal, he is smart enough to understand a complicated playbook.

well, getting into Cal as a football scholarship student-athlete is almost as easy as simply meeting the minimum NCAA requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by 25To20 View Post
    Maybe Aaron Rodgers is smarter than all our recent QBs and you have to be Aaron Rodgers-smart to run the blasted contraption? Maybe Tedford's offense is Unix/DOS-programmed or something in a world of Windows?