Thread: Franklin at the point?

Franklin at the point?

He spent a bunch of time playing point today. Does anyone thing that we will see more of that this season?

In a earlier thread this year about who the board thought would be the suprise player this year. I said Franklin and said i thought at the begining of Pac 10 play he would be the starting PG. And i got killed for saying it...

Probably we will see more of Franklin at the point

If you heard/read Montgomery's postgame remarks, I would guess that we shall see more of Gary at the point.

Not that he did so great today, but apparently he is more comfortable at the point. I doubt that Jorge minds playing the two, so at least it is another option for the team. Particularly when Smith is playing so poorly (e.g., today).

Now, if Franklin is more comfortable at the point, hopefully his shooting will pick up as it did today) and he will further his recent tendency to be more judicious in his selection of shots.

I didn't see the first half, but what I saw was Franklin running the offense, and shooting in rhythm when he had an open shot. I didn't see him making any spectacular passes, but's not the measure of a good point guard anyway.

I think for his first college game at the 1, he did a solid job. I think we will use three players at the 1, Jorge, Smith and Franklin, and as time goes on I would expect Franklin to get more and more minutes at the PG spot.

If he can avoid turnovers, run the offense and provide solid ball handling, I'd prefer him at the point. I think undersized 2s will be a problem vs conference teams.

However a problem with this team that I see is guarding athletic 3s. Crabbe is our first option, and it looks like Carter is second, but neither are great defenders against that type of player.

Franklin, good job today.

I agree with you about the ahtletic 3's. Today though, Crabbe didn't look very quick with his lateral motion, and almost looked like he was in pain near the end of the game.

A lot of that could be related to his tendinitis though. I don't know anything about powers, but do you think that he could be any help? He doesn't look overly athletic, but he is a really tall guard at 6'7".

Quote Originally Posted by CalRanger View Post
    I didn't see the first half, but what I saw was Franklin running the offense, and shooting in rhythm when he had an open shot. I didn't see him making any spectacular passes, but's not the measure of a good point guard anyway.

I think for his first college game at the 1, he did a solid job. I think we will use three players at the 1, Jorge, Smith and Franklin, and as time goes on I would expect Franklin to get more and more minutes at the PG spot.

If he can avoid turnovers, run the offense and provide solid ball handling, I'd prefer him at the point. I think undersized 2s will be a problem vs conference teams.

However a problem with this team that I see is guarding athletic 3s. Crabbe is our first option, and it looks like Carter is second, but neither are great defenders against that type of player.

Franklin, good job today.

Franklin was quoted as having a different perspective at PG; namely, Gary sees his role as getting the ball to his teammates for good looks. As a result, Franklin is able to get his shooting opportunities within the flow of the offense, which facilitates his better shot selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Twams View Post
    In a earlier thread this year about who the board thought would be the suprise player this year. I said Franklin and said i thought at the begining of Pac 10 play he would be the starting PG. And i got killed for saying it...
    What do you want Carnac--a ribbon? Just kidding.